Variation to Hotkeys (auto-complete text)

quinner

Hi guys

I will be making a program that autofills text into any other windows program, after I have typed a fullstop followed by a few letters.

For example: '.hello' will fill 'Hi my name is Autoit Noob. I don't know what to search the forums for'.

'.noob' will fill 'Yes I have been searching the forums'

All I have been able to find so far is different variations of Hotkey programs.

I have created a program like this in a different language before, but I wanted to know if anyone has created something similar to this in AutoIt already, so that I can take a few tips from it.

Problem is - I dont know what terms to put in the search box.... lol

If anyone knows what this type of function is called, please let me know.

I'll post my completed script up here when I get finished <_<

Ok - It looks like a guy called Larry made something like this that works, but he has been banned...

At least I know that its possible! (and found out its called a Hotstring!)

I shouldn't have any problems making the program, but I have one issue:

I want to be able to make this into a .exe to give to workmates, but these guys wont have a clue how to script.

I'm going to make a gui that will enable them to make their own custom hotstrings.

My issue is - in what type of file can i save these hotstrings so that they can be used without reloading scripts etc?

for example, should it be a .ini / xml / xls ??? which would work best/ what are the problems with each?

Thanks for you help

There is a tool out there that already does exactly what you want to do, so no reinventing the wheel is needed.

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2704,427378,00.asp

The program is called robotype. I've used it. Pretty strait forward to use. Just type the shortcut string, then hit the spacebar. Robotype changes the string to what you have stored. You can make as many macros as you want. Real sweet program.

Yeah, there are loads of them...

Only problem is, our IT department will not be too happy with having to deal with the security issues of external programs, and the possibility of paying for up to 200 licences.

I will also be adding functions to this prog that reads and autofills data from some of our other internal applications - and that just isn't possible with third party software.

So yeah - I will be re-inventing the wheel so to speak.

I got no problem in posting the script here for you guys (minus internal application data of course), I just need a little pointer -

where should the prog store each users hotstrings?

in a .ini / xml / excel file? what do you guys think would be best?

These hotstrings can't be hardcoded, as each users preferences will be different.

The one I showed you is free. No license needed. Also, the sourse code is available to view. so the security issue is address-able.

Is there a particular reason why you wont answer a simple question, or do you not know the answer? Trying to get your post count up?

If you read my post you will know that I need this program to link to other internal programs, and that is not possible with ANY third party software.

So I'm going to ask again - what filetype would be best to store the hotstrings? .ini?

what filetype would be best to store the hotstrings? .ini?

Any filetype you like, it's a question of convinient usage, not safe/compressed storage (unless you need to write passwords and etc.).

Spoiler

Using OS: Win 7 Professional, Using AutoIt Ver(s): 3.3.6.1 / 3.3.8.1

AutoIt_Rus_Community.png AutoIt Russian Community

My Work...

Spoiler

AutoIt_Icon_small.pngProjects: ATT - Application Translate Tool {new}| BlockIt - Block files & folders {new}| SIP - Selected Image Preview {new}| SISCABMAN - SciTE Abbreviations Manager {new}| AutoIt Path Switcher | AutoIt Menu for Opera! | YouTube Download Center! | Desktop Icons Restorator | Math Tasks | KeyBoard & Mouse Cleaner | CaptureIt - Capture Images Utility | CheckFileSize Program

AutoIt_Icon_small.pngUDFs: OnAutoItErrorRegister - Handle AutoIt critical errors {new}| AutoIt Syntax Highlight {new}| Opera Library! | Winamp Library | GetFolderToMenu | Custom_InputBox()! | _FileRun UDF | _CheckInput() UDF | _GUIInputSetOnlyNumbers() UDF | _FileGetValidName() UDF | _GUICtrlCreateRadioCBox UDF | _GuiCreateGrid() | _PathSplitByRegExp() | _GUICtrlListView_MoveItems - UDF | GUICtrlSetOnHover_UDF! | _ControlTab UDF! | _MouseSetOnEvent() UDF! | _ProcessListEx - UDF | GUICtrl_SetResizing - UDF! | Mod. for _IniString UDFs | _StringStripChars UDF | _ColorIsDarkShade UDF | _ColorConvertValue UDF | _GUICtrlTab_CoverBackground | CUI_App_UDF | _IncludeScripts UDF | _AutoIt3ExecuteCode | _DragList UDF | Mod. for _ListView_Progress | _ListView_SysLink | _GenerateRandomNumbers | _BlockInputEx | _IsPressedEx | OnAutoItExit Handler | _GUICtrlCreateTFLabel UDF | WinControlSetEvent UDF | Mod. for _DirGetSizeEx UDF

AutoIt_Icon_small.pngExamples: 
ScreenSaver Demo - Matrix included | Gui Drag Without pause the script | _WinAttach()! | Turn Off/On Monitor | ComboBox Handler Example | Mod. for "Thinking Box" | Cool "About" Box | TasksBar Imitation Demo

Like the Projects/UDFs/Examples? Please rate the topic (up-right corner of the post header: Rating AutoIt_Rating.gif)

* === My topics === *

==================================================
My_Userbar.gif
==================================================

AutoIt is simple, subtle, elegant. © AutoIt Team