New to AutoIt

Hey,

First off thanks for reading and trying to help me with my all too noob question.

I have a Dell computer with a MediaDirect button, and following the instructions available on

http://forums.techguy.org/tech-tips-tricks...cuts-using.html

http://forums.techguy.org/tech-tips-tricks...ect-button.html

I am trying some new methods to redirect the button. Things worked well initially, so i think i want to make the button start the Windows Vista Games Explorer. Whether by Auto Hotkey, or the QuickSet redirect method still need to figure out how to write a run command that will launch explorer with the 'Games' Directory open.

I've attempted

ShellExecute("C:\Windows\explorer.exe","Games")

But it doesn't go any further than simply launching the explorer itself...

On a side not if anyone has expertise with the quickset method to redirect the button, anyone know why pushing the button does not launch

C:\Program Files\Dell\MediaDirect\MDirect.exe

anymore... When i first tried it, it succeeded in launching the Entertainment Home thingy that the poster coded... But now even after doing that all over again, nothing occurs.

Thanks in advance for your help

-HawkShark

Nope. Didn't do anything more than my original script. If you have vista you can access the games explorer through the games directory in your start menu but as far as i can find it doesn't have an exe anywhere... Also, if you open an explorer window and enter 'Games' into the address bar it loads the 'Games Explorer' but thats about it.

It's a kick ass feature, it is a folder similar to my documents but within it are links to all video games installed, it provides ESRB rating, Box Art, and system reqs for many games...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Games_explorer2.png

Did you manage to redirect the MD button? Let me know how you did it, im still figuring out this fun program.

• Moderators

Deleting and reposting to bump your posts does have its advantages (If you don't ever want to post here again).

People will answer when they want, and if they can.

Do it again, and I lock it, and you'll have an even harder time getting help.

Keep in mind, that many of us.. don't use Vista.

Common sense plays a role in the basics of understanding AutoIt... If you're lacking in that, do us all a favor, and step away from the computer.

The original intent was to simply remove two consecutive bumps so i wouldn't get yelled at for the double post. I guess it ends up being just as annoying to you, sorry.

As for using vista its really irrelevant, you on XP can help me with this, Open an explorer window and in the address bar enter desktop. The Desktop is not an actual folder in that case, but explorer takes you to the actual one with the command you gave it. I need to get AutoIt to do that for me, just with Games as the address bar phrase instead of Desktop.

• Moderators

The original intent was to simply remove two consecutive bumps so i wouldn't get yelled at for the double post. I guess it ends up being just as annoying to you, sorry.

As for using vista its really irrelevant, you on XP can help me with this, Open an explorer window and in the address bar enter desktop. The Desktop is not an actual folder in that case, but explorer takes you to the actual one with the command you gave it. I need to get AutoIt to do that for me, just with Games as the address bar phrase instead of Desktop.

Create a shortcut to the directory where games is, and try ShellExecute().

Now that I think about it, you probably don't even need to create a shortcut.

Edit:

ShellExecute(@StartMenuCommonDir & "\Programs\Games")
Would probably work. Edited by SmOke_N

Common sense plays a role in the basics of understanding AutoIt... If you're lacking in that, do us all a favor, and step away from the computer.

I think i did that...

Or maybe you mean

ShellExecute("C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Games\Games Explorer.lnk")

Neither seem to work

Hmm NUllis and Smoke the one you suggested gives me:

Windows cannot find 'C:\Programdata\microsoft\windows\startmenu\programs\games\games explorer.lnk'. make sure you typed the name correctly, and then try again.

which is the problem ive bee having.

Edited by HawkShark

I think i did that...

Or maybe you mean

ShellExecute("C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Games\Games Explorer.lnk")

Neither seem to work

Check my post: no space in "GamesExplorer.lnk"

I've tested it and it does work.

• Moderators

Close SmOke_N:

ShellExecute(@StartMenuCommonDir & "\Programs\Games\GamesExplorer.lnk")

will actually open the Games Explorer

Ahh, that must be in vista?