creating a dot next to the mouse

d0n

I was wondering how i can create a dot on the screen next to my mouse, i know how to get the position of my mouse but how do i create something on the screen??

Y = mouse

O = dot

O Y

and if i move my mouse i want the dot to move too, what functions should i be looking at to create this?

Edited by d0n

I would recommend (as the easiest method) creating a popup GUI, setting the background color, and moving it. You should look at GUICreate and GUI control styles for making a popup window. Then in a While loop, check if the position of the mouse has changed, using MouseGetPos. If it has, use WinMove.

Example While loop:

Global $pos[2];

While 1
    $new = MouseGetPos();
    If $new[0] <> $pos[0] Or $new[1] <> $pos[1] Then
        WinMove("GUI", "", $new[0] - 10, $new[1]);
    EndIf
    $pos[0] = $new[0];
    $pos[1] = $new[1];
WEnd
Edited by sandman

[center]"Yes, [our app] runs on Windows as well as Linux, but if you had a Picasso painting, would you put it in the bathroom?" -BitchX.com (IRC client)"I would change the world, but they won't give me the source code." -Unknownsite . blog . portfolio . claimidcode.is.poetry();[/center]

Hi, thanks for the help

The what i want to do with this code is to get the color of the pixel not on the mouse but to the left of the mouse

i dont know why this code wont get the pixel where the popup is but where my current mouse is

#include "GUIConstants.au3"
Global $pos[2];
$a = GUICreate("GUI", 5, 5, -1, -1, $WS_POPUP)
GUISetState (@SW_SHOW)
GUISetBkColor(0x00ff00, $a)

$mouse = MouseGetPos()
$mouse_x = $mouse[0]
$mouse_y = $mouse[1]

HotKeySet ("{Insert}", "pixel")
func pixel()
    $new_bobber = PixelGetColor ($new[0],$new[1])
    $color_bobber = ("0x" & Hex($new_bobber, 6))
    MsgBox(0,"Color", $color_bobber)
EndFunc

While 1
    $new = MouseGetPos();
        WinMove("GUI", "", $new[0] - 30, $new[1]);
    EndIf
    $pos[0] = $new[0];
    $pos[1] = $new[1];
WEnd

Because your array $new is created with local scope (inside a function) it is not available yet when you try to use it in the While/WEnd loop.

This works for me (added a way to exit the script):

Global $pos = MouseGetPos(), $new_bobber = 0x00FF00

$a = GUICreate("GUI", 5, 5, $pos[0] - 30, $pos[1], $WS_POPUP)
GUISetBkColor($new_bobber, $a)
GUISetState(@SW_SHOW)

HotKeySet("{Insert}", "Pixel")
HotKeySet("{ESC}", "_Quit")

While 1
    $new = MouseGetPos()
        WinMove("GUI", "", $new[0] - 30, $new[1])
    EndIf
    $pos = $new
    Sleep(20)
WEnd

Func Pixel()
    $new_bobber = PixelGetColor($pos[0], $pos[1])
    $color_bobber = "0x" & Hex($new_bobber, 6)
    MsgBox(0, "Color", $color_bobber)
EndFunc   ;==>Pixel

Func _Quit()
    Exit
EndFunc   ;==>_Quit

Note when you copy an array, you don't have to do it one element at a time ($pos = $new), and lines only end in semicolons if you want to add a comment in AutoIt.

<_<

Edited by PsaltyDS
Valuater's AutoIt 1-2-3, Class... Is now in Session!For those who want somebody to write the script for them: RentACoder"Any technology distinguishable from magic is insufficiently advanced." -- Geek's corollary to Clarke's law

for some reason when i use that code, it still only gives me the pixel under the current mouse, not the dot to the left of the mouse

and somehow after the 1st use of the insert key, the dot changes color to white? :)

i am gonna try working on it again tonight <_< thanks for the help

for some reason when i use that code, it still only gives me the pixel under the current mouse, not the dot to the left of the mouse

and somehow after the 1st use of the insert key, the dot changes color to white? :P

i am gonna try working on it again tonight <_< thanks for the help

That's exactly what I thought it was supposed to do. Each time you hit INSERT the color at the mouse position is read and the dot is changed to that color. The problem with reading the color at the dot, is the color IS the dot. So you have to temporarily hide the dot to see the color under it.

This leaves the dot green, and just pops up the color under the center of the dot. Since you placed a 5x5 dot at (-30,0) offset from the mouse, the center of the dot is a (-28,+2) offset. I also added the $WS_EX_TOPMOST extended style, just 'cause it seems sensible:

$a = GUICreate("GUI", 5, 5, $pos[0] - 30, $pos[1], $WS_POPUP, $WS_EX_TOPMOST )
GUISetState(@SW_SHOW)

While 1
    $new = MouseGetPos()
    EndIf
    $pos = $new
    Sleep(20)
WEnd

Func Pixel()
    GUISetState(@SW_HIDE, $a)
    $new_bobber = PixelGetColor($pos[0] - 28, $pos[1] + 2)
    GUISetState(@SW_SHOW, $a)
EndFunc   ;==>Pixel

Func _Quit()
    Exit
EndFunc   ;==>_Quit

:)

Edited by PsaltyDS
Valuater's AutoIt 1-2-3, Class... Is now in Session!For those who want somebody to write the script for them: RentACoder"Any technology distinguishable from magic is insufficiently advanced." -- Geek's corollary to Clarke's law

just a question, why do you want to hide it and show it again after it gets the pixel, does it not change in real time or something?

just for clarification i wanted this code to read the hex color at the green dot and show it on the msgbox

the code above only gives me 0x00FF00 as the hex, not sure why tho

EDIT, does it only work in the window i started with? cuz when i go over to firefox all i get is 0x00FF00, but if i use it on the SciTE4Autoit thing it would give me some different numbers

so it does work but only in the window that i started the script in, what would be the best way to fix this?

Edited by d0n

just a question, why do you want to hide it and show it again after it gets the pixel, does it not change in real time or something?

just for clarification i wanted this code to read the hex color at the green dot and show it on the msgbox

the code above only gives me 0x00FF00 as the hex, not sure why tho

The dot is green. If you read the color at the dot... it will be green... <_<

You can't read the color UNDER the dot; you will only read the color OF the dot unless you hide the dot temporarily. The Hide/Show happens so fast that you can't tell anyway.

EDIT, does it only work in the window i started with? cuz when i go over to firefox all i get is 0x00FF00, but if i use it on the SciTE4Autoit thing it would give me some different numbers

so it does work but only in the window that i started the script in, what would be the best way to fix this?

The code I posted last works fine on any window, including Firefox. If you are modifying the code before running it, post your version so we can debug it.

:)

Edited by PsaltyDS

i am using the same code you posted atm

$a = GUICreate("GUI", 5, 5, $pos[0] - 30, $pos[1], $WS_POPUP, $WS_EX_TOPMOST )
GUISetState(@SW_SHOW)

While 1
    $new = MouseGetPos()
    EndIf
    $pos = $new
    Sleep(20)
WEnd

Func Pixel()
    GUISetState(@SW_HIDE, $a)
    $new_bobber = PixelGetColor($pos[0] - 28, $pos[1] + 2)
    GUISetState(@SW_SHOW, $a)
EndFunc  ;==>Pixel

Func _Quit()
    Exit
EndFunc  ;==>_Quit

if i start the script on my desktop, it will work on the desktop, but if i open firefox or any program that overlaps the desktop, it will only give me 0x00FF00

i am using the same code you posted atm

if i start the script on my desktop, it will work on the desktop, but if i open firefox or any program that overlaps the desktop, it will only give me 0x00FF00

Works fine. Doesn't do that for me on XP Pro, with AutoIt 3.2.8.1. What are you running it on?

<_<

XP Pro, how would i find the autoit version :)

If you are running it from ScitTE, the console output includes the version:

>"C:\Program Files\AutoIt3\SciTE\AutoIt3Wrapper\AutoIt3Wrapper.exe" /run /prod /ErrorStdOut /in "C:\Program Files\AutoIt3\Scripts\Test_1.au3" /autoit3dir "C:\Program Files\AutoIt3" /UserParams    
+>20:27:12 Starting AutoIt3Wrapper v.1.9.3
>Running AU3Check (1.54.9.0)  from:C:\Program Files\AutoIt3
+>20:27:12 AU3Check ended.rc:0
>Running:(3.2.8.1):C:\Program Files\AutoIt3\autoit3.exe "C:\Program Files\AutoIt3\Scripts\Test_1.au3"   
+>20:27:17 AutoIT3.exe ended.rc:0
+>20:27:18 AutoIt3Wrapper Finished
>Exit code: 0   Time: 6.724

This part shows version: ">Running:(3.2.8.1)"

You could also just use the @AutoItVersion macro:

MsgBox(64, "Version", "AutoIt Version = " & @AutoItVersion)

<_<