Thoughts

notta

Guys, I wanted to get your thoughts on a project I want to start. Recently we finished a project where we went out and did a manual inventory of our entire site. I created a script in AutoIt that our techs used at each machine to gather information about the machine. This script wrote information such as name,location,OS,Machine Model,...... and so on to a comma delimited csv file to our servers. Right now we have 1000 computername.csv files on our server. Back at my office I created another script that will pull the one line from each computername.csv file into one large .csv file. Anyone can open that file in Excel and there is all the data nice and neat.

The project went perfectly and now I want to take it to the next level. What I want to do now is take our data and use some type of database software to manage and update our data. Working with text files seems kind of "cheesy" to me. There are 2 major pieces of information that I want to keep track of. I want to make sure that the location of the machine hasn't changed and also want to check the last time the machine was actually turned on.

Now, the location change can be done by checking the IP address to see if its changed. We use a static DHCP system here with a different subnet for each building and floor, so if the machine moves off of that floor or building the subnet octet will change and I can flag it in the database to go check the machine. The last logon could be done in the AD, but a lot of our machines are just in workgroups, so I can't use the AD tool. I will have the machine update the last logon field in the database so we can keep track of each machine. Oh yea, I plan on creating a service that will run at startup on all the machines that will check and update the fields as needed. I also would like the data to be retrieved from the web so my boss can look at the data easily.

I know you're probably thinking, why not use Altiris or some software along those lines. Don't get there, it's a long story. Can SQLite be used for something like this? Someone suggested SQL Express and use VB. Do you guys have any thoughts on this? Thanks.

Edited by notta

I know you're probably thinking, why not use Altiris or some software along those lines. Don't get there, it's a long story. Can SQLite be used for something like this? Someone suggested SQL Express and use VB. Do you guys have any thoughts on this? Thanks.

Seems like SQLite w/AutoIt would do just fine, and all for free.

<_<

Valuater's AutoIt 1-2-3, Class... Is now in Session!For those who want somebody to write the script for them: RentACoder"Any technology distinguishable from magic is insufficiently advanced." -- Geek's corollary to Clarke's law