Script for selecting/installing software

kenedy

This looks very interesting. Would there be a way I could get a peak at the source code?

Thanks,

JS

AutoIt Links

File-String Hash Plugin Updated! 04-02-2008 Plugins have been discontinued. I just found out.

ComputerGetInfo UDF's Updated! 11-23-2006

External Links

Vortex Revolutions Engineer / Inventor (Web, Desktop, and Mobile Applications, Hardware Gizmos, Consulting, and more)

He isnt passing out the source... so we wont get an updated version. I do understand why. That is a pretty nifty little program he has created.

JS

AutoIt Links

File-String Hash Plugin Updated! 04-02-2008 Plugins have been discontinued. I just found out.

External Links

Vortex Revolutions Engineer / Inventor (Web, Desktop, and Mobile Applications, Hardware Gizmos, Consulting, and more)

A little explanation.

This is "ready-to-use" app. I don't want people to change it, and that's why source code will not be available.

Also there is nothing special about my code. I'm not a programmer whatsoever :) Experienced people could probably reproduce it in 2-3 days.

A forum to share your cools scripts, User Defined Functions

Why don't you look at it? This forum is primarily focused on allowing users of this forum to provide other users with scripts that could be useful in their own creations. If it was written in autoit, either don't post it here if the source is closed, or provide source with the exe. As any admin will tell you, If you just post an autoit exe and expect someone not to ask you for the source, that is nieve.
Who else would I be?

this-is-me, I'm going to have to jump in on this...

The license for AutoIt says the author of a script can do whatever they wish with it. As such, its the OP right to post the script without source. If you don't like that, then tough crunchies. If you don't want to download a script you don't have the source to, that's your choice, and a good way to be safe. However, there is no requirement saying the source must be posted. Just because the language is open source does not mean people who posts scripts have to make those open source as well. This will discourage people from posting things that may be useful, but for various reasons, they want to keep the code to themself.

As the OP correclty pointed out, this forum is for sharing useful things, whether they be AutoIt scripts, scripts in other languages or compiled binaries (Either third-party or AutoIt based). There is no and shouldn't be any stipulation that in order to post an AutoIt script that the source must be included.

Edit: What the OP has posted falls into the last thing in the description which you conviently left out:

and applications

Edited by Valik

Makes sense.

I've always been a supporter of freeware and open-source applications.

I had the same ideas as this-is-me, until I started thinking about people who wouldn't want to share their sources.

Here are possible situations why you wouldn't want to share the source of an app:

- You're developing the application/software for a (software) company

- You finally release an application that took you over 6 months to complete

I respect the decision of those people because I know they spent alot of time coding the app

A little explanation.

This is "ready-to-use" app. I don't want people to change it, and that's why source code will not be available.

Also there is nothing special about my code. I'm not a programmer whatsoever :) Experienced people could probably reproduce it in 2-3 days.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I can respect your reply. I did not demand anything, I requested if possible.

If you believe the work that you have done may be abused or used against your efforts. Then it is worth protecting. Keep up the fine work.

:)

Ok, seems we're done with offtopic.

It's not like it's "my precious" or something. If you want to know how one or other thing works - i'll describe it, and if it's in one block/function, I may even post part of code.

Thing is that this app is more appropriate in unattending win/app forum (www.msfn.org). Some people already requested source so they can "change it the way they want". But.. many people there tend to value "visuality" more than functionality and some just don't really know what they want, so I'm very sceptical about this.

I want to keep this app as simple and functional as possible and don't want different versions floating around.

BTW... I know the whole licesning thing. I was just asking for the code because I was interested in how you put that together. Especially now that you say you arent that much of a programmer :). Yes I could reproduce that if I had the need. I dont :-P.

I understand totally your not wanting to share the source. I have a program I just sold to someone, and he was asking for the source code. I had originally told him okay and then I started thinking about it and I was like no you didnt pay me near enough to get what I did. He doesnt know AutoIt or anything, but I just didnt like him asking me, as well as I want to sell this in other directions and if someone has the source they can sell it too.

JS

AutoIt Links

External Links

BTW... I know the whole licesning thing. I was just asking for the code because I was interested in how you put that together. Especially now that you say you arent that much of a programmer :). Yes I could reproduce that if I had the need. I dont :-P.

I understand totally your not wanting to share the source. I have a program I just sold to someone, and he was asking for the source code. I had originally told him okay and then I started thinking about it and I was like no you didnt pay me near enough to get what I did. He doesnt know AutoIt or anything, but I just didnt like him asking me, as well as I want to sell this in other directions and if someone has the source they can sell it too.

JS

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I understand your point on this but you are incorrect about the last part. Just as there is a license protecting developers from having to share their source, you could place a license on your code stating that it is not distributable in any form. These licenses are taken very seriously by the courts, because the source code to the application is no different than distributing it in binary form. You could however place a "resellers" clause in the license so you recieve procedes from redistributers of your applications. Licenses are great, no one ever reads them but they can get you on all sorts of stuff.

*** Matt @ MPCS

I understand your point on this but you are incorrect about the last part. Just as there is a license protecting developers from having to share their source, you could place a license on your code stating that it is not distributable in any form. These licenses are taken very seriously by the courts, because the source code to the application is no different than distributing it in binary form. You could however place a "resellers" clause in the license so you recieve procedes from redistributers of your applications. Licenses are great, no one ever reads them but they can get you on all sorts of stuff.

*** Matt @ MPCS

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks for pointing out my error Matt. Would you happen to have a copy of a license.txt file that I could use as a template to create one so I could then allow the guy to get the source code?

Thanks,

JS

AutoIt Links

External Links

I have a guy that handles all of my licensing so I cannot say that I have one on my PC. I see no reason why you couldn't just tweak one of Microsoft's licenses. almost all the wording in these are the same, so you don't have to worry about stepping on anyone's toes.

I did a little googling for you and found this, it is a sample Intel contract. There are a ton of samples on the web; just have to look for them.

*** Matt @ MPCS