I'm new

Hey there,

I know these 'help me' posts get on peoples nerves, and I'm sorry. I just downloaded AutoIt Version 3, and am completely lost. I have no idea what to do. All I know right now is that you create the script in Notepad or another editor, save it, and then you can use AutoIt to open it. I don't know what commands to use in a script though. Where do you recommend I get started? Are there any tutorials that are newbie-friendly?

Thanks

Hey there,

I know these 'help me' posts get on peoples nerves, and I'm sorry. I just downloaded AutoIt Version 3, and am completely lost. I have no idea what to do. All I know right now is that you create the script in Notepad or another editor, save it, and then you can use AutoIt to open it. I don't know what commands to use in a script though. Where do you recommend I get started? Are there any tutorials that are newbie-friendly?

Thanks

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

yea, um, when i downloaded this, i just looked at the message box example, and i blasted off from there, now i can make many things and only got it like 2-3 weeks ago, but i dont know of any tutotials, i just tought myself
FootbaG

Actually, I just searched for tutorials, and I didn't see many. Just use the help file and look at the function part and then look at stuff in there then go to othere things besides Function...This should at leats raise your knowledge...That's all I did. Why do I sometimes type bad and sometimes type good? Don't ask. I just sometimes feel like typing slopy =P But yeah, just google AutoIt tutorials, see what you find.

FootbaG

See what you want to try out, then look at the HELP file. Try to use the

example given in HELP file, then you will see the result how it works !

And also, come to this forum more often, where you can gain / learn

so many different knowledges from experts here ! :)

The main point is, you must try it out !

I would definitely say the helpfile is good to go :) I went from not knowing AutoIt at all to knowing quite a bit in 3-4 weeks using the helpfile. Just study it. Read it top to bottom... :)

JS

AutoIt Links

File-String Hash Plugin Updated! 04-02-2008 Plugins have been discontinued. I just found out.

ComputerGetInfo UDF's Updated! 11-23-2006

External Links

Vortex Revolutions Engineer / Inventor (Web, Desktop, and Mobile Applications, Hardware Gizmos, Consulting, and more)

Alright thanks guys. So far I've taught myself how to open notepad/paint, type stuff and move the mouse to a certain coordination. I have a few questions:

1. How come notepad.exe and mspaint.exe work, but things like wordpad.exe don't? Does the .exe have to be in a certain folder?

2. What code would I use to press Control and V at the time time. Like on MS Paint where you would press CTRL+V to paste something from the clipboard.

3. What is the code to make the mouse click?

That's it for now.

Thanks

• Developers

Thanks Larrry. I 've come up with another question. What is equivelant to 20 seconds on this program? I need to make the script wait for 20 seconds. Would it be Sleep, 20000 or something?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Sleep ( delay )

Parameters

delay Amount of time to pause (in milliseconds).

SciTE4AutoIt3 Full installer Download page   - Beta files       Read before posting     How to post scriptsource   Forum etiquette  Forum Rules 

Live for the present,
Dream of the future,
Learn from the past.
  :)

1. How come notepad.exe and mspaint.exe work, but things like wordpad.exe don't? Does the .exe have to be in a certain folder?

This is a Windows problem, and has to do with the old Dos PATH statement. Notepad and Paint are in the windows directory and that is in the normal PATH statement, wordpad is an optional install (even if default) and thus is in the accessories folder. Talk to Bill Gates :)

Note:

at the bottom of each function in the help file is a small example. Paste that into a .au3 file and see what it does and figure out how it works. That will really get you up to speed on things fast. After that you just need to know a few consepts and think of something you would like AutoIt to do for you.

oh, and 1000milliseconds=1 sec

60000ms = 1 min

Edited by scriptkitty

AutoIt3, the MACGYVER Pocket Knife for computers.