Load Tester

Hi all,

I'm trying to create a simple load tester for a web site. Right now I have a GUI which asks the user how many instances of IE they want to launch for load testing, and then this calls another executable X number of times using the Run command.

I don't want to have to have to executables for this. If there a way to do something like this:

For $i = 1 to $i = x

LoadTest()

Next

Func LoadTest()

open web page and run tests

EndFunc

Where the For loop doesn't wait for the function LoadTest() to finish. Is there a way to just run X number of the function LoadTest() at the same time?

Thanks.

-- If the apocalypse comes... beep me.

Why not:

For $i = 1 To 2 Step 1
    Loadtest()
Next

Func loadtest()
MsgBox(0,"","Run your program")
EndFunc

It keeps running like this, or don't use the function and put it straight into the for loop. Where do you want to use it for? Else search the helpfile for Timerdiff

This will bring up a MsgBox and wait until you press OK. What I would want from this example is two MsgBox immediately without waiting for a user input to press OK first (waiting for the first function to finish).

You can set time on the Msg box, (the msg box was a expample btw) MsgBox(0,"Titel","Content",1)

Else play with this: Watch out tho :P

#include"GUIConstants.au3"
loop(1)
Func msgbbox($text)
    GuiCreate("MsgBox",100,50)
    GUICtrlCreateLabel("Text",10,10)
    GuiSetstate()
    While 1

loop(1)
    wend
endfunc

Func loop($i)
    For $i + 1 To 10 Step 1
        msgbbox("Test"&$i)
    Next
Endfunc
Edited by xzaz

You can set time on the Msg box, (the msg box was a expample btw) MsgBox(0,"Titel","Content",1)

Thanks, but for my example I'm not using a MsgBox. I understand that it was just an example. But the function I run could take minutes because it runs a bunch of load tests, and I want to run all those tests multiple times simultaneously. Thanks.

Hello Impulse08,

What you're describing is concurrency and would require multi-threaded capability. My understanding is that AutoIT does not have this capability and does not plan to implement it.

You could workaround this limitation by writing your Load test in a separate script. Then have a Driver script launch however many instances of the Load test script that you need. Depending on how results are captured and persisted, you may need to pass session IDs to the Load test scripts so that the results can be identified later ( i.e., not overwritten by the other instances ).

If multi-threaded capability is a requirement for you, test lab, test manager, etc - you'd have to look outside AutoIt. I've posted some alternatives here and here.

Zach...

Hello Impulse08,

What you're describing is concurrency and would require multi-threaded capability. My understanding is that AutoIT does not have this capability and does not plan to implement it.

You could workaround this limitation by writing your Load test in a separate script. Then have a Driver script launch however many instances of the Load test script that you need. Depending on how results are captured and persisted, you may need to pass session IDs to the Load test scripts so that the results can be identified later ( i.e., not overwritten by the other instances ).

If multi-threaded capability is a requirement for you, test lab, test manager, etc - you'd have to look outside AutoIt. I've posted some alternatives here and here.

Zach...

Thanks. I'll stick to two EXEs then. Just wondering if it was possible using AutoIt.