Game engines...

layer

i dont think so, but do you think auto it could make a game engine or a half life mod? half-life is a 3d game and the mod is a modification game of it, so what do you think? would autoit be able to make at least a simple one, im not too familiar with C so i don't know how powerful it is exactly... :)

FootbaG

the game engine is basically how everything functions within the game, the game engine executes anything when it should be executed, so like me, i play counter-strike, the game engine is like the thing that calls the models (the player models, trees, bushes, etc. etc.) the sounds, the colors, and everything else when they should be called, at least thats what ive heard, this ay be correct, but from reading over the internet, thats what ive heard, so im assuming im right, so do you think autoit is capeable of doing this, and its not like calling the model in 10 seconds its like when the round starts, call the model. And no, i wouldn't use autoit to make the models and sounds, sprites, the whole bang shabang, it would be used to carry out all of the funtions in the game, so do you think autoit would be able too?

FootbaG

That is so far outside the scope of AutoIt, you can't even see AutoIt from where that is. Games are written in C++ (The vast majority at any rate).

Edit: Matt, game engines aren't released. Tons of work goes into those, they are what drives the game. For example, the Source engine drives Half-Life 2 and is also going to be the same game engine used in the upcoming Vampire The Masquerade game. Game engines are big business. A good game engine will be leased out to other companies for use in their games. A game engine is actually somewhat independant of the actual game itself, even at times, the genere of the game.

Its hard to draw a software comparison between game engines and a piece of software thats reused a lot with new things or different things being built on it.

A game engine defines the phsyics of the world, the characters, things of that nature. Then, its up to somebody else to take that engine and add in their specific environments, character models, et cetera. Its a level of abstraction that allows the same engine to be used for multiple purposes without much refactoring.

Edited by Valik

FYI here's a description of a game engine:

http://www.ioi.dk/technology/glacier.htm

Somewhere on that website there may still be articles describing the 3D math used. Anyway I'd rather not try implementing the geometry bits (i.e. graphics) in AutoIt (unless I was paid for the hours spent doing it :) ).

IIRC there are some free game engines on SourceForge.net.

Edited by Henrik

Ignorance is strength.

Guest Py7|-|[]/\/

Nope, it is impossible with autoit ot do that... CHeck out the quake engine for ideas from other languages though. There is a free version of the original engine somewhere on altavista... Good luck.