Excel Spreadsheet in a Control

DougH

I have a question regarding embedding objects in a control. I am working on an application that uses the Monthly Calendar control and some input boxes.

I also need to display a range of cells from an existing spreadsheet into a control on the existing window. I know I can create another windows and embed the excel spreadsheet into it, but I do not want to create a new window. I am thinking of creating a large label or listbox and embed the Excel spreadheet inside it.

Is this even possible with AutoIT?

Thanks in advance for your help.

I have a question regarding embedding objects in a control. I am working on an application that uses the Monthly Calendar control and some input boxes.

I also need to display a range of cells from an existing spreadsheet into a control on the existing window. I know I can create another windows and embed the excel spreadsheet into it, but I do not want to create a new window. I am thinking of creating a large label or listbox and embed the Excel spreadheet inside it.

Use Locodarwin's _ExcelCOM_UDF.au3 and read the cells you want into an AutoIt array, then write them from the array to a ListView control.

:P

Valuater's AutoIt 1-2-3, Class... Is now in Session!For those who want somebody to write the script for them: RentACoder"Any technology distinguishable from magic is insufficiently advanced." -- Geek's corollary to Clarke's law

This will not work in Office07 but it is what I've used in previous versions.

#include <GUIConstants.au3>
;
; Embedding an Excel document inside an AutoIt GUI
;
; Limitations:
;
; 1. Integrating the GUI Menu with the Objects Menu does not work.
;   (they have seperate menu bars)
;

; Initialize my error handler
$oMyError = ObjEvent("AutoIt.Error","MyErrFunc")

;~ $FileName=@ScriptDir & "\Worksheet.xls"
$FileName = 'C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\My Documents\Book1.xls'

if not FileExists($FileName) then
  Msgbox (0,"Excel File Test","Can't run this test, because it requires an Excel file in "& $FileName)
  Exit
endif

$oExcelDoc = ObjGet($FileName) ; Get an Excel Object from an existing filename

if IsObj($oExcelDoc) then
    GUICreate ( "Embedded ActiveX Test", 640, 580, (@DesktopWidth-640)/2, (@DesktopHeight-580)/2 , $WS_OVERLAPPEDWINDOW + $WS_VISIBLE + $WS_CLIPCHILDREN )
    $GUI_ActiveX = GUICtrlCreateObj( $oExcelDoc, 1, 95 , 400 , 300 )

With $oExcelDoc
        .CommandBars("Full Screen").Visible = False
        .CommandBars("Standard").Enabled = False
        .CommandBars("Formatting").Enabled = False
        .CommandBars("Worksheet Menu Bar").Enabled = False
        .Application.DisplayFormulaBar = False
    EndWith

GUISetState ()      ;Show GUI

; GUI Message loop
    While 1
        $msg = GUIGetMsg()
        Select
            Case $msg = $GUI_EVENT_CLOSE;or $msg = $GUI_FileExit
                ExitLoop
        EndSelect
    Wend

GUIDelete ()

; Don't forget to close your workbook, otherwise Excel will stay in memory after the script exits !
    $oExcelDoc.Close (0)       ; Close the Excel workbook - Save prompt will not open

EndIf

Exit

; This is my custom error handler
Func MyErrFunc()
  $HexNumber=hex($oMyError.number,8)
  Msgbox(0,"AutoItCOM Test","We intercepted a COM Error !"       & @CRLF  & @CRLF & _
             "err.description is: "    & @TAB & $oMyError.description    & @CRLF & _
             "err.windescription:"     & @TAB & $oMyError.windescription & @CRLF & _
             "err.number is: "         & @TAB & $HexNumber              & @CRLF & _
             "err.lastdllerror is: "   & @TAB & $oMyError.lastdllerror   & @CRLF & _
             "err.scriptline is: "     & @TAB & $oMyError.scriptline     & @CRLF & _
             "err.source is: "         & @TAB & $oMyError.source         & @CRLF & _
             "err.helpfile is: "       & @TAB & $oMyError.helpfile       & @CRLF & _
             "err.helpcontext is: "    & @TAB & $oMyError.helpcontext _
            )
  SetError(1) ; to check for after this function returns
Endfunc
INI TreeViewA bus station is where a bus stops, a train station is where a train stops. Onmy desk I have a work station...

This will create a spreadsheet of test data, read the data into a 2D array, and display it.

Creating the GUI and putting the data in a ListView is left as an exercise for the student (as is testing with Office07):

#include <ExcelCOM_UDF.au3>
#include <array.au3> ; For _ArrayDisplay() only

; Create a sample spreadsheet (could read a file instead)
$oExcel = _ExcelBookNew()
For $x = 1 To 10
    For $y = 1 To 10
        _ExcelWriteCell($oExcel, $x & "_" & $y, $x, $y)
    Next
Next

; Read data to 2D array, one row at a time
Global $avData[8][8]
For $x = 2 To 9
    $avTemp = _ExcelReadArray($oExcel, $x, 2, 8, 0, 0)
    For $y = 0 To 7
        $avData[$x - 2][$y] = $avTemp[$y]
    Next
Next

_ArrayDisplay($avData, "Debug: $avData")

:P

Valuater's AutoIt 1-2-3, Class... Is now in Session!For those who want somebody to write the script for them: RentACoder"Any technology distinguishable from magic is insufficiently advanced." -- Geek's corollary to Clarke's law

Thanks for all your responses. Looking through the UDF did help me.

I have not yet used the new UDF, but have gotten the excel spreadsheet to display in a control. What I have now is the menu and icons from the Excel application overlaying on my form. Is there any way of suppressing this from loading?