How to detect if Win XP is running

polara

I am building a script to run a Robocopy backup of user data on Vista workstations. Since the data locations are different in Vista, I need to confirm that the script is running only on Vista machines. Can anyone help with some code to:

1. Detect if the OS is Win XP.

2. If yes, pop up a warning window and a button to close the script.

3. If no, continue script.

Thanks.

Maybe...

; @OSVersion
; Returns one of the following: "WIN_VISTA", "WIN_2003", "WIN_XP", "WIN_2000", "WIN_NT4", "WIN_ME", "WIN_98", "WIN_95"

If @OSVersion = "WIN_XP" Then MsgBox(0x0, "WIN_XP", "Do this....    ")

If @OSVersion = "WIN_VISTA" Then MsgBox(0x0, "WIN_VISTA", "Do this....    ")

8)

This looks good and it does check the OS. However, 2 Things:

1. I probably don't need the If @OSVersion = "WIN_VISTA" line since I only care if it's XP. I assume I can just remove this?

2. If it is XP, what do I need to add to - If @OSVersion = "WIN_XP" Then MsgBox(0x0, "WIN_XP", "Do this.... ") - to halt the script with a "close" button?

Thanks again.

If @OSVersion <> "Win_Vista" Then
   MsgBox(0x0, "Error", "This application will not run on your version of Windows" & @CRLF & "The application will now close.")
   Exit
EndIf

George

Question about decompiling code? Read the decompiling FAQ and don't bother posting the question in the forums.

Be sure to read and follow the forum rules. -AKA the AutoIt Reading and Comprehension Skills test.***

The PCRE (Regular Expression) ToolKit for AutoIT - (Updated Oct 20, 2011 ver:3.0.1.13) - Please update your current version before filing any bug reports. The installer now includes both 32 and 64 bit versions. No change in version number.

Visit my Blog .. currently not active but it will soon be resplendent with news and views. Also please remove any links you may have to my website. it is soon to be closed and replaced with something else.

"Old age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill!"

MsgBox(0x0, "Error", "This application will not run on your version of Windows" & @CRLF & "The application will now close.")
   Exit
EndIf
Running this in XP or Vista produces the error:

EndIf

Error:"EndIf" statement with no matching "If" statement.

No, it doesn't...

Hmm.. Maybe the problem is what I have following this. Here's my entire script:

; ----------------------------------------------------------------------------

;

; AutoIt Version: 3.1.0

; Author:

;

; Script Function: ; Robocopy backup for Vista users

;

; ----------------------------------------------------------------------------

; Robocopy Backup - For Vista Only v1.1 12-10-2007

; @OSVersion

; Returns one of the following: "WIN_VISTA", "WIN_2003", "WIN_XP", "WIN_2000", "WIN_NT4", "WIN_ME", "WIN_98", "WIN_95"

If @OSVersion <> "Win_Vista" Then MsgBox(0x0, "Error", "This backup is for Vista only. Please run the Win XP backup" & @CRLF & "The application will now close.")

Exit

EndIf

$ol = ObjGet("", "outlook.Application")

If @error Then

$ol = ObjCreate("outlook.Application")

;no outlook to grab onto

EndIf

$update = MsgBox(1, "Backup", "Backup needs to close Outlook before it can run. Click Ok to continue or Cancel if you do not want to close Outlook at this time.")

If $update = 2 Then

MsgBox(0, "Backup", "Backup has been canceled.")

Exit

EndIf

$ol.quit

;EndIf

RunWait("\\myserver\share\Scripts\dbu_Vista.cmd")

MsgBox(0, "Backup", "Backup has finished. Please remember to run backup regularly.")

;This errors if Outlook is already closed

Here's your problem:

If @OSVersion <> "Win_Vista" Then MsgBox(0x0, "Error", "This backup is for Vista only. Please run the Win XP backup" & @CRLF & "The application will now close.")
Exit
EndIf

If you do If <condition> then <code>, you don't need the Endif cos you did it in one line.

This is how that should be:

MsgBox(0x0, "Error", "This backup is for Vista only. Please run the Win XP backup" & @CRLF & "The application will now close.")
Exit
EndIf

Here's your problem:

Exit
EndIf

If you do If <condition> then <code>, you don't need the Endif cos you did it in one line.

This is how that should be:

MsgBox(0x0, "Error", "This backup is for Vista only. Please run the Win XP backup" & @CRLF & "The application will now close.")
Exit
EndIf
Wow! What a difference a CR makes. Thanks for your patience and help. You are awesome.....