Simulating a workstation user with AutoIt ?

AlexL

Hi

In a project to measure the availability of various IT services and response times, I am looking for a software which generates specific user activity.

An example of simulated activity would be: the user opens Outlook, writes a mail, appends an attachment, sends it out to an auto responder, checks the returned mail and records if it was successful, and the time it took. Similarly with Word, Excel and other GUI applications.

It should be kind of a robot which periodically simulates a typical user activity in front of his workstation and evaluates the system's response (and responsiveness).

We expect to determine the service's availability, the response times and such, for SLA compliance.

Has anyone done this with AutoIt? What alternatives are there for such a task?

TIA

Alex

I give you.... The Typing Robot:

Posted Image

:)

All seriousness aside, AutoIt can do what you describe. The apps you describe all have COM interfaces available, which AutoIt can use, and any that don't can be automated with mouse/keyboard simulation.

^_^

Valuater's AutoIt 1-2-3, Class... Is now in Session!For those who want somebody to write the script for them: RentACoder"Any technology distinguishable from magic is insufficiently advanced." -- Geek's corollary to Clarke's law

AutoIt is free or for $5,000 you can get Rational Robot from IBM

Support bacteria; it's the only culture most people have.LxP's Learning to Script with AutoIt 3 - Excellent starting placeVolly's Links Page - Links to cool and useful scriptsAutoIt Wrappers - Valuater's AutoIt Wrappers post. Lots of good stuff.Support AutoIt - Make a donation here; I did.[size="2"]#include <Guinness.pint>[/size]

AutoIt is free or for $5,000 you can get Rational Robot from IBM

We have Rational around here... better be ready to spend a few $K on training too!

:)

Valuater's AutoIt 1-2-3, Class... Is now in Session!For those who want somebody to write the script for them: RentACoder"Any technology distinguishable from magic is insufficiently advanced." -- Geek's corollary to Clarke's law

• 1 month later...

Belated thanks to all!

I was experimenting with AutoIt and I am impressed!

Now, I was trying to simulate user activity in a Citrix/Terminal Server environment; the problem is that the window is not structured - just an image, so I have to record the mouse and keyboard. It is cumbersome and the result is very unreliable: any small change of the desktop inside the Citrix client makes the script unusable.

Did anyone successfuly simulated a Citrix activity with AutoIt? Could you share a sample script?

Thanks and regards

Alex