Accelerator Tables

Lazycat

Note: right now this is not too usable!

I'm tired to implement accelerators as plain Autoit code. Code is work, but noticeable slowdown responce to menu commands, called by mouse clicks. I think the problem with TranslateAccelerators, that executes outside the main Autoit message queue. This also don't work in event mode.

If someone have an idea how to solve those issues (without modifying Autoit :)) - you are welcome. But probably the best if accelerators will be standard Autoit ability - this is rather simple and should not add a many to size.

AccelTable.au3

Edit: For those who interesting what this thing for. Accelerator tables allow setup hotkeys for GUI (menu) commands. The difference with standard HotKeySet - hotkey not set globally, it's work only for current GUI.

More information at MSDN: http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms674703.aspx

Edited by Lazycat

Awesome! This code is great, and I'd been told that accelerators were not possible at all until they were built in. Guess you showed me LazyCat.

Also, I'm glad to see that someone besides me is still interested in having accelerators added to AutoIt. You should tack on something like "GUI-specific hotkeys" to the topic description, just to catch the attention of those who don't know what accelerators are. :)

I guess MSDN and/or Google would be too much work?

When you sell a car do you write a description of it, or do you let people search for the generic description on Google? Edited by weaponx

When you sell a car do you write a description of it, or do you let people search for the generic description on Google?

This is really a poor analogy. You're looking for information on cars in general, not specific information about a specific model of car.

You state (although you really asked but you used a period instead of question mark):

I have no clue what this does. Can you put up a description for those who aren't familiar.

You are asking for no information which can't be answered by doing your own work searching in the internet. And based on some very simple logic, you don't know what it is, therefore you don't need this feature. If you want to know what it is, learn about it on your own time and stop harassing us to teach you things that are well documented.

This is really a poor analogy. You're looking for information on cars in general, not specific information about a specific model of car.

This is a perfect analogy considering any used car could have service history, upgrades, accident history, etc....

You state (although you really asked but you used a period instead of question mark):

You are asking for no information which can't be answered by doing your own work searching in the internet. And based on some very simple logic, you don't know what it is, therefore you don't need this feature. If you want to know what it is, learn about it on your own time and stop harassing us to teach you things that are well documented.

I've never harrassed anyone in these forums nor do I ever intend to. I wish you would stop harrassing me with the passive aggressive dissection of my posts. There is no need to address every single line of a paragraph. All I asked for was a description of an example script, how am I to know such a concept is used beyond AutoIt?

When I see an example script posted like Auto3Lib am I supposed to check google first?

@Valik

I guess MSDN and/or Google would be too much work?

Can you explain why you thought it worthwhile responding in this way to weaponx's post, but had nothing to say about Saunders' remark about " those who don't know what accelerators are." Are you singling weaponx out or is he just unlucky?

(I'm not asking you to explain why you put your comments in such an unnecessarily scarcastic and unpleasant way because I realise that is beyond explanation.)

you don't know what it is, therefore you don't need this feature.

That's not simple logic - it's simply wrong. Plenty of people might not know what white blood cells are; does that mean they don't need them?

If you addressed people in the way that you would like people to address you I'd have thought a lot of people would be happier.

Edited by martin
Serial port communications UDF Includes functions for binary transmission and reception.printing UDF Useful for graphs, forms, labels, reports etc.Add User Call Tips to SciTE for functions in UDFs not included with AutoIt and for your own scripts.Functions with parameters in OnEvent mode and for Hot Keys One function replaces GuiSetOnEvent, GuiCtrlSetOnEvent and HotKeySet.UDF IsConnected2 for notification of status of connected state of many urls or IPs, without slowing the script.

This is a perfect analogy considering any used car could have service history, upgrades, accident history, etc....

It's a stupid analogy, but then, since you came up with it, I guess I shouldn't really expect you to understand why it doesn't apply.

I've never harrassed anyone in these forums nor do I ever intend to.

I call it harrassment when you ask for basic information that can be obtained in 5 minutes by using the internet.

I wish you would stop harrassing me with the passive aggressive dissection of my posts.

Then stop posting stupid stuff.

There is no need to address every single line of a paragraph.

Why not? When the entire thing is full of flaws.

All I asked for was a description of an example script, how am I to know such a concept is used beyond AutoIt?

No, you asked what accelerator tables do. Basic information that's covered on the web.

When I see an example script posted like Auto3Lib am I supposed to check google first?

That depends on if you're asking something AutoIt-related or something related to the API itself.

Incidentally, maybe in the future you should re-think your responses when somebody calls you out on something. You antagonize me with your pathetic analogy and then attempt to paint me up as the bad guy because I call you on it. Your cries of "he's harassing me" might not fall on deaf ears if you'd actually took my not so subtle hint and the obligatory lashing and tried to learn something on your own instead of argue with me.

Put more succinctly, and I'm about to use an analogy correctly, you and martin should watch how this works. If you climb into a bear's cage and beat a stick on the bars to attract the bear's attention, don't act all surprised when the bear comes over and sodomizes you.

That's not simple logic - it's simply wrong. Plenty of people might not know what white blood cells are; does that mean they don't need them?

What is this, bad analogy day? But I see what you did there, you're attempting to latch onto the word need and give it more significance than it deserves (I suppose that's my fault for writing lazy English). The difference, and it's rather fundamental, between white blood cells and knowledge of accelerator tables is knowledge of accelerator tables is something that you must consciously apply. You must know about it in order for it to be used. It's not mandatory for somebody to know about white blood cells for them to still function. That is a key distinction which renders your analogy useless.

Edit: Just saw your edit:

Can you explain why you thought it worthwhile responding in this way to weaponx's post, but had nothing to say about Saunders' remark about " those who don't know what accelerators are." Are you singling weaponx out or is he just unlucky?

Saunder's isn't asking what accelerator tables are. He knows and I know he knows. He's wanted them for years.

(I'm not asking you to explain why you put your comments in such an unnecessarily scarcastic and unpleasant way because I realise that is beyond explanation.)

If you really wish to get onto the subject of things that are unnecessary, I can think of a couple that wouldn't be missed. Do you want to go down that road?

If you addressed people in the way that you would like people to address you I'd have thought a lot of people would be happier.

When I actually do wish for a response from somebody, I am civil with them. I wasn't interested in a response from weaponx, I was interested in him shutting up and taking the hint and applying the hint in the future instead of posting questions. That being said, it is not my goal in life to make people happy. Edited by Valik

If you want to know what it is, learn about it on your own time and stop harassing us to teach you things that are well documented.

Valik, you need not forget that this is a community and not everything is written in machine language. Just because you understand it doesn't mean the community does. With more details, issues can be expedited in a timely fashion and new concepts can reach a wider audience.

Look through my post history and show me where I have ever even asked for help. You will find less than 5 posts, so please avoid insulting my intelligence as a programmer. I am only here to help others and learn from them as well.

harass

1.to disturb persistently; torment, as with troubles or cares; bother continually; pester; persecute.

I have marked the pertinent parts in bold. User's who fail to use the resources available to them (Google, MSDN, the forum search, the help file, et cetera) bother the forum continually pestering and persistently disturbing us for information they can obtain on their own.

Valik, you need not forget that this is a community and not everything is written in machine language. Just because you understand it doesn't mean the community does.

I'm not sure what my ability to understand things has to do with users who obstinately refuse to use non-AutoIt-Forum releated resources to acquire knowledge.

With more details, issues can be expedited in a timely fashion and new concepts can reach a wider audience.

How's this for a timely fashion. I spent 15 seconds to type "Accelerator Table" into Google, click the first link to Wikipedia and read the first paragraph which explains what Accelerator Tables are.

Now, would you like to know how you should have handled this situation? Once I mention MSDN/Google, instead of coming back at me, you should have done that. If you really want to "help the community" and all that, you could have posted the linke to the resource you found so others who don't know what Accelerator Tables are could read what you read. Rather than do that, you choose to banter words and play victim.

Who said, besides you, that WeaponX is disturbing us? People ask those questions quite often.

Edit:

And, he is not asking the question continually or persistenly.

If I were you, I'd keep your dog out of this "fight". You clearly lack the requisite English comprehension abilities necessary to keep up. If you'll notice, and this was very deliberate, I stated users and did not name anybody in particular. What weaponx has done makes him just another user in a plague on this forum (or the internet in general) where people, for whatever reason, refuse to use publicly available repositories of information to acquire knowledge. Instead they wish to solicit for the information so that it's delivered to them instead of seeking it on their own.