Best way to learn?

JLC123

I just found AutoitV3 and successfully used it to mass install a new service. I can see endless uses for this, but I know absolutely nothing about scripting. (To create the install script I used, I just swiped a script from the forum and manipulated it to suit my needs.) I have been wandering around the FAQs, forums and help section, but I feel like I'm starting in the middle with little or no direction. I purchased the recommended little black admin scripting book but it's not here yet.

I'm looking for a little advice on the best way to learn Autoit. I'm not seeing any online tutorials, are there any? Should I just wait for the book? Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Two wrongs don't make a right, but three lefts do

No real perfect way to learn, I suggest reading the help file. Start on the function reference, maybe in Keyboard control, and try out each example at the bottom.

AutoIt is like learning a language, and the functions are the words. you need to know the words before you can make sentances, and after you start making sentances, you can read and write the language a lot faster.

I am thinking about writing a few tutorials for this. Just not today. :)

AutoIt3, the MACGYVER Pocket Knife for computers.

There is another post, here, that they posted a link to an AutoIt Wiki. They provide a few simple examples there also. I agree with scriptkitty though, it is best to read the help file. Doing so will also aid you in not getting burned on this board.

*** Matt @ MPCS

Thanks for the advice. :)

Interesting side note, the link takes you to a web site that has tutorials. After the 3rd paragraph you get this:

discussion discussion discussion discussion discussion discussion discussion

code

code

code

Someone started, but didn't quite finish.

I'll just start with the help file and try real hard not to post idiotic questions here. :)

Two wrongs don't make a right, but three lefts do

Thanks for the advice.  :)

Interesting side note, the link takes you to a web site that has tutorials. After the 3rd paragraph you get this:

discussion discussion discussion discussion discussion discussion discussion

code

code

code

Someone started, but didn't quite finish.

I'll just start with the help file and try real hard not to post idiotic questions here.  :)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I learn best by having a problem I want to solve. Once I have the problem, I read through functions until I find something that will do what I want. Then when I have another problem, I read some more.

The AutoIt guide with all its functions is fairly short though, so it might just be worth your while to look at each function first. Though with larger languages like php, it's pretty useless to try and learn by simply reading the manual. Motivation is the key to success at anything - and motivation comes best by having a problem that you need to solve. ;)

AutoIt is like learning a language, and the functions are the words. you need to know the words before you can make sentances, and after you start making sentances, you can read and write the language a lot faster.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Beautiful Analogy, scriptkitty :)
My site for HTML Help :)[quote name='Valik' date='Oct 15 2004, 12:29 PM']Maybe nobody is an "elite uber-coder" like me because thinking is a capital offense in today's online-world?[right][snapback]36427[/snapback][/right][/quote]