Insert Text to Line Number in Edit Control - ?

atomman

Need to insert text at a specific line number (already existing) in an edit control, something like _GUICtrlEdit_InsertText, except that does character positioning.

I know how to do it with caret position, but that's not reliable in my case.

Need to insert text at a specific line number (already existing) in an edit control, something like _GUICtrlEdit_InsertText, except that does character positioning.

I know how to do it with caret position, but that's not reliable in my case.

Might look at _GUICtrlEdit_LineIndex in conjunction with _GUICtrlEdit_InsertText

SciTE for AutoItDirections for Submitting Standard UDFs

Don't argue with an idiot; people watching may not be able to tell the difference.

#include <GuiEdit.au3>

Opt('MustDeclareVars', 1)

$Debug_Ed = False ; Check ClassName being passed to Edit functions, set to True and use a handle to another control to see it work

_Example_Internal()

Func _Example_Internal()
    Local $hGUI, $StatusBar, $hEdit
    Local $sFile = RegRead("HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\AutoIt v3\AutoIt", "InstallDir") & "\include\changelog.txt"
    Local $aPartRightSide[2] = [378, -1], $iRandom

; Create GUI
    $hGUI = GUICreate("(Internal) Edit Line Index", 400, 300)
    $hEdit = GUICtrlCreateEdit("", 2, 2, 394, 268, BitOR($ES_WANTRETURN, $WS_VSCROLL))
    GUISetState()

; Set Margins
    _GUICtrlEdit_SetMargins ($hEdit, BitOR($EC_LEFTMARGIN, $EC_RIGHTMARGIN), 10, 10)

; Set Text
    _GUICtrlEdit_SetText ($hEdit, FileRead($sFile))

; Line Index
    $iRandom = Random(0, _GUICtrlEdit_GetLineCount ($hEdit) - 1, 1)
    ConsoleWrite("Inserting Text at Line: " & $iRandom & @LF)
    _GUICtrlEdit_InsertText($hEdit, "MY INSERTED TEXT", _GUICtrlEdit_LineIndex ($hEdit, $iRandom))

; Loop until user exits
    Do
    Until GUIGetMsg() = $GUI_EVENT_CLOSE
    GUIDelete()
EndFunc   ;==>_Example_Internal

Don't argue with an idiot; people watching may not be able to tell the difference.

That's from the manual and i read about the functions used in that example and played with the script. Still, i don't understand how to use '_GUICtrlEdit_GetLineCount' and '_GUICtrlEdit_InsertText' to insert text to a predetermined line number in an edit control. And i'm not seeing how 'Random' can be used to generate the current line number from the caret position. I can convert 'WinGetCaretPos' to a line number, but now i need to write to that line number.

I've been toying with different methods of doing this for days and days and none are reliable/work. I'm so close to being done with this script but being able to simply write to a line number like "_FileWriteToLine" does is driving me :)

That's from the manual and i read about the functions used in that example and played with the script. Still, i don't understand how to use '_GUICtrlEdit_GetLineCount' and '_GUICtrlEdit_InsertText' to insert text to a predetermined line number in an edit control. And i'm not seeing how 'Random' can be used to generate the current line number from the caret position. I can convert 'WinGetCaretPos' to a line number, but now i need to write to that line number.

I've been toying with different methods of doing this for days and days and none are reliable/work. I'm so close to being done with this script but being able to simply write to a line number like "_FileWriteToLine" does is driving me :)

Your looking to hard at it, it's simple, the 'Random' and _GUICtrlEdit_GetLineCount represent the line you want to insert text in, I have no idea what line you want to insert at.

For all intents and purposes you only really need to look at

_GUICtrlEdit_InsertText($hEdit, "MY INSERTED TEXT", _GUICtrlEdit_LineIndex ($hEdit, 'your line number goes here'))

I spoke too soon...

I still need to find a way to insert text at an edit control line number.

Right now i'm converting WinGetCaretpos() to a line number then using something like this, inside a while loop, to write:

If WinActive($Form1) Then
    $Caret = WinGetCaretPos()
    $Line = (($Caret[1] - 3) / 13)

Case $Button1
    _GUICtrlEdit_InsertText($Edit1, $Text1 & @CRLF & $Text2 & @CRLF & @CRLF, _GUICtrlEdit_LineIndex($Edit_TextEditor, $Line))

It seems very finicky... works much of the time, then fails, and it's now frustrating the daylights out of me.

I think you have to stop saying "specified". :)

To me, specified means you are giving it a specific number, which Gary has given you code for (which works in my tests): _GUICtrlEdit_InsertText($hEdit, "MY INSERTED TEXT" & @CRLF, _GUICtrlEdit_LineIndex ($hEdit, LINENUMBER))

It seems to me that the real problem you're having is retrieving the current line number.

Yeah, for the most part i think you're right, but i had problems with both. The biggest problem is everything getting selected in an edit control when it's focused.

For now i *think* i have it working, but the nature of edit controls (selecting everything) makes it annoying. I asked in another post if there was a way to prevent this and didn't get an answer. If you can help me out, i'd certainly appreciate it.

Yeah, for the most part i think you're right, but i had problems with both. The biggest problem is everything getting selected in an edit control when it's focused.

For now i *think* i have it working, but the nature of edit controls (selecting everything) makes it annoying. I asked in another post if there was a way to prevent this and didn't get an answer. If you can help me out, i'd certainly appreciate it.

Would look at using _GUICtrlEdit_SetSel and set the start and end to the same position where you want to insert the text

Or instead of using the built-in edit control you could use the _GUICtrlEdit_Create, doesn't select all when it gets focus.

Edited by GaryFrost