instant messaging bot

I have a couple of headless boxes I want to remote control. VNC is great when I am within the building but the corporate firewall is quite harsh and when I am at home, at a friends, where ever, I would like to be able to remotely fix things. I envision my app sending me an error report, I send back some instructions and it sends back some diagnostic info and I examine the info and tell the app what buttons to push to fix the issue.

Do any systems have open api/protocols I could use? AIM, YM, MSN, ISQ ? Has anyone attempted something like this before?

I know someone is going to suggest developing my own messaging tcp/ip but I really don't like doing networking, and using IM would let me gloss over that.

I know it's almost impossible with MSN, but I've done it with Miranda (you can use Aim, msn, yahoo, Gmail, jabber, etc). Miranda is an IM client that will let you read and set text using the Control*() functions.

Ideally I would like to implement my own messenger INSIDE my app. That way I don't have to fight with IM client, I can just handle errors and send messages as needed.

And the client side (me at home) would just be the standard IM client.

Pidgin offers "Buddy Pounce" which allows you to Play a sound, Execute a Command, send an auto-reply...

You can use Buddy Pounce when a Buddy...

-Sends a message

-Signs on

-Signs off

-Goes away

-Returns from away

-etc...

Personally I would just have it launch Ultravnc server remotely with the command line option to "Add new client" which would punch through your corporate firewall and allow you to administer your work computer from home...kind of like Copilot https://www.copilot.com/

• 6 months later...

Pidgin offers "Buddy Pounce" which allows you to Play a sound, Execute a Command, send an auto-reply...

You can use Buddy Pounce when a Buddy...

-Sends a message

-Signs on

-Signs off

-Goes away

-Returns from away

-etc...

Personally I would just have it launch Ultravnc server remotely with the command line option to "Add new client" which would punch through your corporate firewall and allow you to administer your work computer from home...kind of like Copilot https://www.copilot.com/

i tried to use the Buddy Pounce feature, can it read message so it can be auto-replied based on the first message?

• 9 months later...

I also want to create a bot that will take commands via ICQ, or Jabber, no one is developing such a UDF? Or perhaps use the module from Miranda? it is in the form of *.DLL Perhaps using DllCall. This is possible?

alright i will say it... most people dont have miranda. and only have live, or msn messenger (comes with XP)

so, in your case i would say its easyer to use a TCPIP server, i have one in my sig, also so does about... 30+ other people in the forums here there is some really good help with TCP since so many people knows about it :D KIPs tcp UDF is kinda difficult to understand at first i would recommend that, but if your looking to make your own from scratch... BTCP... its in my sig :o or you can check out john2006's tcp examples, or many others :D

Good luck

Use the TCPIP sevrer not possible.

No dedicated server is not possible to send commands using mobile phone.

In our country, ICQ is very popular and there are clients for all platforms. That would be the solution of many problems.