The best way to update your program

xzaz

So i got my own program but i release updates (read: new versions) of my program on the internet. So people can download the new versions. Now i want to make a function to check if there is a new update.

I got this now:

1. With inetget i get a ini file from the internet, read the version number.

2. If the number is higher then the version on my local PC. Then close the program and run update.exe

3. Update.exe, downloads the new version. Deletes the current version on the client and runs the new version.

This is ok when i got 3 a 4 files. But later when you got more files how do you do that. I was thinking about just a ZIP file to unpack it. How did you made your update function?

Edited by xzaz

I do it a different way...

InetgetSource() use this to find the text in a text document on a web site then compare that version with the one of the program if the programs is older then use Inetget() to download a temp file of your source. Use file move to move your temp file to the file of your actual appliaction with the overwrite turned on. Hope that helps, Hint, you will need two programs one will do the filemove because you cannot overwrite a exe that is in use.

[center][/center]