Just for discussion

GEOSoft

Were you pointing out the gaming part only or the idea of having more sub-forums?

I am wholeheartedly against game botting but not a day goes by that I don't see 4 requests for aimbots, WoW hacks, Diablo 2 hacks, Runescape hacks, etc...these kids don't want help writing a script, they come in with zero posts asking for something finished.

I was refering to the concept of having a gaming forum. It was tried before and failed miserably. In fact it failed so miserably that I think the chances of being it being revived are greater than the odds of snowball fighting being included in the summer Olympics.

EDIT: Actually to clarify this it was a botting forum. I think a gaming forum would end up being just another botting forum.

Edited by GEOSoft

George

Question about decompiling code? Read the decompiling FAQ and don't bother posting the question in the forums.

Be sure to read and follow the forum rules. -AKA the AutoIt Reading and Comprehension Skills test.***

The PCRE (Regular Expression) ToolKit for AutoIT - (Updated Oct 20, 2011 ver:3.0.1.13) - Please update your current version before filing any bug reports. The installer now includes both 32 and 64 bit versions. No change in version number.

Visit my Blog .. currently not active but it will soon be resplendent with news and views. Also please remove any links you may have to my website. it is soon to be closed and replaced with something else.

"Old age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill!"

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Were you pointing out the gaming part only or the idea of having more sub-forums?

I am wholeheartedly against game botting but not a day goes by that I don't see 4 requests for aimbots, WoW hacks, Diablo 2 hacks, Runescape hacks, etc...these kids don't want help writing a script, they come in with zero posts asking for something finished.

It pains me to say it as a gamer, but as a gamer, I know what gamers are like in general. They are stupid, filthy idiots. And the gaming forum reflected that. It was nothing but a community of trolls. Constant flame wars (not incited by me), language, immaturity, et cetera. If I call this forum a cesspool now, I'm honestly at a loss for what sort of adjectives that can be applied to the former gaming forum. I don't think Jon has it around any longer. We should use it to scare children or something if he does, though.

The format combined with the fact that it leads people to say "Hey, add this feature/change this behavior and add an Opt" to control it. People try to use it as an excuse for why their behavior could/should be added to the language. And yeah, it's just a mess as well. I hate functions which take strings to control their behavior.

One thing I think would be very useful before any future major development of AutoIt would be for the developers to take a fresh look at what AutoIt is intended to be and who the target users are. Over it's life AutoIt has evolved from a bulk installation tool through general windows automation tool and general scripting language and is now being used as a general programming language by some.

This would hopefully result in:

1) A clarification of what AutoIt is and is not intended to be.

2) What platforms will be supported.

3) A road map of where AutoIt is heading.

AutoIt v3 is a freeware BASIC-like scripting language designed for automating the Windows GUI and general scripting. It uses a combination of simulated keystrokes, mouse movement and window/control manipulation in order to automate tasks in a way not possible or reliable with other languages (e.g. VBScript and SendKeys). AutoIt is also very small, self-contained and will run on all versions of Windows out-of-the-box with no annoying "runtimes" required!

AutoIt was initially designed for PC "roll out" situations to reliably automate and configure thousands of PCs. Over time it has become a powerful language that supports complex expressions, user functions, loops and everything else that veteran scripters would expect.

Personally I use AutoIt for automated testing of data and software, plus general scripting. The current version of AutoIt meets these requirement as good as most of the alternatives I have tried. That's not to say there is not room for some new features.

I notice an increasing trend for AutoIt to used to write general programmes leading to requests for new features such as Object Oriented and multi threading capabilities. My opinion is that applications that require these capabilities would be much better programmed in a low level language C++ etc.

"Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the universe trying to build bigger and better idiots. So far, the universe is winning."- Rick Cook

I don't think Jon has it around any longer. We should use it to scare children or something if he does, though.

Well now you went and did it... Jon put it backup so you could scare children. Never mind the children, that forum still scares me!! :)

George

Question about decompiling code? Read the decompiling FAQ and don't bother posting the question in the forums.

Be sure to read and follow the forum rules. -AKA the AutoIt Reading and Comprehension Skills test.***

The PCRE (Regular Expression) ToolKit for AutoIT - (Updated Oct 20, 2011 ver:3.0.1.13) - Please update your current version before filing any bug reports. The installer now includes both 32 and 64 bit versions. No change in version number.

Visit my Blog .. currently not active but it will soon be resplendent with news and views. Also please remove any links you may have to my website. it is soon to be closed and replaced with something else.

Ah, I see. I didn't go in that forum when it was open and I knew there was a reason for that.

I know how to build a nuclear bomb. Here, let me tell people without the mental function to figure it out for themselves how to blow up the world. Nah, they won't abuse it. They can use it to learn how the world works. Yeah right.

Edited by Nutster

David Nuttall
Nuttall Computer Consulting

An Aquarius born during the Age of Aquarius

AutoIt allows me to re-invent the wheel so much faster.

I'm off to write a wizard, a wonderful wizard of odd...

Ah, I see. I didn't go in that forum when it was open and I knew there was a reason for that.

I know how to build a nuclear bomb. Here, let me tell people without the mental function to figure it out for themselves how to blow up the world. Nah, they won't abuse it. They can use it to learn how the world works. Yeah right.

As I recall the best post EVER made in that forum was this one

George

(WARNING: following the completely off-topic trend)

allowing a botting forum is like parents who buy their kids condoms.

Having the forum increases the amount of bot-related crap, but keeps the other forums safe (not littered with the crap).

Not having the forum lowers the amount of bot-related crap, but keeps the forums unsafe from the stupidity.

It's a hard call.

crzftx, you can get them for free in England :)

Like Senton, that forum was before me aswell and I am glad it was! Gah, it's worse than Ashleys English!

Like damn... Englang Here I can! And I saw that forum, and I'm like, since when did we have that, and why is there that many posts??? :blink: Then I looked at the dates... :P Heh, n00b only forum... 10posts or under to get in :wub: