Controlling Windows programs

tsherr

I'm trying to write a program that will allow me to open multiple Windows applications (WordPad, Firefox, and Thunderbird) and then simulate multitasking between them (opening webpages saved on the hard drive, open emails, create documents) for benchmarking purposes. From what I've read, AutoIt should allow me to do this, but I'm not sure where to start. Is there a tutorial or manual somewhere I can read?

Thanks,

T

I'm trying to write a program that will allow me to open multiple Windows applications (WordPad, Firefox, and Thunderbird) and then simulate multitasking between them (opening webpages saved on the hard drive, open emails, create documents) for benchmarking purposes. From what I've read, AutoIt should allow me to do this, but I'm not sure where to start. Is there a tutorial or manual somewhere I can read?

Thanks,

T

:^/ I suggest starting with the help file AutoIt.chm, and poking through all of the example files in the folder Example/Helpfile. They are there to illustrate how to do just about anything autoit can do. Most of the example files consist of just enough code to open a widow with whatever feature is being demonstrated. What little code there is has ample comments to explain what most lines do. Look through them and try writing your own variations on them, incorporating stuff you've read about earlier into whatever you're tinkering with now.

In short, just play aroung making scripts for the fun of it; the best way to learn is by doing.

:^/ I suggest starting with the help file AutoIt.chm, and poking through all of the example files in the folder Example/Helpfile. They are there to illustrate how to do just about anything autoit can do. Most of the example files consist of just enough code to open a widow with whatever feature is being demonstrated. What little code there is has ample comments to explain what most lines do. Look through them and try writing your own variations on them, incorporating stuff you've read about earlier into whatever you're tinkering with now.

In short, just play aroung making scripts for the fun of it; the best way to learn is by doing.

Sounds good. That's the way I learned just about everything. Good thing I don't do brain or heart surgery. :)

T