Intercepting IE Link clicked on an IE object

It needs to be done on the client-side since AutoIt gets informed of events asynchronously.

See _IEHeadInsertEventScript

Assume the link you want to affect is the 5th link on the page (index 4). The "return false;" aborts the event logic before the navigation occurs:

$oIE = _IECreate(your-url)
$oLink = _IELinkGetCollection($oIE, 4)
$sLinkId = $oLink.uniqueId
_IEHeadInsertEventScript($oIE, $sLinkId, "onclick", "alert('Someone clicked the Link!');return false;")

Dale

Dale

Free Internet Tools: DebugBar, AutoIt IE Builder, HTTP UDF, MODIV2, IE Developer Toolbar, IEDocMon, Fiddler, HTML Validator, WGet, curl

MSDN docs: InternetExplorer Object, Document Object, Overviews and Tutorials, DHTML Objects, DHTML Events, WinHttpRequest, XmlHttpRequest, Cross-Frame Scripting, Office object model

Automate input type=file (Related)

Alternative to _IECreateEmbedded? better: _IECreatePseudoEmbedded  Better Better?

IE.au3 issues with Vista - Workarounds

SciTe Debug mode - it's magic: #AutoIt3Wrapper_run_debug_mode=Y

Doesn't work needs to be ripped out of the troubleshooting lexicon. It means that what you tried did not produce the results you expected. It begs the questions 1) what did you try?, 2) what did you expect? and 3) what happened instead?

Reproducer: a small (the smallest?) piece of stand-alone code that demonstrates your trouble

It needs to be done on the client-side since AutoIt gets informed of events asynchronously.

See _IEHeadInsertEventScript

Assume the link you want to affect is the 5th link on the page (index 4). The "return false;" aborts the event logic before the navigation occurs:

$oIE = _IECreate(your-url)
$oLink = _IELinkGetCollection($oIE, 4)
_IEHeadInsertEventScript($oIE, $sLinkId, "onclick", "alert('Someone clicked the Link!');return false;")

Dale

Dale

cool, but what if i want to intercept every link on the page, i don't know what the links are, but i wish to capture the link(URL) whenever i click one of them(without navigating to that link).

edit: when u mention 'client-side', u meant that the event response is on the page, not in auto-it process anymore, so there is no way that the link will be captured to auto-it process? except through clipboard i guess, but i dunno javascript, what is the function to put a string on to clipboard? something like ClipPut($string) on auto-it.

Edited by soulhealer

Interesting query... here you go:

#include <IE.au3>

$oIE = _IECreate("http://www.google.com")
$oLinks = _IELinkGetCollection($oIE)
For $oLink in $oLinks
    _IEHeadInsertEventScript($oIE, $sLinkId, "onclick", "return false;")
    ObjEvent($oLink, "_Evt_")
Next

While 1
    Sleep(100)
WEnd

Func _Evt_onclick()
    Local $o_link = @COM_EventObj
    ConsoleWrite($o_link.href & @CR)
EndFunc

Dale

Free Internet Tools: DebugBar, AutoIt IE Builder, HTTP UDF, MODIV2, IE Developer Toolbar, IEDocMon, Fiddler, HTML Validator, WGet, curl

MSDN docs: InternetExplorer Object, Document Object, Overviews and Tutorials, DHTML Objects, DHTML Events, WinHttpRequest, XmlHttpRequest, Cross-Frame Scripting, Office object model

Alternative to _IECreateEmbedded? better: _IECreatePseudoEmbedded  Better Better?

Doesn't work needs to be ripped out of the troubleshooting lexicon. It means that what you tried did not produce the results you expected. It begs the questions 1) what did you try?, 2) what did you expect? and 3) what happened instead?

Reproducer: a small (the smallest?) piece of stand-alone code that demonstrates your trouble

Interesting query... here you go:

#include <IE.au3>

For $oLink in $oLinks
Next

While 1
    Sleep(100)
WEnd

Func _Evt_onclick()
EndFunc

Dale

ow great, i'm getting to understand about it, this function insert javascript on to the page, but what if i need to remove it(them) again? also do u know what is the ClipPut(value) on javascript? i have an idea how to get value from javascript back to auto-it through the clipboard memory. Edited by soulhealer

ow great, i'm getting to understand about it, this function insert javascript on to the page, but what if i need to remove it(them) again? also do u know what is the ClipPut(value) on javascript? i have an idea how to get value from javascript back to auto-it through the clipboard memory.

This has no affect on the actual page source, only the in-memory copy. Simply reload the page.

Dale

Edit: Typo

Edited by DaleHohm

i found it, it is window.clipboardData.setData("Text","text to put on clipboard")

the problem is, i dunno what to put on the clipboard. what is the var(on javascript) for the link that was gonna be halted/captured?

Edited by soulhealer

I don't understand what you are trying to accomplish.

Dale

i found it

this.href

here's my idea:

#include <IE.au3>

For $oLink in $oLinks
    _IEHeadInsertEventScript($oIE, $sLinkId, "onclick", "window.clipboardData.setData('Text',this.href);return false;")
Next

$oldclip = ""

While 1
    If $oldclip <> ClipGet() Then
       MsgBox(0,"hooray","the link clicked was " & ClipGet())
       $oldclip = ClipGet()
       Else
     ;
    EndIf
    Sleep(100)
WEnd

i just wanted the clicked link value can be retrieved by auto-it so i can put this on my main script, i believe this will work, so thanks a lot, i'm going to sleep now, gonna test this when i woke up. if u find any error or any better way, please post here again, i appreciate it, and again, thanks a lot :D

Edited by soulhealer

Nice, but you can get the same result in the code I posted without using the clipboard or doing any polling if you add your MsgBox...

#include <IE.au3>

For $oLink in $oLinks
Next

While 1
    Sleep(100)
WEnd

Func _Evt_onclick()
    MsgBox(0,"hooray","the link clicked was " & $o_link.href)
EndFunc

Edit: typo

Edited by DaleHohm

Nice, but you can get the same result in the code I posted without using the clipboard or doing any polling if you add your MsgBox...

#include <IE.au3>

For $oLink in $oLinks
Next

While 1
    Sleep(100)
WEnd

Func _Evt_onclick()
    MsgBox(0,"hooray","the link clicked was " & $o_link.href)
EndFunc

Edit: typo

yes, yours work perfectly :D i'm attaching yours now in my main script, thanks. Edited by soulhealer

• 2 years later...

yes, yours work perfectly :blink: i'm attaching yours now in my main script, thanks.

What if you want to detect the links on a page that is always updating? Like in my situation, I have a live embeded IE window, that constantly has links being added to it. So, inserting the event handler when the IE window is created isn't going to work.

I need to be able to detect the link that was clicked, so that I can execute a function, code, or launch the browser. For example, if the link clicked is like: #STSTS-THIS%20ONE; then it would execute a function, or if it was a normal link that includes :// then it would execute the local browser to that address.

This basically allows me to respond to content in the embeded IE window, that is always changing, and fire off events, or normal actions.

Thanks!

-_-------__--_-_-____---_-_--_-__-__-_ ^^€ñ†®øÞÿ ë×阮§ wï†høµ† ƒë@®, wï†høµ† †ïmë, @ñd wï†høµ† @ †ïmïdï†ÿ ƒø® !ïƒë. €×阮 ñø†, bµ† ïñ§†ë@d wï†hïñ, ñ@ÿ, †h®øµghøµ† †hë 맧ëñ§ë øƒ !ïƒë.