SciTE Tools menu options missing in regular user account

teridon

Hi,

When I run SciTE (the current version from http://www.autoitscript.com/autoit3/downloads.shtml) as a regular (non-admin) user, the Tools menu 1) is missing 90% of the items (e.g. BetaRun, BetaCompile, Tidy, etc) and 2) has dimmed the "compile", "build", and "go" options.

In other words, I cannot run an AutoIT script (or any other language, either) when I'm using SciTE as a regular user.

I tried uninstalling and deleting the SciTE.session file in %USERPROFILE% and then reinstalling, but that didn't seem to change anything.

Ideas, please?

• Developers

Is this on a Vista Pc?

You could try running the current Beta version of the installer that has many fixes for Security settings on Vista.

Jos

SciTE4AutoIt3 Full installer Download page   - Beta files       Read before posting     How to post scriptsource   Forum etiquette  Forum Rules 

Live for the present,
Dream of the future,
Learn from the past.
  :)

Hi,

When I run SciTE (the current version from http://www.autoitscript.com/autoit3/downloads.shtml) as a regular (non-admin) user, the Tools menu 1) is missing 90% of the items (e.g. BetaRun, BetaCompile, Tidy, etc) and 2) has dimmed the "compile", "build", and "go" options.

In other words, I cannot run an AutoIT script (or any other language, either) when I'm using SciTE as a regular user.

I tried uninstalling and deleting the SciTE.session file in %USERPROFILE% and then reinstalling, but that didn't seem to change anything.

Ideas, please?

This is happening to me, too, on an XP machine, but with an admin account logged in. Also using the latest production version, just downloaded/installed today. Same symptoms (most Tools items missing, compile/build/go greyed out), plus the function popup doesn't appear to work (nothing happens when I press shift+F1).

This is happening to me, too, on an XP machine, but with an admin account logged in. Also using the latest production version, just downloaded/installed today. Same symptoms (most Tools items missing, compile/build/go greyed out), plus the function popup doesn't appear to work (nothing happens when I press shift+F1).

Think I might have found the issue (for my case, at least) - the tools/function popup don't show until you've saved the current file with a .au3 extension. I'm guessing that before that, it doesn't know whether you're writing an autoit script or something else, so it doesn't make the autoit-specific tools available.

• Developers

This is on XP.

Help (F1) doesn't work for me in the regular user account either.

The reason is probably that the au3,properties is kinda empty since the user needs write access to it to allow some utilities to do their thing.

That is why I am asking to try the Beta version and to see if that fixes it since that has the #requireadmin setting where needed.

Jos

SciTE4AutoIt3 Full installer Download page   - Beta files       Read before posting     How to post scriptsource   Forum etiquette  Forum Rules 

Live for the present,
Dream of the future,
Learn from the past.

• Developers

Think I might have found the issue (for my case, at least) - the tools/function popup don't show until you've saved the current file with a .au3 extension. I'm guessing that before that, it doesn't know whether you're writing an autoit script or something else, so it doesn't make the autoit-specific tools available.

True too: Its is important that the file is saved with.au3 as extension or else SciTE will not know its a AutoIt3 script .

Live for the present,
Dream of the future,
Learn from the past.

The reason is probably that the au3,properties is kinda empty since the user needs write access to it to allow some utilities to do their thing.

That is why I am asking to try the Beta version and to see if that fixes it since that has the #requireadmin setting where needed.

Jos

au3.properties is not empty.

I tried changing permissions on the entire Program Files\AutoIt3 folder (and all subfolders) to allow Everyone full control. This fixed the issue. Does the beta installer set more "focused" permissions so that only the "proper" files are writable by everyone?

The correct solution IMO is to put files that need write access in the user's %APPDATA% folder.

Edited by teridon

• Developers

The installer will run SetAcl to change the security of the SciTE directory to allow the group "users" and "power users" full rights to the directory and its files.

The assumption has been that people that build scripts normally have admin rights to their box anyways and changing it to use the %appdata% isn't that easy.

Live for the present,
Dream of the future,
Learn from the past.