USB Printing Support

vrocco

When you plug in a usb printer, windows automatically installs usb printing support and creates the usb virtual printer ports.

My problem is this: I need to install a printer while loading systems without plugging the printer in. I can do this easily using a dllcall with the printui.dll as described here: http://www.windowsitpro.com/Articles/Artic...4539/14539.html.

However, if no usb printer has ever been plugged in, (these are fresh installs), then the USB001 port will not exist and I can't set up the printer to use that port.

Is there a way to install usb printing support without plugging in a usb printer and create the virtual printer ports??

Thanks!

You can try copying the registry keys over from a machine that already has the printer installed. I don't know for sure if the port will effectivly be created by only the registry key's though.

Look here for the port lists:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Ports

and here for the pinter configuration:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Print\Printers

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Print\Printers

The driver is not so much the problem. It's that Windows doesn't actually create that virtual printer port until you plug the printer in. I am trying to find a way to create that port.

The port is installed by a driver...