A set of question for file

I'm just curious, why would you attempt to use a string buffer that large in the first place?

Because you are a beginner and you don't know how to open a file and read it in sequences.

- The Kandie Man ;-)

"So man has sown the wind and reaped the world. Perhaps in the next few hours there will no remembrance of the past and no hope for the future that might have been." & _"All the works of man will be consumed in the great fire after which he was created." & _"And if there is a future for man, insensitive as he is, proud and defiant in his pursuit of power, let him resolve to live it lovingly, for he knows well how to do so." & _"Then he may say once more, 'Truly the light is sweet, and what a pleasant thing it is for the eyes to see the sun.'" - The Day the Earth Caught Fire

I have answered more than one topic with something in it like this: "But I can't just work with the whole file because it's huge, at about 100MB!"

And my answer would be something like: "A 100MB file is not scary. AutoIt can handle strings up to 2GB, so just read the whole file, do the (StringReplace|Transform|RegExp|Whatever) on the whole thing, then write it back."

Now a StringReplace or StringRegExp may not take 2x memory, but I have learned from this topic to test those limits before counting on them in production.

:D

Valuater's AutoIt 1-2-3, Class... Is now in Session!For those who want somebody to write the script for them: RentACoder"Any technology distinguishable from magic is insufficiently advanced." -- Geek's corollary to Clarke's law

I think the FAQ area of the help file and the Autoit3 Limits/defaults area need to be updated to reflect this.

Also Why doesn't the Autoit3 Limits/defaults area have all of the technical limits from the FAQ?

Do u thing if i do fileread directly into sqlte it will be find ???

Hi,

I think the "import" commmand from the command sqlite.exe or similar has its own mechanism of loading a file, and you could ask about limitations on the sqlite forum. It is basically fast, fast!... I think it would only have huge limits, as I doubt it uses much memory at once..

Best, Randall

That answer is rather obvious. More bits means bigger numbers. Bigger numbers mean things can be bigger that use numbers.

weaponx, and what would you have us write? That the limit is a calculation of 2GB minus your total system resources available / 2 due to being Unicode / ~2 for string growth? The fact is, the technical limit of AutoIt is 2GB. It doesn't matter what architecture you're on, you're limited at 2GB. We are in control of that limit and I believe it exists on 64-bit OS as well, although that could be "fixed". But what we are not in control of is the actual practical limit. That will not only vary from machine to machine, that will vary from machine load to machine load as certain applications unrelated to AutoIt are going to take up more resources so one day you might get 350MB and the next day 400MB just because you didn't have VMware running or something on the second day.

Just to be clear. The 2GB limit of strings is not memory related. At 2GB, we run out of numbers to index into the string (signed int). The memory issue will come into play long before that time and is outside our control. The fact that AutoIt is Unicode means you're only going to get ~1GB of string data, at best, before you run out of memory. And with the other issues that have been mentioned you're looking at < 512MB.

It would be nice to have a snippet in the help file about the Unicode aspect and a reminder that this is limited by your OS architecture.

Any reason why the information in the FAQ and limits area is seperate?

They were written at separate times and none of us like working on the documentation.

Well that goes without saying, have to make your hot blonde assistant do something other than crawling around under your desk.

• Developers

Well that goes without saying, have to make your hot blonde assistant do something other than crawling around under your desk.

Probably the only thing she's good at ....... cleaning under the desk that is :D

SciTE4AutoIt3 Full installer Download page   - Beta files       Read before posting     How to post scriptsource   Forum etiquette  Forum Rules 

Live for the present,
Dream of the future,
Learn from the past.
  :)

If there was a hot blonde "cleaning" under my desk there would not only be no documentation, there'd be no features, either.

Oh there would be a new feature, a BMW to keep her mouth shut so your wife doesn't find out.

Oh there would be a new feature, a BMW to keep her mouth shut so your wife doesn't find out.

A new low in thread hijacking...

:D

Valuater's AutoIt 1-2-3, Class... Is now in Session!For those who want somebody to write the script for them: RentACoder"Any technology distinguishable from magic is insufficiently advanced." -- Geek's corollary to Clarke's law