Getting 2 folders during copy. How to fix?

Well, Blunderwoman strikes again <g>. Can't get this one to work though it's close. I'm doing a dircopy to back up a folder on the C drive. I'm getting the right target folder (with correct date and time stamp) but it gets created as an empty folder. Instead, the data is being copied into a separate, created folder labelled "1" each time script is invoked. So don't know where I'm screwing up. I should end up with one folder, the date- and time-stamped target folder, holding the backups! <g>

Here is the code:

$foldername = DirCreate("L:\WEReplacements\WERepl- PowerDesk Pro 6\APP- PowerDesk Pro 6\BKP- Settings\PowerDeskFavorites- " & @YEAR & "." & @MON & "." & @MDAY & ", " & @HOUR & "h" & @MIN & "m" & @SEC & "s")
DirCopy("C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Application Data\VCOM\PowerDesk", $foldername)

Thanks! :D

Edited by Diana (Cda)

This should keep you from overwriting a good backup and at least help make sure that one was created:

$destination_Folder = "L:\WEReplacements\WERepl- PowerDesk Pro 6\APP- PowerDesk Pro 6"
$destination_Folder &= "\BKP- Settings\PowerDeskFavs_"
$destination_Folder &= @YEAR & "_" & @MON & "_" & @MDAY
$source_Folder = "C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Application Data\VCOM\PowerDesk"
$overwrite = 0
If FileExists($destination_Folder) Then
    $RetVal = MsgBox(262144+4096+32+3, "Backup", "The destination folder already exists. Overwrite?")
    If $RetVal = 6 Then
        $overwrite = 1
    Else
        Exit
    EndIf
EndIf
$RetVal = DirCopy($source_Folder, $destination_Folder, $overwrite)
If Not $RetVal Then
    MsgBox(262144+4096+64, "", "There was an error backing up PowerDesk favorites.")
EndIf
; I don't care what they say, a folder path should be no longer than 90 char's 
; and a folder name no longer than 22 characters in length.
; dots - "." - in a folder name are not such a good idea either

I am unsure of the wisdom of using incremental backups as well.

Edited by Squirrely1

Das Häschen benutzt Radar

Well, Blunderwoman strikes again <g>. Can't get this one to work though it's close. I'm doing a dircopy to back up a folder on the C drive. I'm getting the right target folder (with correct date and time stamp) but it gets created as an empty folder. Instead, the data is being copied into a separate, created folder labelled "1" each time script is invoked. So don't know where I'm screwing up. I should end up with one folder, the date- and time-stamped target folder, holding the backups! <g>

Here is the code:

$foldername = DirCreate("L:\WEReplacements\WERepl- PowerDesk Pro 6\APP- PowerDesk Pro 6\BKP- Settings\PowerDeskFavorites- " & @YEAR & "." & @MON & "." & @MDAY & ", " & @HOUR & "h" & @MIN & "m" & @SEC & "s")
DirCopy("C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Application Data\VCOM\PowerDesk", $foldername)oÝ÷ Ù8ZK7ßú®¢×°«y«^­ën®{5ûayØ«yËh¯,²Ëqë,~éeÉÊÞj×méÚ궩jØh~Ø^v*ÞrÚ+É«­¢+ØÀÌØí½±É¹µôÅÕ½Ðí0èÀäÈí]IÁ±µ¹ÑÌÀäÈí]IÁ°´A½ÝÉͬAɼØÀäÈíA@´A½ÝÉͬAɼØÀäÈí -@´MÑÑ¥¹ÌÀäÈíA½ÝÉͭٽɥÑÌ´ÅÕ½ÐìµÀìeHµÀìÅÕ½Ðì¸ÅÕ½ÐìµÀì5=8µÀìÅÕ½Ðì¸ÅÕ½ÐìµÀì5dµÀìÅÕ½Ðì°ÅÕ½ÐìµÀì!=UHµÀìÅÕ½Ðí ÅÕ½ÐìµÀì5%8µÀìÅÕ½Ðí´ÅÕ½ÐìµÀìMµÀìÅÕ½ÐíÌÅÕ½Ðì(ÀÌØí¥MÑÑÕÌô¥É
ÉÑ ÀÌØí½±É¹µ¤)%ÀÌØí¥MÑÑÕÌôÄQ¡¸(%¥É
½Áä ÅÕ½ÐíèÀäÈí½Õµ¹Ñ̹MÑÑ¥¹ÌÀäÈíµ¥¹¥ÍÑÉѽÈÀäÈíÁÁ±¥Ñ¥½¸ÑÀäÈíY
=4ÀäÈíA½ÝÉͬÅÕ½Ðì°ÀÌØí½±É¹µ¤)¹%

"Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the universe trying to build bigger and better idiots. So far, the universe is winning."- Rick Cook

This should keep you from overwriting a good backup and at least help make sure that one was created:

$destination_Folder = "L:\WEReplacements\WERepl- PowerDesk Pro 6\APP- PowerDesk Pro 6"
$destination_Folder &= "\BKP- Settings\PowerDeskFavs_"
$destination_Folder &= @YEAR & "_" & @MON & "_" & @MDAY
$source_Folder = "C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Application Data\VCOM\PowerDesk"
$overwrite = 0
    $RetVal = MsgBox(262144+4096+32+3, "Backup", "The destination folder already exists. Overwrite?")
    If $RetVal = 6 Then
        $overwrite = 1
    Else
        Exit
    EndIf
EndIf
If Not $RetVal Then
    MsgBox(262144+4096+64, "", "There was an error backing up PowerDesk favorites.")
EndIf
; I don't care what they say, a folder path should be no longer than 90 char's 
; and a folder name no longer than 22 characters in length.
; dots - "." - in a folder name are not such a good idea either
This is quite complex, but it works. I naturally had to change the folder structure to what I needed, so those 2 lines of code now look like this:

$destination_Folder &= "\BKP- Settings\PowerDeskFavourites- "

$destination_Folder &= @YEAR & "." & @MON & "." & @MDAY & ", " & @HOUR & "h" & @MIN & "m" & @SEC & "s"

<g>

I am unsure of the wisdom of using incremental backups as well.

Understood. But sometimes necessary. I use seconds on these types of backups because sometimes I'm in the middle of heavy editing and might make several backups over a period of a few minutes because I think I'm done and find I'm not. Then I'll delete all but that last one.

Thanks! :D

This is quite complex...

You say my code is complex - I'm kind of an amatuer. The real coders here on the AutoIt forums know C++ and COM, they call API's using DLL's - heck, they even use machine code sometimes - and I can get lost pretty easily there. :D

But thank-you for the thanks Diana (Cda) - (I guess that stands for .cda the file extension for audio CD's)

Edited by Squirrely1

Das Häschen benutzt Radar

You say my code is complex - I'm kind of an amatuer. The real coders here on the AutoIt forums know C++ and COM, they call API's using DLL's - heck, they even use machine code sometimes - and I can get lost pretty easily there. :D

But thank-you for the thanks Diana (Cda) - (I guess that stands for .cda the file extension for audio CD's)

Complex for me <g>. You're way ahead of me, then. ;)

Nope, Cda actually stands for Canada. <lol>

Thanks. :P

Thought I should close this thread up. End result for the backups at work is like this, which is nicer in one way than one at home. Setup is different and here I can @UserProfileDir rather than absolute paths:

$destination_Folder = @UserProfileDir & "\Favorites\01\0WXP\APP- PowerDesk Pro 6"
$destination_Folder &= "\BKP- Settings\PD6FavsWORK- "
$destination_Folder &= @YEAR & "." & @MON & "." & @MDAY & ", " & @HOUR & "h" & @MIN & "m" & @SEC & "s"
$source_Folder = @UserProfileDir & "\Application Data\VCOM\PowerDesk"
$overwrite = 0

Send("F5")

$RetVal = MsgBox(262144+4096+32+3, "Backup", "The destination folder already exists.  Overwrite?")
    If $RetVal = 6 Then
        $overwrite = 1
    Else
        Exit
    EndIf
EndIf
If Not $RetVal Then
EndIf

Send("F5")
Works just great! I've left the error handling in re destination folder even though it's s highly unlikely in this case that it'll ever be an issue because of the time stamp format I use which includes seconds (which is why I do that). But good to keep that in there for future, other uses where I probably won't use the time stamp to that degree on folder names.

Thanks. :D

• 2 weeks later...

I decided to add additional error handling but ran into some trouble. I have the right idea, I think, I'm just stuck on the correct syntax. I suspect the $overwrite may be at fault, but I'm not exactly sure. Here's the code as it stands now:

$destination_Folder &= "\BKP- Settings\PD6FavsHOME- "
$overwrite = 0

Send("F5")

If Not FileExists($destination_Folder) Then
    $RetVal = MsgBox(48,"DESTINATION folder error ...","The PowerDesk settings DESTINATION folder does not exist.")
    If $RetVal = 6 Then
        $overwrite = 1
    Else
        Exit
    EndIf
EndIf

If Not FileExists($source_Folder) Then
    $RetVal = MsgBox(48,"SOURCE folder error ...","The PowerDesk settings SOURCE folder does not exist.")
    If $RetVal = 6 Then
        $overwrite = 1
    Else
        Exit
    EndIf
EndIf

If Not $RetVal Then
EndIf

Send("F5")
I don't really need overwrite error handling as the time- and date-stamps should take care of duplication. There won't be any since the time-stamp includes seconds. But I don't know what to replace that with, or what to do about it.

However, what is an issue is that either the source folder or the destination folder may sometimes have problems (i.e., esp. when I migrate to somewhere else or a change in the names of the folders).

How can this code be changed so it would work, pls?

Thanks! :)

Hi.

If Not FileExists($destination_Folder) Then
    $RetVal = MsgBox(48,"DESTINATION folder error ...","The PowerDesk settings DESTINATION folder does not exist.")
    If $RetVal = 6 Then
        $overwrite = 1
    Else
        Exit
    EndIf
EndIf

If Not FileExists($source_Folder) Then
    $RetVal = MsgBox(48,"SOURCE folder error ...","The PowerDesk settings SOURCE folder does not exist.")
    If $RetVal = 6 Then
        $overwrite = 1
    Else
        Exit
    EndIf
EndIf
These are both the same in terms of variables or something in the syntax around them, I think, and I just don't know enough about variables to fix. Right now the script in the message above isn't working and I think the problem lies in this piece above quoted here. I'd just like to make this script work for any condition and prompting user when one of the 2 folders is missing, for whatever the reason, is best way to do this.

Thanks. :)