Generic question can AutoIT automate a DOS program

jstump1

It seems like you know what you are doing with that legacy software (TIPPS) now.

I think you are probably saving the taxpayers of Michigan some money by handling this conversion yourself. The Feds must have spent $10 billion preparing for the "Y2K" computer issues, back when. Oh well, I guess they, being liberals and knowing how our monetary system can wiz-up money out of thin air, they borrowed it against the full faith and credit of the people of the United States.

With the Chinese buying up our country - how is your Mandarin coming along?

I'm glad you were able to get some reports converted and take a bite out of this project.

On my machine, there is a way to increase a memory buffer, not to be confused with the other types, if you go to

Command Prompt Properties > Options tab > Command history > Buffer size & Number of buffers

But probably you don't want to change your strategy at this late date, but just get that data into a modern file format.

As regards the filename length, you could change this

StringFormat("%05u%s", $counter)

to this:

StringFormat("%04u%s", $counter)

to help get the four digit filename format.

On the case structure thing, bearing in mind that any variables first used in a user function such as this:

Func MyFunky()

;...

EndFunc

have the Local scope and lose their value and validity when instantiated thereafter outside of the function, you will eventually end up seeing the value of creating user functions, especially for repetitive tasks. They can take parameters and can return values, error codes, extended codes and even arrays. You first find out about them in the Help file under:

AutoIt > Language Reference > Functions

Happy trails ! :)

Edited by Squirrely1

Das Häschen benutzt Radar