How to install/run multiple Autoit versions

Well I just installed the latest version (3.2.10.0) and the latest SCITE as well. I have alarge GUI program (>5000 lines)

that I rely heavily on. When I try to compile it I'm getting several errors because things have been renamed (_GuiCtrlList functions and many others). I'm even having some problems in KODA in terms of

colors of fields etc. It is looking like it would take forever to go through all 5000 lines to rename functions etc.

So, to my question. Is there an easy way to keep my last version (3.2.4.9) installed and also have the latest one installed. It

would be nice if I could use the older version when messing with my large code but use the newer version for all the new scripts

that I create. I noticed that even though you can install Autoit in a directory other that AutoIt3, it still creates this directory and

puts some apparently useful files in there.

Before I go making this an even bigger mess, can someone advise me on how to proceed. I know this has to be a common issue (even though I didn't manage to find anything by searching the archives)......

Thanks much.

@mark2004

I have nearly the same problem. I have a lot of scripts, some large ones and many small ones.

It costs me too much time to rebuild them.

I'm wondering if it would be possible to use the "beta version" option in SCITE for my old copy of AutoIT while I'm running

the latest version of AutoIT as current version.

EDIT:

Would be great if the AutoIT installer would detect the older version and simply ask you what to do:

Install it over the current version or move the current into Beta position and the use the new version as current.

Edited by Scriptonize

If you learn from It, it's not a mistake

None that I know of.. Might post your code and see if someone might wanna help you do or guide you in making the proper changes to the new syntax...

Well I think part of the problem is that I relied heavily on UDFs. Many of them were renamed and I just spent the last couple

hours renaming them and thier new #include statements. Now I can compile and run the code but there are already several

things I've noticed that don't work right. Also, getting strange error messages related to GuiCtrlDelete. Something about

passing handles instead of control ID's to UDFs. I'm beginning to think this is just going to take too much time to track down

everything.....

Looks like I'm going back to 3.2.4.9 unless someone comes up with a clever way to create a version selection from within

SCITe.

I had the same problem, but i solved it with one little(?) script...

AutoIt_Path_Switcher.au3

Just run it, select AutoIt path, press "OK" or "Switch", and then all *.au3 files will be associated with the selected AutoIt instance (path).

This app also is available from the system tray menu (when mimized).

Edited by MsCreatoR

Spoiler

Using OS: Win 7 Professional, Using AutoIt Ver(s): 3.3.6.1 / 3.3.8.1

AutoIt_Rus_Community.png AutoIt Russian Community

My Work...

Spoiler

AutoIt_Icon_small.pngProjects: ATT - Application Translate Tool {new}| BlockIt - Block files & folders {new}| SIP - Selected Image Preview {new}| SISCABMAN - SciTE Abbreviations Manager {new}| AutoIt Path Switcher | AutoIt Menu for Opera! | YouTube Download Center! | Desktop Icons Restorator | Math Tasks | KeyBoard & Mouse Cleaner | CaptureIt - Capture Images Utility | CheckFileSize Program

AutoIt_Icon_small.pngUDFs: OnAutoItErrorRegister - Handle AutoIt critical errors {new}| AutoIt Syntax Highlight {new}| Opera Library! | Winamp Library | GetFolderToMenu | Custom_InputBox()! | _FileRun UDF | _CheckInput() UDF | _GUIInputSetOnlyNumbers() UDF | _FileGetValidName() UDF | _GUICtrlCreateRadioCBox UDF | _GuiCreateGrid() | _PathSplitByRegExp() | _GUICtrlListView_MoveItems - UDF | GUICtrlSetOnHover_UDF! | _ControlTab UDF! | _MouseSetOnEvent() UDF! | _ProcessListEx - UDF | GUICtrl_SetResizing - UDF! | Mod. for _IniString UDFs | _StringStripChars UDF | _ColorIsDarkShade UDF | _ColorConvertValue UDF | _GUICtrlTab_CoverBackground | CUI_App_UDF | _IncludeScripts UDF | _AutoIt3ExecuteCode | _DragList UDF | Mod. for _ListView_Progress | _ListView_SysLink | _GenerateRandomNumbers | _BlockInputEx | _IsPressedEx | OnAutoItExit Handler | _GUICtrlCreateTFLabel UDF | WinControlSetEvent UDF | Mod. for _DirGetSizeEx UDF

AutoIt_Icon_small.pngExamples: 
ScreenSaver Demo - Matrix included | Gui Drag Without pause the script | _WinAttach()! | Turn Off/On Monitor | ComboBox Handler Example | Mod. for "Thinking Box" | Cool "About" Box | TasksBar Imitation Demo

Like the Projects/UDFs/Examples? Please rate the topic (up-right corner of the post header: Rating AutoIt_Rating.gif)

* === My topics === *

==================================================
My_Userbar.gif

AutoIt is simple, subtle, elegant. © AutoIt Team

I had the same problem, but i solved it with one little(?) script...

AutoIt_Path_Switcher.au3

Just run it, select AutoIt path, press "OK" or "Switch", and then all *.au3 files will be associated with the selected AutoIt instance (path).

This app also is available from the system tray menu (when mimized).

Wow!! That looks like exactly what I need.

I will give it a try!!

Thanks very much.

I've been having the same problems with v3.2.10...one script in particular. I went through and used Find/Replace to rename all the functions and figured out what files I now needed to #include, and finally the syntax checker is happy, but when I run it, there are a few tasks that will suddenly cause Windows to report that AutoIt has stopped working and it tries to send an error report. I was surprised that I didn't at least get an AutoIt error...it just crashes!

Anyway, all this to ask; has anyone written a script that 'upgrades' a script you select from v3.2.9.x to 3.2.10.x syntax? Presumably it's easy to do with StringReplace(), but I can't even find a comprehensive list of everything that changed (other than "lots of UDF work"), so I wouldn't know where to start. At least it'll be easy to go from 3.2.10 to 3.2.11...as Valik (I think) posted a full list of everything that will break...is there anything like this for 3.2.10?

"There are 10 types of people in this world - those who can read binary, and those who can't.""We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true." ~Robert Wilensky0101101 1001010 1100001 1101101 1100101 1110011 0110011 1001101 10001110000101 0000111 0001000 0001110 0001101 0010010 1010110 0100001 1101110

I can't even find a comprehensive list of everything that changed (other than "lots of UDF work"), so I wouldn't know where to start.

You have that list in the help file (of 3.2.10.0)...

In the AutoIt3.chm file see for «History / ChangeLog», and in the UDFs3.chm help file see for «UDFs renaming/history».

Spoiler

Using OS: Win 7 Professional, Using AutoIt Ver(s): 3.3.6.1 / 3.3.8.1

AutoIt_Rus_Community.png AutoIt Russian Community

My Work...

Spoiler

AutoIt_Icon_small.pngProjects: ATT - Application Translate Tool {new}| BlockIt - Block files & folders {new}| SIP - Selected Image Preview {new}| SISCABMAN - SciTE Abbreviations Manager {new}| AutoIt Path Switcher | AutoIt Menu for Opera! | YouTube Download Center! | Desktop Icons Restorator | Math Tasks | KeyBoard & Mouse Cleaner | CaptureIt - Capture Images Utility | CheckFileSize Program

AutoIt_Icon_small.pngUDFs: OnAutoItErrorRegister - Handle AutoIt critical errors {new}| AutoIt Syntax Highlight {new}| Opera Library! | Winamp Library | GetFolderToMenu | Custom_InputBox()! | _FileRun UDF | _CheckInput() UDF | _GUIInputSetOnlyNumbers() UDF | _FileGetValidName() UDF | _GUICtrlCreateRadioCBox UDF | _GuiCreateGrid() | _PathSplitByRegExp() | _GUICtrlListView_MoveItems - UDF | GUICtrlSetOnHover_UDF! | _ControlTab UDF! | _MouseSetOnEvent() UDF! | _ProcessListEx - UDF | GUICtrl_SetResizing - UDF! | Mod. for _IniString UDFs | _StringStripChars UDF | _ColorIsDarkShade UDF | _ColorConvertValue UDF | _GUICtrlTab_CoverBackground | CUI_App_UDF | _IncludeScripts UDF | _AutoIt3ExecuteCode | _DragList UDF | Mod. for _ListView_Progress | _ListView_SysLink | _GenerateRandomNumbers | _BlockInputEx | _IsPressedEx | OnAutoItExit Handler | _GUICtrlCreateTFLabel UDF | WinControlSetEvent UDF | Mod. for _DirGetSizeEx UDF

AutoIt_Icon_small.pngExamples: 
ScreenSaver Demo - Matrix included | Gui Drag Without pause the script | _WinAttach()! | Turn Off/On Monitor | ComboBox Handler Example | Mod. for "Thinking Box" | Cool "About" Box | TasksBar Imitation Demo

Like the Projects/UDFs/Examples? Please rate the topic (up-right corner of the post header: Rating AutoIt_Rating.gif)

* === My topics === *

My_Userbar.gif

AutoIt is simple, subtle, elegant. © AutoIt Team

You have that list in the help file (of 3.2.10.0)...

In the AutoIt3.chm file see for «History / ChangeLog», and in the UDFs3.chm help file see for «UDFs renaming/history».

Great-thanks. I didn't know there was another chm for the UDFs. :D
"There are 10 types of people in this world - those who can read binary, and those who can't.""We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true." ~Robert Wilensky0101101 1001010 1100001 1101101 1100101 1110011 0110011 1001101 10001110000101 0000111 0001000 0001110 0001101 0010010 1010110 0100001 1101110

• 2 weeks later...

@MsCreatoR

Your PathSwitcher script looks like a very good idea. :)

For anyone who already has a number of scripts that work fine with an earlier version of AutoIt, the simplest way to maintain those scripts is to retain the earlier version of AutoIt that those scripts were developed in rather than "porting" those scripts to the latest version of AutoIt just to keep them working.

A different matter of course if the later versions of AutoIt add some new feature that improves the script; but having to port working scripts to the latest version of AutoIt when new features are not needed is just plain dumb IMHO.

Perhaps the developers should consider integrating the PathSwitcher into the AutoIt distribution so that "out of the box" it is easy to use multiple versions of AutoIt on the one computer.

• Developers

Another option you can use is to hardcode the AutoIt3.exe or Aut2Exe.exe to use:

#AutoIt3Wrapper_AUTOIT3=C:\mypath\autoit3\autoit3.exe
#AutoIt3Wrapper_AUT2EXE=C:\mypath\autoit3\aut2exe\aut2exe.exe

This is an undocumented directive which is there for backwards compatibility.

Edited by Jos

SciTE4AutoIt3 Full installer Download page   - Beta files       Read before posting     How to post scriptsource   Forum etiquette  Forum Rules 

Live for the present,
Dream of the future,
Learn from the past.
  :)

Another option you can use is to hardcode the AutoIt3.exe or Aut2Exe.exe to use:

#AutoIt3Wrapper_AUTOIT3=C:\mypath\autoit3\aut2exe.exe
#AutoIt3Wrapper_AUT2EXE=#AutoIt3Wrapper_AUT2EXE=C:\mypath\autoit3\aut2exe\aut2exe.exe

This is an undocumented directive which is there for backwards compatibility.

Should that be

#AutoIt3Wrapper_AUTOIT3=C:\mypath\autoit3\autoit3exe.exe

??

Edit: correct error

Edited by martin
Serial port communications UDF Includes functions for binary transmission and reception.printing UDF Useful for graphs, forms, labels, reports etc.Add User Call Tips to SciTE for functions in UDFs not included with AutoIt and for your own scripts.Functions with parameters in OnEvent mode and for Hot Keys One function replaces GuiSetOnEvent, GuiCtrlSetOnEvent and HotKeySet.UDF IsConnected2 for notification of status of connected state of many urls or IPs, without slowing the script.

• Developers

Should that be

#AutoIt3Wrapper_AUTOIT3=C:\mypath\autoit3\autit3exe.exe

??

yes ... :) (but then Autoit3.exe :) ) Edited by Jos

SciTE4AutoIt3 Full installer Download page   - Beta files       Read before posting     How to post scriptsource   Forum etiquette  Forum Rules 

Live for the present,
Dream of the future,
Learn from the past.
  :)

yes ... :) (but then Autoit3.exe :) )

:D Of course I just made that mistake to make you feel better. :)
Serial port communications UDF Includes functions for binary transmission and reception.printing UDF Useful for graphs, forms, labels, reports etc.Add User Call Tips to SciTE for functions in UDFs not included with AutoIt and for your own scripts.Functions with parameters in OnEvent mode and for Hot Keys One function replaces GuiSetOnEvent, GuiCtrlSetOnEvent and HotKeySet.UDF IsConnected2 for notification of status of connected state of many urls or IPs, without slowing the script.