Duplicate Windows

Hi, I'm trying to write a program that will grab the text from an open Microsoft Word window. It's not for me so to prevent errors, I wanted my program to detect if there is more than one Microsoft Word currently open. I thought of using WinList("Microsoft Word") and then going through the array, but I always get an error if there's only one window and I'm checking $windows[2][0]. Is there a way to handle this, like a try catch? Or any other ideas of how to go about this? Thanks!

Hi, I'm trying to write a program that will grab the text from an open Microsoft Word window. It's not for me so to prevent errors, I wanted my program to detect if there is more than one Microsoft Word currently open. I thought of using WinList("Microsoft Word") and then going through the array, but I always get an error if there's only one window and I'm checking $windows[2][0]. Is there a way to handle this, like a try catch? Or any other ideas of how to go about this? Thanks!

Can you post your existing search code? You should be on the right track with WinList, but we'll need to see how your search process is put together in order to troubleshoot it.

- MoChr(77)& Chr(97)& Chr(100)& Chr(101)& Chr(32)& Chr(121)& Chr(97)& Chr(32)& Chr(108)& Chr(111)& Chr(111)& Chr(107)-------I've told you 100,000 times not to exaggerate!-------Don't make me hit you with my cigarette hand...-------My scripts:Random Episode Selector, Keyboard MouseMover, CopyPath v2.1, SmartRename for XP,Window Tracer[sup]New![/sup]

@Sticky - I am pretty sure that you should not programmatically close Word windows in this program, especially since it is written for someone else.

This code will warn the computer user if there is more than one Word window open, and then exit if the user clicks Cancel at the message box prompt:

Opt("WinTitleMatchMode", 2)
$wordWinds = WinList("Microsoft Word")
If $wordWinds[0][0] > 1 Then
    $retVal = MsgBox(262144+4096+64+1, "Sticky's Word-grabber", _
                "There is more than one Microsoft Word window open.   "_ 
        & @CR & "Please close all but one and click OK, or else " _
        & @CR & "click Cancel.")
    If $retVal <> 1 Then
        Exit
    EndIf
EndIf

Two caveats:

1. This code has not been tested.

2. The WinList function in this script, will match all windows that have the text "Microsoft Word" in their title.

Edited by Squirrely1

Das Häschen benutzt Radar

I thought of using WinList("Microsoft Word") and then going through the array, but I always get an error if there's only one window and I'm checking $windows[2][0].

WinList() returns the number of windows found in [0][0], so there is no reason to attempt access to [2][0]. You could just test If $avWordList[0][0] = 1.

:D

Valuater's AutoIt 1-2-3, Class... Is now in Session!For those who want somebody to write the script for them: RentACoder"Any technology distinguishable from magic is insufficiently advanced." -- Geek's corollary to Clarke's law