DHCP Adress

LOULOU

How can i program to have the IP range allowed by dhcp and knowing free Ip adress and busy IP adress.

THanks in advance

You would need admin access to the DHCP server to get that much information about the scope. If it's a Windows DHCP server, you can get it with WMI (provided sufficient rights).

In the commercial environment the DCHP server is very likely not Windows. In the home LAN space, even less Windows servers are used, as DHCP tends to come from a broadband router or the ISP.

:D

Valuater's AutoIt 1-2-3, Class... Is now in Session!For those who want somebody to write the script for them: RentACoder"Any technology distinguishable from magic is insufficiently advanced." -- Geek's corollary to Clarke's law

• 7 months later...

In the commercial environment the DCHP server is very likely not Windows. In the home LAN space, even less Windows servers are used, as DHCP tends to come from a broadband router or the ISP.

Does this mean that if the DHCP server is running on a Linux box, there is no way to query it from Windows?

Does this mean that if the DHCP server is running on a Linux box, there is no way to query it from Windows?

The real point is that the information you want requires Admin access to whatever DHCP service you have. Windows, Linux, or Broadband Router (probably Linux under the hood), you'll have to go in as an admin to get that information.

In each different case there will be specific interfaces available to the admin (i.e. a local management console, a commandline utility, and a locked-down web interface). Those interfaces are probably client agnostic: the Linux DHCPD doesn't care if you ssh/telnet in from Windows or Linux desktop, and the web interface doesn't care what OS the browser connecting is on.

It's not that it can't be done, it's that you haven't indicated you have the privileges and service information together to figure out how.

:)

Valuater's AutoIt 1-2-3, Class... Is now in Session!For those who want somebody to write the script for them: RentACoder"Any technology distinguishable from magic is insufficiently advanced." -- Geek's corollary to Clarke's law

It's not that it can't be done, it's that you haven't indicated you have the privileges and service information together to figure out how.

Well, in my case, I have all the priviledges necessary (I'm the admin) on both the Windows and Linux side. I tend to work most of the time on the Windows side and a lot with Autoit3 so I'd love to be able to query the DHCP server (DHCP3 running on Linux) via AutoIt3 running on Win2K Pro. I'm just fairly ignorant as to how...i.e. lower level programmatic interfaces. Humanly I have all the info I need...but of course I'm trying automate myself out of human work! :)

Edited by dleigh

Well, in my case, I have all the priviledges necessary (I'm the admin) on both the Windows and Linux side. I tend to work most of the time on the Windows side and a lot with Autoit3 so I'd love to be able to query the DHCP server (DHCP3 running on Linux) via AutoIt3 running on Win2K Pro. I'm just fairly ignorant as to how...i.e. lower level programmatic interfaces. Humanly I have all the info I need...but of course I'm trying automate myself out of human work! >_<

Through any SSH client you can connect to the Linux box with, look at the contents of /var/lib/dhcp3/dhcpd.leases, which contains the current leases allocated by DHCP.

:)