StringInStr & appending to a line text

Group,

Looking for a little help with StringInStr. I currently run a report that checks the uptime of the servers in my domain. I then have an Autoit script that formats that text file into a CSV text file and then convert it to an HTML file for export to a web page. The problem I'm running into is that if a particular server is unreachable for any reason my text output is skewed for that server. See the example text from a typical report file:

Server1 , 28 day(s), 2 hour(s), 19 minute(s), 34 second(s)

UPTIME was unable to connect to host: Server2

In the above example of text output, the first line is correct with each column being seperated by the comma. The second line is where I'm having issues. The HTML template I'm using looks for 5 columns. It sees the second line of text above as being only one column and does a 'carry over' of the days, hours, minutes and seconds from the line above. The HTML output then appears as:

Server1 , 28 day(s), 2 hour(s), 19 minute(s), 34 second(s)

UPTIME was unable to connect to host: Server2, 28 day(s), 2 hour(s), 19 minute(s), 34 second(s)

Even though the second server is down and has no reportable uptime it shows whatever the uptime was for the previous server in the list. What I need is a way to key on the 'Uptime was unable to connect to host: Server 2' and then append a 'N/A' to the next 4 columns so it appears in the text file as.

UPTIME was unable to connect to host: Server2, N/A, N/A, N/A, N/A

I assumed I could use StringInStr, but I have no idea how to append to the same line as the string I'm keying on, and since the line is dynamic as far as the server name goes, how to keep that server name in the text file.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

ZK

• Developers

are you resetting your variables everytime your read a new record? This will avoid carrying values over....

SciTE4AutoIt3 Full installer Download page   - Beta files       Read before posting     How to post scriptsource   Forum etiquette  Forum Rules 

Live for the present,
Dream of the future,
Learn from the past.
  :)

JdeB - thanks for the quick reply.

No, there are really no variables being set. The current text is simply being piped out by a program called Uptime.exe. It's raw output is simply one line similar to the following for a server it can reach:

\\Server1 has been up for: 17 day(s), 1 hour(s), 41 minute(s), 0 second(s)

and for a server it cannot reach is:

UPTIME was unable to connect to host: Server1

So from a batch file I'm piping the uptime from all the servers into a single text file like this:

Uptime.exe \\Server1>>C:\Uptime.txt

Only I do this for all of the servers so the text file contains multiple lines, one for each server. I then use an Autoit script to pretty things up and replace a few words and punctuation marks so that the file has the appropriate CSV formatting for the columns I want. I think I see what your asking, and your idea. Just not sure how to establish the variable and then read each line and compare it. Such as Day(s)=0 and then change it based on what is in that 'column' or StringInStr section of each line, since the line in question has no day(s), hours(s), minute(s) or second(s) in it as a raw text file. Hmmm... Ok, if I serach each line for the word 'Uptime', then take everything to the right of the : (which is the server name that I want to keep) and then rewrite that line so that:

UPTIME was unable to connect to host: Server1

becomes

Server1: 0 day(s), 0 hour(s), 0 minute(s), 0 second(s)

The template used in the CSV2HTML program would see the entire 5 columns filled with data and would not try to 'carry over' data from the previous line. Ok, I understand the concept, but not the process. How can I rewrite the entire line once I determine that a line needs to be changed. I've used StringInStr to replace words, etc. in a single line, but never the entire line before. If you can provide a quick code sample I would greatly appreciate it.

And thanks again for taken the time to respond so quickly before.

ZK

• Developers

Can you post the script & text file so we can have a look ?

Or just PM it to me, would be happy to have a look...

EDIT: after rereading i think this should do it:

; assume $irec is the input record
$irec = "UPTIME was unable to connect to host: Server1"
If StringInStr($irec, "was unable to connect to host") Then
   $irec = StringTrimLeft($irec, StringInStr($irec, ":"))
   $irec = $irec & ": 0 day(s), 0 hour(s), 0 minute(s), 0 second(s)"
EndIf
MsgBox(4096, 'debug:', '$irec:' & $irec);### Debug MSGBOX
Edited by JdeB

SciTE4AutoIt3 Full installer Download page   - Beta files       Read before posting     How to post scriptsource   Forum etiquette  Forum Rules 

Live for the present,
Dream of the future,
Learn from the past.

JdeB,

Getting close, your code works as long as you can specify the server name. However, the file may contain 30 lines with with 30 different servers. I want to replace those lines that are similar to the following:

UPTIME was unable to connect to host: Server2 (Server2 is whatever server is on that line)

with

Server2, 0 day(s), 0 hour(s), 0 minute(s), 0 second(s)

while keeping (but slightly changing) any line that may look like the following:

\\Server1 has been up for: 28 day(s), 2 hour(s), 19 minute(s), 34 second(s)

to

Server1, 28 day(s), 2 hour(s), 19 minute(s), 34 seconds(s)

An example of the shortend text file (uptime.txt) before the script is run is:

\\Server1 has been up for: 28 day(s), 2 hour(s), 19 minute(s), 34 second(s)

UPTIME was unable to connect to host: Server2

afterward the script is run, I want the text file (uptime.txt) to look like:

Server1, 28 day(s), 2 hour(s), 19 minute(s), 34 second(s)

Server2, 0 day(s), 0 hour(s), 0 minute(s), 0 second(s)

Here is the script I've been working with, using your sample code, but I'm having problem keeping all of the data in the text file (uptime.txt).

$szReport = "Uptime.txt"
$szText = FileRead($szReport, FileGetSize($szReport))
$irec = "UPTIME was unable to connect to host:"
If StringInStr($szText, $irec) Then
   $irec = StringTrimLeft($irec, StringInStr($irec, ":"))
   $irec = $irec & ": 0 day(s), 0 hour(s), 0 minute(s), 0 second(s)"
   MsgBox(4096, 'debug:', '$irec:' & $irec);### Debug MSGBOX
   $szText = $irec
Else
$szText = StringReplace($szText, "\\", "")
$szText = StringReplace($szText, "has been up for:", ",")
FileDelete($szReport)
FileWrite($szReport, $szText)
EndIf

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,

ZK

P.S. I downloaded Scite4Autoit3 after seeing the link on your response and all I can say is "WOW"!!! Good job on that, I started using it right away, especially the integrated Tidy tool :)

• Developers

JdeB,

Getting close, your code works as long as you can specify the server name. However, the file may contain 30 lines with with 30 different servers.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You are reading the whole file into a variable. you really want the loop and read 1 record at the time with FileReadLine() .

Just check the example given for FileReadLine() in the helpfile... :)

Live for the present,
Dream of the future,
Learn from the past.

Do you think this might work? This parses the Uptime.txt file and replaces it with a new one. It should be pretty easy to follow along, I hope. I'm sure you will have to adapt it to your situation. You will probably have to debug a little, too.

$Directory = 'c:\Directory\'
$LineNo = 0
$Pos = 0
$Line = ''

$UptimeFile = FileOpen( $Directory & "Uptime.txt", 0)
If $UptimeFile = -1 Then
    MsgBox(0, "Error", "Unable to open file - Uptime.txt" & "."))
    Exit
EndIf

$Uptime2File = FileOpen( $Directory & "Uptime2.txt", 2)
If $Uptime2File = -1 Then
    MsgBox(0, "Error", "Unable to open file - Uptime2.txt" & "."))
    Exit
EndIf

; Read in lines of Uptime.txt until the EOF is reached
While 1
   $LineNo = $LineNo + 1

$line = FileReadLine($UptimeFile)
    If @error = -1 Then
        ExitLoop
    EndIf

$Pos = StringInStr( $line, 'unable' )

If $Pos > 0 Then 
      $Line = 'Server' & $LineNo & ', 0 day(s), 0 hour(s), 0 minute(s), 0 second(s)'
      $Pos = 0
   Else
      $RestOfLine = StringTrimLeft( $Line, $Pos + 1 )
      $Line = 'Server' & $LineNo & ',' & $RestOfLine )      
   EndIf

FileWriteLine( $Uptime2File, $Line & @CRLF )

WEnd

FileClose( $Uptime )
FileClose( $Uptime2 )
FileDelete( $Directory & 'Uptime.txt'
FileCopy( $Directory & 'Uptime2.txt', $Directory & 'Uptime.txt' )
FileDelete( $Directory & 'Uptime2.txt'

Take care,

-Dw

---

A man has reached old age when he is cautioned to slow down by his doctor instead of by the police.

JdeB & dwelcher,

First, thanks for all your help with my post. For the most part I have it working due to the suggestions and code samples you both supplied. However, I've run into something within the code that doesn't appear to work and I'm curious as to why (it's not part of the main code, only the clean-up section so I can live without it). Below is the code I'm using, everything works except the commands following the WEnd statement. See Below:

$clear = "0 day(s), 0 hour(s), 0 minute(s), 0 second(s)"; ensures data for all columns
$keytxt = "UPTIME was unable to connect to host:"; establishes a check key
$uptimefile = FileOpen("uptime.txt", 0)
If $uptimefile = -1 Then
   MsgBox(0, "Error", "Unable to open file.")
   Exit
EndIf

$tempfile = FileOpen("uptemp.txt", 2)
If $tempfile = -1 Then
   MsgBox(0, "Error", "Unable to open file.")
   Exit
EndIf

While 1
   $line = FileReadLine($uptimefile)
   If @error = -1 Then Exit
   $uprecord = StringTrimRight($line, 13); Checks to match the $keytxt variable
   If $keytxt = $uprecord Then; compares for match of "UPTIME was unable to connect to host:"
      $server = StringTrimLeft($line, 38); sets variable to the server that is unreachable
     ;      MsgBox(0, "$server", "variable is: " & $server)
      $line = StringReplace($line, $server, $clear)
      $line = StringReplace($line, $uprecord, $server & ",")
     ;      MsgBox(0, "Line Test", "Line now reads: " & $line)
      FileWriteLine($tempfile, $line)
   Else
      $line = StringReplace($line, "\\", "")
      $line = StringReplace($line, " has been up for:", ",")
      FileWriteLine($tempfile, $line)
   EndIf

Wend
; Clean-up section
FileClose($uptimefile)
FileClose($tempfile)
FileDelete(@ScriptDir & '\Uptime.txt')
FileCopy(@ScriptDir & '\uptemp.txt', @ScriptDir & '\Uptime.txt', 1)
FileDelete(@ScriptDir & '\uptemp.txt')

None of the 'file' functions above seem to work. I've tried various combinations of syntax (using the full file paths, etc.) but nothing seems to happen. The Uptime.txt and uptemp.txt files do not delete (and the filecopy function does not replace the uptime.txt file). Am I missing something? (simple I'm sure...) or is it due to the flow of the script?

Thanks,

ZK

• Developers

None of the 'file' functions above seem to work. I've tried various combinations of syntax (using the full file paths, etc.) but nothing seems to happen. The Uptime.txt and uptemp.txt files do not delete (and the filecopy function does not replace the uptime.txt file). Am I missing something? (simple I'm sure...) or is it due to the flow of the script?

Thanks,

ZK

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Is the uptime.txt located in the scriptdirectory ?

Live for the present,
Dream of the future,
Learn from the past.

Uptime.txtJdeB,

Yes, for writing and testing purposes I have all files (text and script) in the same directory. I have tried expanding the paths out to a fully qualified path (i.e. FileDelete ('C:\Autoit\uptime.txt') )but there appears to be no difference in the functionality. I'm attaching a copy of the Uptime.txt file that the script file runs against. It should create a file called "uptemp.txt" (that part works correctly). Just curious as to why the file functions don't...

Thanks,

ZK

• Developers

Uptime.txtJdeB,

Yes, for writing and testing purposes I have all files (text and script) in the same directory. I have tried expanding the paths out to a fully qualified path (i.e. FileDelete ('C:\Autoit\uptime.txt') )but there appears to be no difference in the functionality. I'm attaching a copy of the Uptime.txt file that the script file runs against. It should create a file called "uptemp.txt" (that part works correctly). Just curious as to why the file functions don't...

Thanks,

ZK

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

:) just change this: If @error = -1 Then Exit

to: If @error = -1 Then ExitLoop

Live for the present,
Dream of the future,
Learn from the past.

DOH!!!!! :)

Ok, I feel SOOOO stupid now (if I were Catholic I probably would say 3 'hail Mary's' or something for my sins....) :) That obviously did the trick!

Thanks again for your help and patience,

ZK

P.S. and again for the Scite4Autoit3, I installed it yesterday and haven't stopped using it since.... Still exploring the nuances of all the tools, but the syntax checker and tidy tools are already irreplaceable.

• Developers

P.S. and again for the Scite4Autoit3, I installed it yesterday and haven't stopped using it since.... Still exploring the nuances of all the tools, but the syntax checker and tidy tools are already irreplaceable.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Glad you like it... :)

Syntax checker is made by Tylo .. i did Tidy (made in AutoIt3)

Live for the present,
Dream of the future,
Learn from the past.