cvsWrapper

TheCuz

Hello All,

I am trying to run the cvsWrapperInst.exe that I got from the AutoIt web site, but it comes up with an error message saying that SciTE is not installed. How does it check to see if SciTE is installed or not? Is there a way to troubleshoot why the installer doesn't want to work?

Thanks.

p.s. - I downloaded the installer today.

[font="Verdana"]People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it. - George Benard Shaw[/font]

• Developers

I have updated the installer to use the same logic as the SciTE4AutoIt3 installer which will retrieve the AutoIt3 directory from the registry and check if the SciTE directory exists in it.

Its uploaded so you could give it a try to see if that fixes it.

:D

SciTE4AutoIt3 Full installer Download page   - Beta files       Read before posting     How to post scriptsource   Forum etiquette  Forum Rules 

Live for the present,
Dream of the future,
Learn from the past.
  :)

Thanks Jos, I'll give it a try when I get to work tonight.

Also, TortoiseCVS now has a different installation (at least from 1.8.31) in that it doesn't install everything into the \Program Files\TortoiseCVS folder. I am not very experienced with how TortoiseCVS fully works yet, but during the 1.10.1 install, it seems that they split up parts of the system so that some things are installed into the \Program Files\TortoiseCVS folder, and the rest is installed in \Program Files\CVSNT folder.

When I installed the new version, I couldn't figure out WTF was going on because nothing for CVS was working through SciTE. From what I can tell, cvs.ese does not live in the TortoiseCVS folder any more. Someone may want to put a disclaimer on the AutoIt site that the latest release of TortoiseCVS doesn't work with the current cvsWrapper. I didn't try the 1.9.x version since it is an unstable release to see if it breaks with that as well.

There is a link on the site to get the 1.8.31 version (or can go through their SourceForge site to get it).

Thanks for the help on this, I'll let you know how things go.

[font="Verdana"]People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it. - George Benard Shaw[/font]

Someone may want to put a disclaimer on the AutoIt site that the latest release of TortoiseCVS doesn't work with the current cvsWrapper. I didn't try the 1.9.x version since it is an unstable release to see if it breaks with that as well.

There is a link on the site to get the 1.8.31 version (or can go through their SourceForge site to get it).

Thanks for the help on this, I'll let you know how things go.

@TheCuz: If you don't mind the intrusion, I would like an opinion from you. I am not a programmer and did not come to AutoIt from a C++/Java/whatever background, so I have no previous knowledge or experience with any versioning systems.

Now-a-days my AutoIt scripts are multiplying in number and complexity, and I'm even supporting forks of my install scripts for different versions of the servers. I'm starting to think it's time to try some cvsWrapper for AutoIt. Right off the bat I have a decision to make and no information to go on... SVN or CVS.

Your post indicates you chose CVS. May I ask why? And do you have an opinion on which is more likely to be useful for a versioning system noob?

@Jos: Is SVN only for the mighty inhabitants of Olympus, like yourself, or would it be a good place to start out with such things?

@big_Daddy: You went with CVS for your first try? Has that gone well? Do you wish you had started on SVN, or was CVS the best for learning?

:D

Edited by PsaltyDS
Valuater's AutoIt 1-2-3, Class... Is now in Session!For those who want somebody to write the script for them: RentACoder"Any technology distinguishable from magic is insufficiently advanced." -- Geek's corollary to Clarke's law

• Moderators

@big_Daddy: You went with CVS for your first try? Has that gone well? Do you wish you had started on SVN, or was CVS the best for learning?

The first time I ever tried cvsWrapper I used CVS, I didn't understand how to use it so I gave up. I now use SVN, although I'm no expert at it, it does what I need and is quite easy to use.

Hello PsaltyDS,

I was in the same situation as yourself where my scripts seemed to be multiplying within their project folders. I went with CVS for no other reason than to just try it. I don't have an opinion of which one to use, I have not tried SVN and cannot comment on it. About the only opinion that I have is to defiantly use some kind of version control system. Once you get the hang of it, you will not regret trying it. It defiantly gives you a better grip on controlling and tracking the changes that you made to a script.

I have been using TortoiseCVS for a while now and like what it has to offer, others may feel differently, but it does a good job of what I expect from it.

I have just started playing with tagging and branching, but between school and work, I don't have very much play time.

If you want to try and implement Tortoise with the cvsWrapper, I can try and help. The initial learning curve isn't that bad, you just have to be patient with it and it will fall right into place. After you get past that part, you will probably kick yourself for not trying it sooner.

Good luck, let me know how things go :)

The first time I ever tried cvsWrapper I used CVS, I didn't understand how to use it so I gave up. I now use SVN, although I'm no expert at it, it does what I need and is quite easy to use.

@TheCuz: Thank you very much for the input!

@big_Daddy: Did you need your experience with CVS before to move to SVN, or would you recommend starting out with SVN? Or would you think either one had the same noob learning curve as the other?

Thanks again for taking the time to give me input on this.

Valuater's AutoIt 1-2-3, Class... Is now in Session!For those who want somebody to write the script for them: RentACoder"Any technology distinguishable from magic is insufficiently advanced." -- Geek's corollary to Clarke's law

• Developers

@Jos: Is SVN only for the mighty inhabitants of Olympus, like yourself, or would it be a good place to start out with such things?

Nah... its a pretty common thing to have some sort of versioning option when developing any type of program/script. The nice thing about SVN/CVS is that you easily can check the differences between versions and can backout changes you made.

It looks all complicated in the beginning but when you use the cvsWrapper, its pretty simple to start since it creates the local Repository for you and away you go.

There is not that much difference between SVN and CVS. The manual setup is somewhat different but after that its pretty much te same.

I like SVN better due to the options but use them both depending what software I work on and what the base repository is setup with.

Edited by Jos

SciTE4AutoIt3 Full installer Download page   - Beta files       Read before posting     How to post scriptsource   Forum etiquette  Forum Rules 

Live for the present,
Dream of the future,
Learn from the past.

Nah... its a pretty common thing to have some sort of versioning option when developing any type of program/script. The nice thing about SVN/CVS is that you easily can check the differences between versions and can backout changes you made.

It looks all complicated in the beginning but when you use the cvsWrapper, its pretty simple to start since it creates the local Repository for you and away you go.

There is not that much difference between SVN and CVS. The manual setup is somewhat different but after that its pretty much te same.

I like SVN better due to the options but use them both depending what software I work on and what the base repository is setup with.

Thanks for the input.

I've done some more googling on it, and I think I'm going to run with CVS to start out. Everybody makes it sound like no big deal to go from that to SVN if something drives me to it. The feature set seems to differ mostly in things that don't apply to me as a single coder (no group projects). The only big distinction I found was that CVS uses a regular file system tree for it's repository, and SVN uses an instance of a relational database. The file system sounds like it would be easier to maintain and recover from screw ups (which I expect, knowing me) than the SVN DB.

I'll quit hijacking this thread and start a new one if I need more help (fairly likely).

That's alright, it deals with a topic of interest. There may be other people who have wondered about using a version control system and this may be a start for them.

Personally, I think anyone who is serious about programming, should also learn how to use a version control system. It is part of the process in making a program and having reasonable control over the changes being made, and also being able to easily see how it has evolved and keep track of the changes made. Otherwise you run into the mess of having hundreds of different versions of the same script, but with different name and no real easy way of documenting those changes between each script.

Organization is a very important part of the program creation process, from the idea to the final product.

• Developers

Thanks for the input.

I've done some more googling on it, and I think I'm going to run with CVS to start out. Everybody makes it sound like no big deal to go from that to SVN if something drives me to it. The feature set seems to differ mostly in things that don't apply to me as a single coder (no group projects). The only big distinction I found was that CVS uses a regular file system tree for it's repository, and SVN uses an instance of a relational database. The file system sounds like it would be easier to maintain and recover from screw ups (which I expect, knowing me) than the SVN DB.

I'll quit hijacking this thread and start a new one if I need more help (fairly likely).

One thing tho: Switching to SVN is not that easy when you want to convert the history from CVS to SVN. I remember I had to do some tweaking of a script posted by somebody to get that working and wasn't trivial.

Live for the present,
Dream of the future,
Learn from the past.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Jos,

Sorry for the long delay before sending a reply, but the new CVSWrapper installer that you made works good for me know.

Thanks for the effort!! :)