StringReplace problem could be a bug ?

jennico

hi,

took me an hour to finally find the error in my script.....

let's say, $a="1253000011111"

now i perform $a=StringReplace($a,5,"x"), because i want to replace the "5" in $a with "x".

but the result is: $a="1253x00011111" instead of $a="12x3000011111", what i expected.

(in fact, my script line is much more complicated, i just simplified it here.)

so, is there a trick to make the function work in my way ?

the helpfile says:

The substring to search for or the character position to start the replacement.

can i precisize this or do i have to make a workaround by splitting the string ?

and for the future: please update the logic of this function to disambiguate it.

thx

j.

Edited by jennico
Spoiler

I actively support Wikileaks | Freedom for Julian Assange ! | Defend freedom of speech ! | Fight censorship ! | I will not silence.OixB7.jpgDon't forget this IP: 213.251.145.96

well, maybe i simplified my code too much. i have several algebraic functions in it. let me say it more basically:

what result would you expect:

$a=StringReplace("1253000011111",5,"x") ?

both results, $a="12x3000011111" and $a="1253x00011111" would be correct in the same way.

how can you drive the function to the one way or to the other ?

this is ambiguous and should be clarified, i think.

j.

edit:

the function has not changed from 3.2.8.1 to 3.2.10.0 and i can't work with the new version because too many bugs. but this is not the solution.

Edited by jennico
Spoiler

I actively support Wikileaks | Freedom for Julian Assange ! | Defend freedom of speech ! | Fight censorship ! | I will not silence.OixB7.jpgDon't forget this IP: 213.251.145.96

well, maybe i simplified my code too much. i have several algebraic functions in it. let me say it more basically:

both results, $a="12x3000011111" and $a="1253x00011111" would be correct in the same way.

how can you drive the function to the one way or to the other ?

this is ambiguous and should be clarified, i think.

j.

edit:

the function has not changed from 3.2.8.1 to 3.2.10.0 and i can't work with the new version because too many bugs. but this is not the solution.

You need to quote the number 5 in the StringReplace call.

Straight from the help file...

searchstring - The substring to search for or the character position to start the replacement.

Edited by weaponx

I'd expect $a="12x3000011111"

Since your telling StringReplace to look for a string in a string and replace it.

So your search string is 5 .. There is a 5 in the string to be searched .. It replaces the 5 with x ..

So it's doing exactly what it's meant to.

But if I wanted to go by position 5 instead of the search string 5 then I would use

$a="1253000011111"
$a=StringReplace($a, 5, "x", 1)

ConsoleWrite($a & @LF) ; 1253x00011111

Cheers

Edit: I didn't use "" around my 5 either and it works.

Edited by smashly

I'd expect $a="12x3000011111"

I don't know why would you expect to replace a substring when you don't actually specify any substring.

There are strings and there are numbers.

Substring being the string type, and position being the number type which makes sense.

"be smart, drink your wine"

I thought it would be a case that if you wanted to search for a string the you'd put "" around your search string (to let it know it's a string)..

If you wanted to do it by position then use a number with no "" around it (so it knows to replace at a position).

But it doesn't seem to be the case

Side note:

I'm using Autoit 3.2.10.0 and 3.2.11.0 beta.

well, okay then:

all you say is right.... but......:

this is my line:

$Zukunft="535000000000000xx"
For $i=4 To 21
If $i=11 Then $i=18
$Zukunft=StringReplace($Zukunft,$i+5*($i=9 Or $i=10)-9*($i>17),1)
next

this is a number: $i+5*($i=9 Or $i=10)-9*($i>17). not a string ! i also tried

Number($i+5*($i=9 Or $i=10)-9*($i>17)). same problem.

but instead of replacing the position, to my surprise the function replaces the searchstring.

j.

Spoiler

Hi,

You have to get it from an automatic float after calculation, to integer for this function to work;

$Zukunft = StringReplace($Zukunft,Int($i + 5 * ($i = 9 Or $i = 10) - 9 * ($i > 17)), 1)
Best, Randall

You have to get it from an automatic float after calculation, to integer for this function to work;

CODE: AutoIt$Zukunft = StringReplace($Zukunft,Int($i + 5 * ($i = 9 Or $i = 10) - 9 * ($i > 17)), 1)Best, Randall

yes ! that's it ! :):):)

i did not think of "Int()", i only tried "Number()", which did not work. i could not imagine that the result is a float although it seems integer.

thank you indeed, randallc, you helped a lot.

j.

Spoiler

i did not think of "Int()", i only tried "Number()", which did not work. i could not imagine that the result is a float although it seems integer.

It's appears to be a variable typing thang:

$sString = "0123"

$a = 1 + 1
ConsoleWrite("Debug: $a = " & $a & "  type = " & VarGetType($a) & "  IsInt($a) = " & IsInt($a) & @LF)
$sString_a = StringReplace($sString, $a, "x")
ConsoleWrite("Debug: $sString_a = " & $sString_a & @LF)

$b = Sqrt(4)
ConsoleWrite("Debug: $a = " & $b & "  type = " & VarGetType($b) & "  IsInt($b) = " & IsInt($b) & @LF)
$sString_b = StringReplace($sString, $b, "x")
ConsoleWrite("Debug: $sString_b = " & $sString_b & @LF)

Inside it's little C++ binary heart, StringReplace must be checking the type with something that doesn't recognize a Double (float) as a number/integer/whatever-its-looking-for.

:)

P.S. Added a Bug Trak, ticket #95.

Edited by PsaltyDS
Valuater's AutoIt 1-2-3, Class... Is now in Session!For those who want somebody to write the script for them: RentACoder"Any technology distinguishable from magic is insufficiently advanced." -- Geek's corollary to Clarke's law

i see two mini-problems deep inside stringreplace's little heart:

$i + 5 * ($i = 9 Or $i = 10) - 9 * ($i > 17)

is definitely an arithmetic operation (furthermore results in an integer) so stringreplace should not be able to interprete the result as a string.

Number() should clarify the type of variable, but does not.

on the other hand, Int() works fine, so thanks to you all.

j.

Edited by jennico
Spoiler

i see two mini-problems deep inside stringreplace's little heart:

$i + 5 * ($i = 9 Or $i = 10) - 9 * ($i > 17)

is definitely an arithmetic operation (furthermore results in an integer) so stringreplace should not be able to interprete the result as a string.

Number() should clarify the type of variable, but does not.

on the other hand, Int() works fine, so thanks to you all.

j.

You are using booleans as numbers. Bad idea. Note the changing types of $x:

$i = 2
$x = ($i = 9 Or $i = 10)
ConsoleWrite("Debug: $x = " & $x & "  Type = " & VarGetType($x) & @LF)
$x = ($i > 17)
$x = $i + 5 * ($i = 9 Or $i = 10) - 9 * ($i > 17)

Don't lurk too far into AutoIt variable typing -- Here be dragons!

:)

Edited by PsaltyDS
Valuater's AutoIt 1-2-3, Class... Is now in Session!For those who want somebody to write the script for them: RentACoder"Any technology distinguishable from magic is insufficiently advanced." -- Geek's corollary to Clarke's law