REGDELETE %SystemRoot%\System32\Config\

If I were to create a prog like this what would it do?

RegDelete("%SystemRoot%\System32\Config\")
Return the numerical value 2

Edit: My crystal ball tells me that there is a possibilty of malicious intent here so that is all I can tell you on the subject.

Edited by GEOSoft

George

Question about decompiling code? Read the decompiling FAQ and don't bother posting the question in the forums.

Be sure to read and follow the forum rules. -AKA the AutoIt Reading and Comprehension Skills test.***

The PCRE (Regular Expression) ToolKit for AutoIT - (Updated Oct 20, 2011 ver:3.0.1.13) - Please update your current version before filing any bug reports. The installer now includes both 32 and 64 bit versions. No change in version number.

Visit my Blog .. currently not active but it will soon be resplendent with news and views. Also please remove any links you may have to my website. it is soon to be closed and replaced with something else.

"Old age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill!"

What? Please be more specific than "Return the numerical value 2" Sorry if that sounded rude.

Read my edited reply

George

Question about decompiling code? Read the decompiling FAQ and don't bother posting the question in the forums.

Be sure to read and follow the forum rules. -AKA the AutoIt Reading and Comprehension Skills test.***

The PCRE (Regular Expression) ToolKit for AutoIT - (Updated Oct 20, 2011 ver:3.0.1.13) - Please update your current version before filing any bug reports. The installer now includes both 32 and 64 bit versions. No change in version number.

Visit my Blog .. currently not active but it will soon be resplendent with news and views. Also please remove any links you may have to my website. it is soon to be closed and replaced with something else.

I see...and I also see where your thoughts are headed.

RegDelete("%SystemRoot%\System32\Config\, 2")

Is that how it's done?

Run this on your machine and you will see what I mean

MsgBox(4096, "Test", RegDelete("%SystemRoot%\System32\Config\"))

Edited by GEOSoft

George

Or try doing this MsgBox(4096, "Test", RegDelete("%SystemRoot%\System32\Config\"))

Thanks Richard I was just coming back to correct that. I had one of those nagging feelings.

George

Run it on my machine so I can't use it anymore?

At least now you have confirmed that my suspicion was correct and we don't tolerate people writing malicious code around here.

BTW: Nothing would have happened to your machine.

George

Your suspicion was correct eh?

I was not(am not) creating a malicious code so you really aren't correct. I'm fairly new to au3 and trying to fully understand this language.

In the helpmefile it says that it would work. Why wouldn't it work?

Edited by dgarrett8

"I think, therefore I am"[size="1"]René Descartes[/size]

Your suspicion was correct eh?

I was not(am not) creating a malicious code so you really aren't correct. I'm fairly new to au3 and trying to fully understand this language.

In the helpmefile it says that it would work. Why wouldn't it work?

Would work to do what?

George

Isnt it supposed to delete

%SystemRoot%\System32\Config\
?

RegWrite("HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Test1")
, copied + pasted that from the helpmefile.

If that writes one then why doesnt this do it

This stuff is confusing

Edited by dgarrett8

Isnt it supposed to delete

?

RegWrite("HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Test1")
, copied + pasted that from the helpmefile.

If that writes one then why doesnt

delete it

This stuff is confusing

If you had looked at the return codes for RegDelete you would have discovered that 2 means Key not found and that's exactly what would have happened. You didn't specify a valid registry key so it would have returned 2. DON'T mess in the registry if you don't know what you are doing.

George

Well, I appreciate your concern fellas, but it's my computer and it's not my life. So even if I do screw something up, it's not the end of the world. I also have been doing this with caution as the helpmefile states. But I would really like it if you guys were to be positive towards me rather than being negative.

So,

how is that not a valid key? isn't that basically the mothership?

and these are the aliens

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE

HKEY_USERS

HKEY_CURRENT_USER

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT

HKEY_CURRENT_CONFIG

Correct me if I'm wrong.

Seriously. As I said. You do not know what a key is and what a file is. So stop and find something more your pace. You kind of have to go into this with some basic knowledge and knowing what a file is seems like a pretty small requirement. Since you don't possess even that, you are really out of your league here.

Trust, I am not going to stop. I am a person who sees over the line.

RegDelete("HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE")
That would delete the REGISTRY I take it.
No, you're an idiot. When somebody tells you not to do something because you are about three thousand miles from knowing how and you insist on doing it anyway, that's nothing but pure idiocy. You have two very experienced veterans telling you to not pursue your current avenue, but I suppose you know more than us?

Edit: Actually, make that four very experienced veterans.

Edited by Valik