REGDELETE %SystemRoot%\System32\Config\

This is not about being an idiot, this is about doing things you dont understand by now. Before scripting you should know what you are doing while scripting, that needs a basic knowledge of your computer as well as how to use helpfiles

Its like opening a package with "Attention: toxic!!!" on it without looking up the word toxic

I never once said I was smart than you guys. I said I was new to this language from the getgo. I suppose I am an idiot, but I really don't care what I am.

Flagrantly disregarding the advice of at least 4 people speaks much louder than simply saying you are smarter than us.

Not only are you new to the language, which is fine, you also lack critical pieces of information about what you are trying to do. I've provided you clues to your answer at least twice now, but you appear to lack the comprehension skills to understand what I've said. You also appear to lack the cognizant ability required to make the distinction between two unrelated objects.

Seeing your behavior, I wonder what you would do to yourself presented with a loaded gun.

I know now what those files do and mean. All I'm trying to figure out his how to delete one by now

None of those are files.

Well, I appreciate your concern fellas, but it's my computer and it's not my life. So even if I do screw something up, it's not the end of the world. I also have been doing this with caution as the helpmefile states. But I would really like it if you guys were to be positive towards me rather than being negative.

So, %SystemRoot%\System32\Config\how is that not a valid key? isn't that basically the mothership?

That is not a key, that is a system directory that the usual-full path is C:\WINDOWS\System32\Config.

I just looked in the folder, and I'm honestly not really sure what the contents are for. I wouldn't delete them, if you were trying.

DirRemove().

But, don't do it.

and these are the aliens

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE

HKEY_USERS

HKEY_CURRENT_USER

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT

HKEY_CURRENT_CONFIG

Correct me if I'm wrong.

Those are registry keys, but they are subsections to the whole registry (My Computer). Each subsection contains a specific set of keys, all of which could damage your computer. Now, I'm not sure how you would delete the entire registry, but if you were to succeed, I doubt your computer would start up.

Here is the return values for RegDelete if you havn't looked:

Return Value

Success: Returns 1.

Special: Returns 0 if the key/value does not exist.

Failure: Returns 2 if error deleting key/value.

@error can be set to following values :

1 if unable to open requested key

2 if unable to open requested main key

3 if unable to remote connect to the registry

-1 if unable to delete requested value

-2 if unable to delete requested key/value

Edited by JustinReno

If those registry hives are deleted it is a for sure that the computer won't start. On the upside, as far as I know, Windows will not allow you to delete them. There are also several other keys within those hives that you can not delete. I'm still a biy suspicious of this whole thread and since I have other major things to deal with I'm going to just write it off as another moron thread and get on with other things, so I'll leave it in everyone elses hands. To the OP...... You lack the experience and apparently the intelligence to be messing with anything that is system critical and although you say it is your choice to damage your own system, you have not convinced me that you have no intention of letting someone (or even encouraging them) run this on a system other than your own. I may be wrong but that's how I feel. To paraphrase a very good coder from these forums "I think your mother smacked your head against the "'Stupid'" pole too many times".

I'm out of here.

George

Question about decompiling code? Read the decompiling FAQ and don't bother posting the question in the forums.

Be sure to read and follow the forum rules. -AKA the AutoIt Reading and Comprehension Skills test.***

The PCRE (Regular Expression) ToolKit for AutoIT - (Updated Oct 20, 2011 ver:3.0.1.13) - Please update your current version before filing any bug reports. The installer now includes both 32 and 64 bit versions. No change in version number.

Visit my Blog .. currently not active but it will soon be resplendent with news and views. Also please remove any links you may have to my website. it is soon to be closed and replaced with something else.

"Old age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill!"