Plugins? SunAWT support

I wanted to use AutoIT to move data from an older version of an application to a new one. The old one is standard Windows, entirely accessible with AutoIT. The new version is, according to AutoIT Spy, apparently written in Java: It uses a SunAWT class for its windows. That makes access to its buttons and fields opaque.

This is motivated by the developer -- actually a major financial vendor to the retail marketplace -- being totally obnoxious about user support. When asked how to fix certain law changes in the older version they said buy and upgrade to the new version. I did. However the new version has *no* capability of importing information from the old version or opening files produced by the old version.

When asked about this, the developer's answer was there is no data transfer support in the new version. They offered to give my money back, or some portion of it.

I thought it might be useful to write a script to do the transfer and put it out there on sourceforge.net or something.

However, this SunAWT thing has me stymied.

Suggestions anyone?

Suggestions anyone?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Demand your money back.

It appears the developer does not take the product seriously. If the application's requirements change with the laws, it should be upgradable and have backwards compatibility as a matter of course.

Cut your losses: See if there is another product (developed by another company) you can use instead. If there are no serious alternatives, let us know what it is you require (I smell a business opportunity here :) ).

Ignorance is strength.

Demand your money back.

It appears the developer does not take the product seriously. If the application's requirements change with the laws, it should be upgradable and have backwards compatibility as a matter of course.

Cut your losses: See if there is another product (developed by another company) you can use instead. If there are no serious alternatives, let us know what it is you require (I smell a business opportunity here  :idiot: ).

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hi Henrik!

Actually, after thinking on it, I wondered if there might not be a way. Even if parts of a window aren't accessible from AutoIt, shouldn't it be possible to send keystrokes at it? I will do a test later today.

On your other notion, a business opportunity, yes, there might be one in two senses, a replacement, or if a manageable way of moving data in between were devised, that might be worth something.

Don't want to identify the culprit in public, but feel free to contact me, jtgalkowski-at-alum.mit.edu.

Thanks.

• 4 years later...

Out of all seriousness, I am a mere pawn in a national (USA) insurance company that uses a java application that also deals in SunAwt-type windows. There is seriously no way to get this to work in any more depth than just doing MouseClick's at certain coordinates?

I hope this is not the case as I will be working primarily with this application and it would make my life 100% easier if I could read the blank in the window or even recognize the window at all (errors that pop up during some of my MouseClick processes are SunAwt and WinExist does not know they are there) and the script gets all fouled up.

I've crossed my fingers and toes hoping someone out there knows how to get this going. I have read as many Java posts as I could find and found the Java.au3 user-script, but there is not much in the line of doc on how to use it (nothing like ImageSearch does).

Any help would be much appreciated!

DM

dm83737,

The simplest method is to either use the mouse or keystrokes. I would personally recommend keystrokes. Unfortunately if an error pops up, you probably wont know about it.

@disney

I like the idea of a possible business proposition...email on it's way.

Regards,

Jarvis

AutoIt Links

File-String Hash Plugin Updated! 04-02-2008 Plugins have been discontinued. I just found out.

ComputerGetInfo UDF's Updated! 11-23-2006

External Links

Vortex Revolutions Engineer / Inventor (Web, Desktop, and Mobile Applications, Hardware Gizmos, Consulting, and more)

dm83737,

The simplest method is to either use the mouse or keystrokes. I would personally recommend keystrokes. Unfortunately if an error pops up, you probably wont know about it.

Funny you should say that because that's my issue right now. I can run a script that gets statement amounts on several fields just fine through mouseclicks and copying and pasting to a notepad .txt file. But there are some account types that cause a pop-up error to appear that freezes everything up, and is not recognized with a WinExist command as it is a SunAwt window. There are also other procedures that would require AutoIT to scroll the window either vertically or horizontally and it can not due to the window being SunAwt. So someday I hope something comes through and makes these types workable as it would greatly streamline a lot more procedures on my end.

Edited by dm83737

*GERMAN* [note: you are not allowed to remove author / modified info from my UDFs]My UDFs:[_SetImageBinaryToCtrl] [_TaskDialog] [AutoItObject] [Animated GIF (GDI+)] [ClipPut for Image] [FreeImage] [GDI32 UDFs] [GDIPlus Progressbar] [Hotkey-Selector] [Multiline Inputbox] [MySQL without ODBC] [RichEdit UDFs] [SpeechAPI Example] [WinHTTP]UDFs included in AutoIt: FTP_Ex (as FTPEx), _WinAPI_SetLayeredWindowAttributes