FileOpenDialog always defaults to List View

FileOpenDialog help doesn't show any parameter to change the view of the explorer window that opens with FileOpenDialog to anything other than (the default) List View. Should I presume that there is indeed no way to change this behavior? I would like the explorer window to default to Thumbnails. Thank you.

FileOpenDialog help doesn't show any parameter to change the view of the explorer window that opens with FileOpenDialog to anything other than (the default) List View. Should I presume that there is indeed no way to change this behavior? I would like the explorer window to default to Thumbnails. Thank you.

No need to have an option for thumbnails in FileOpenDialog, run the example and browse to a folder that has pictures in it and you'll see why at least on XP anyways.

SciTE for AutoItDirections for Submitting Standard UDFs

Don't argue with an idiot; people watching may not be able to tell the difference.

No need to have an option for thumbnails in FileOpenDialog, run the example and browse to a folder that has pictures in it and you'll see why at least on XP anyways.

I tested this one line...
FileOpenDialog("test", "c:\temp\1\", "Images (*.jpg;*.bmp)", 1 + 4 )
...on 5 XP SP2 computers - all using the Windows classic theme - only one showed the thumbnails.

Also tested on one W2K - got the detailed view.

All 6 systems would show the thumbnails if that was manually selected. The test folder contained only JPGs. Looking at the properties of that test folder, XP had automatically selected the "Photo Album (best for fewer files)" folder type under the Customize tab. There were 16 JPGs in that test folder.

I tested the line of code above using the same JPGs as well as ones already on the computers - same results. On the one XP system that did show thumbnails, it seemed to decide to do so based on the number of JPGs vs. other none picture folders/files - as there were some folders that I could navigate to that showed a few JPGs in the detail view - navigating back to a folder mostly filled with JPGs brought the thumbnail view back.

I have no idea of what I could have set on these XP systems to cause that difference in views. I tried to change several settings under folder options. I read several Google results for similar issues and found no reason for the delta.

If such a parameter could be added to the FileOpenDialog, it might prove helpful to those that want to force a particular view.

...maybe this thread belongs in feature requests...

[size="1"][font="Arial"].[u].[/u][/font][/size]

I have no idea of what I could have set on these XP systems to cause that difference in views. I tried to change several settings under folder options. I read several Google results for similar issues and found no reason for the delta.

If you ever figure it out, let me know. I'm constantly annoyed by XP's estimation of folder type. I've had it interpret my music folder as a photo album on occasion (a folder with 1000+ mp3's and 20 jpg's, and it says it's a photo album? wtf..)

If such a parameter could be added to the FileOpenDialog, it might prove helpful to those that want to force a particular view.

...maybe this thread belongs in feature requests...

Need to look up the MSDN docs for the functions that FileOpenDialog uses. I wouldn't be surprised if the function doesn't even have parameters for that kind of thing.

*Edit: Somewhere to start: http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/m...927(VS.85).aspx

I'm reading it myself right now.

Edited by Saunders