Need GUI..I have no prog experience..Suggestions?

wowmarkb

The big picture- As a minimum, I want a GUI with 11 buttons that runs 9 bat files and 2 Autoit scripts that I have, that works in Win98/ME/2000/XP/Vista. When user clicks a button in the GUI, a window opens. When user is done with the window, he closes the window. When user is done with the GUI, he clicks the "X" to close the GUI. Simple, right?

My dream: Have a GUI with 11 buttons that is fully contained (compiled?) into one file that runs on any Win98/ME/2000/XP/Vista PC "as is" (in other words, user doesn't need additional programs or files to use the GUI, just whatever a "barebones" Windows machine has on it) and that I can sell for profit.

I have read FAQs and looked at other people's scripts that I have found on the web and cannot find what I need to make a working GUI with the functons I need (click button, run this bat file or script). (Like most newbies, I have tried to paste code from scripts I found and get nothing but errors.)

"It's in the FAQ's/Help files". Yes, they show lists and lists of commands but, what is the syntax for using these commands? How do you learn how to use them? (There is no book out there I have found on Autoit or step by step instructions for what I need.)

I started out trying to learn C# by myself but, thought Autoit would be easier. So far, trying to learn either one is driving me to drink- even more!! Ha! :)

Example: I did find a script on how to to run "ipconfig" in Autoit but, "IPAddress1" retuns a "127.0.01" or "IPAddress2" retuns a "0.0.0.0" when the ethernet cable is unplugged on my WinXP SP2 machine. Yet, when I run a batch file from the Windows run window, it correctly gives "Media Disconnected" in the opened command (DOS) window. So, I would rather run the bat file.

Another Example: I have a script to open the Internet Options window- but how do you make it open and go right to LAN Settings section? (Normally, in Internet Explorer, you click "Tools", then "Internet Options", then click "Connections" tab then, LAN Settings" button. I want it to open right up to "LAN Settings".

Another Example: "Hello world" (sample script below). OK, a GUI opens then, closes. How do you make it so that the GUI stays open until you click the "OK" button? This is so simple but, the answer escapes me. (I have combed the web for "autoit wait to click ok", "close on click OK button", "waitonclick"- I mean every variation that I could think of and nowhere have I found the answer.)

-------"Hello world"-------

#include <GUIConstants.au3>

GUICreate("Hello World", 200, 100)

GUISetState(@SW_SHOW)

Sleep(2000)

#include <GUIConstants.au3>

GUICreate("Hello World", 200, 100)

GUICtrlCreateLabel("Hello world! How are you?", 30, 10)

GUICtrlCreateButton("OK", 70, 50, 60)

GUISetState(@SW_SHOW)

Sleep(2000)

-------

I kinda want to create this GUI myself but, do not want to spend months trying to learn scripting/codes. I could get someone else to write the script/code but, don't have much money. How much would it cost to have someone write the script/code?

Any suggestions??

Thanks,

MarkB

For a beginner, you can press Alt+m while in the AutoIt (SciTE) editor to open up the Koda Form Designer. From there, you can design your form, adding buttons, editing their data, etc. Additionally, it lets you generate code.

A While loop will let you keep the GUI open, and, aswell in that loop, you can have some Case statements to depict what each button will do.

Best way to learn is to read, reasearch and learn from the info we have given you, and then try do a simple example to get advice...

Trying to learn a programming language parrot fashion will only be a lot harder than trying to teach yourself, but with the advice from a lot of guys here that will guide you it will become easier...

Good luck

Also, just play around. If you want to do something, have a look in the helpfile. Have a look at the _GUICtrl_* functions. If you need help, search the forum, and if nothing prevails, post a question :)