should i release?

Hey, been working on a network management utility that uses microsoft's PsTools programs to remotely manage a network.

I really want to release it but it could be used for malicious reasons so i dont know if i should/ am allowed.

If i can get mod/admin approval i will release it(still currently in the works)

Thanks

Hey, been working on a network management utility that uses microsoft's PsTools programs to remotely manage a network.

I really want to release it but it could be used for malicious reasons so i dont know if i should/ am allowed.

If i can get mod/admin approval i will release it(still currently in the works)

Thanks

Release it compiled, add a disclaimer... :)

I personally would LOVE to see it, but you are right with the reasons not to... :)

Edited by Bert

As there is NO "Security through Obscurity" in my personal opinion you should release it, but I know that many other admins will tell you exactly the oposite.

The risk of abuse (kiddies or "real" black hats) is the one side.

The other side are the positive effects for admins to ease their dayly work and to improve their knowledge.

Well arranged networks (patches and security assignments) are pretty safe, and PSTOOLS and other tools are out there anyways - no matter if there are GUI addons or not.

... but it could be used for malicious reasons ...

ABused...

Think about all the things that can be abused in our world. If you would take away anything that could be abused, you would have to take away almost all tools :) and then you will have to cut your bread with a spoon :)

So basically it's up to you to decide ...

Regards, Rudi.

Edited by rudi

Earth is flat, pigs can fly, and Nuclear Power is SAFE!

• Developers

Don't understamd why it could be used for malicious reasons ... as far as I know you do require Admin access to the remore box to be able to use the PSTools....

Jos

SciTE4AutoIt3 Full installer Download page   - Beta files       Read before posting     How to post scriptsource   Forum etiquette  Forum Rules 

Live for the present,
Dream of the future,
Learn from the past.
  :)

Tell me, what you can do with it and I show you 10 other tools with the same stuff.

Scripts & functions Organize Includes Let Scite organize the include files

Yahtzee The game "Yahtzee" (Kniffel, DiceLion)

LoginWrapper Secure scripts by adding a query (authentication)

_RunOnlyOnThis UDF Make sure that a script can only be executed on ... (Windows / HD / ...)

Internet-Café Server/Client Application Open CD, Start Browser, Lock remote client, etc.

MultipleFuncsWithOneHotkey Start different funcs by hitting one hotkey different times

Why do you think anyone able to read your script should not be able to work out usage of PsTools themselves?

Especially if they have malicious intent.

Did you add something really unique and special, or did you wrap a GUI around PsTools?

Yeah...I'd say release it as an .exe..and only let the people with like join dates over a year see the source...or something...It actually sounds very nice...I probably wont use it on a daily bases, but I would like to check it out!

all i did is wrap a gui around pstools.

I know people could just figure out the pstools commands themselves, the only reason why i ask this is because malicious code is against the ToS here.

I will release the EXE in Example tools when its finished, Swift i like your idea of giving source to people that have been here awhile.

In the meantime here is a very early development screenshot with some information about the layout.

Posted Image

• Developers

a wrapper of PStools cannot be considered malicious thus I see no problem posting the source . :)

SciTE4AutoIt3 Full installer Download page   - Beta files       Read before posting     How to post scriptsource   Forum etiquette  Forum Rules 

Live for the present,
Dream of the future,
Learn from the past.
  :)