_INetSmtpMail help

muhmuuh

Hello, autoit fans!

I'm on a quest to make a simple email sender program and I found this function and all looks easy except the smtp server. What is supposed to be put here? I searched the forum for similar topics but I got confused even more. Can you please give me an example of a smtp server and is there a list of smtp server? Thank you

I ran. I ran until my muscles burned and my veins pumped battery acid. Then I ran some more.

Ones SMTP server is the outgoing mail address - I went to

Microsoft Outlook > Tools menu > E-mail Accounts > View or change existing e-mail accounts > Change button

and I found this:

mailhost.worldnet.att.net

and for incoming mail I found this:

postoffice.worldnet.att.net

There might be a way to programmatically find ones outgoing email address - ones SMTP - if one has a default email client, for instance.

Das Häschen benutzt Radar

Hello, autoit fans!

I'm on a quest to make a simple email sender program and I found this function and all looks easy except the smtp server. What is supposed to be put here? I searched the forum for similar topics but I got confused even more. Can you please give me an example of a smtp server and is there a list of smtp server? Thank you

Your SMTP server is the server you send mail out through. While on most networks it will be defined by the service you use, some networks - ISP's in particular - prohibit SMTP traffic through any server other than theirs.

If you go to your mail provider's Help pages, they will usually tell you what THEIR SMTP server is - for example Yahoo's is smtp.mail.yahoo.com, and Gmail's is smtp.gmail.com. As you can see, there's no set naming convention!

HOWEVER, my ISP (RCN) prohibits any traffic through Ports 25 and 465 or 587 (the ports SMTP servers listen to - ports 465 and 587 is for secure STARTTLS {SSL} connections) except through their servers, so if I'm configuring an email app (or if I have to specifiy an SMTP server for a function in AutoIt), I can only use smtp.rcn.com. The reason they do this is to control Spam Zombies. They can monitor their server, and if they see a flood of email going through, they can quickly and easily stop it.

So to answer your question, YOU'LL have to find the answer!

Edited by JerryD