Break down a string

glasglow

Would you happen to know where I can start. I have a script that reads the text in documents, however I would like to take that text and break it down into smaller units. For example:

This is the example sentence I want to break down into chunks of say 3 words.

Would be broken down into this:

This is the

example sentence I

want to break

down into chunks

of say 3

words

Where it would take the input text and break it down into smaller units line by line. Is something like that possible? I will be using the program for a research project I call the Anna. Anna is Associated Noun Negative Association...ideas existing or not existing between two people.

Would you happen to know where I can start. I have a script that reads the text in documents, however I would like to take that text and break it down into smaller units. For example:

This is the example sentence I want to break down into chunks of say 3 words.

Would be broken down into this:

This is the

example sentence I

want to break

down into chunks

of say 3

words

Where it would take the input text and break it down into smaller units line by line. Is something like that possible? I will be using the program for a research project I call the Anna. Anna is Associated Noun Negative Association...ideas existing or not existing between two people.

You can probably use StringSplit using whitespace as the delimiter which would return each word stored in the string into an array. Then you can separate the array into 3s. Start there.

My Projects: [topic="89413"]GoogleHack Search[/topic], [topic="67095"]Swiss File Knife GUI[/topic], [topic="69072"]Mouse Location Pointer[/topic], [topic="86040"]Standard Deviation Calculator[/topic]

After a long headache of fiddling, i figured out a solution.

I think im looping the long way, but w/e. It is now a UDF that can strip any sting based on words.

#include <Array.au3>

$String = "This is the example sentence I want to break down into chunks of say 3 words"
$Count = 3
$answer = SplitByWord($String, $Count)
_ArrayDisplay($Answer)

Func SplitByWord($String, $Split)
$words = StringSplit($String," ")
Dim $Array[Ceiling($words[0]/$Split)+1]
ReDim $Words[Ubound($Words)+2]
For $i = 1 to Ceiling($words[0]/$Split)
    $array[$i] = ""
    For $add = 1 to $Split
    $array[$i]&=$Words[($i*$Split)-$Split+$add]&" "
    Next
    $array[$i] = StringTrimRight($array[$i],1)
Next
Return $array
EndFunc
Edited by Paulie

After a long headache of fiddling, i figured out a solution.

I think im looping the long way, but w/e. It is now a UDF that can strip any sting based on words.

#include <Array.au3>

$String = "This is the example sentence I want to break down into chunks of say 3 words"
$Count = 3
$answer = SplitByWord($String, $Count)
_ArrayDisplay($Answer)

Func SplitByWord($String, $Split)
$words = StringSplit($String," ")
Dim $Array[Ceiling($words[0]/$Split)+1]
ReDim $Words[Ubound($Words)+2]
For $i = 1 to Ceiling($words[0]/$Split)
    $array[$i] = ""
    For $add = 1 to $Split
    $array[$i]&=$Words[($i*$Split)-$Split+$add]&" "
    Next
    $array[$i] = StringTrimRight($array[$i],1)
Next
Return $array
EndFuncoÝ÷ Ûú®¢×zajÝý²Ø^àÁ¬¯+aȧ²×u«­¢+ØÀÌØíÍÑÉ¥¹ôÅÕ½ÐíQ¡¥Ì¥ÌÑ¡áµÁ±Í¹Ñ¹$ݹÐѼɬ½Ý¸¥¹Ñ¼¡Õ¹­Ì½ÍäÌݽÉÌÅÕ½Ðì(ÀÌØí½Õ¹ÐôÌ(ÀÌØí¹ÍÝÈôMÑÉ¥¹MÁ±¥Ð ÀÌØíÍÑÉ¥¹°ÅÕ½ÐìÅÕ½Ðì¤(ÀÌØíµàôÀÌØí¹ÍÝÉlÁt)¥´ÀÌØí¹ÝÍÑÉ¥¹ôÅÕ½ÐìÅÕ½Ðì()½ÈÀÌØí¤ôÄѼÀÌØíµà(%%ÀÌØí¤ôÀÌØí½Õ¹Ð¬ÄQ¡¸($$ÀÌØí¹ÝÍÑÉ¥¹ôÀÌØí¹ÝÍÑÉ¥¹µÀì
I1µÀìÀÌØí¹ÍÝÉlÀÌØí¥tµÀìÅÕ½ÐìÅÕ½Ðì($$ÀÌØí½Õ¹ÐôÀÌØí½Õ¹Ð¬Ì(%±Í($$ÀÌØí¹ÝÍÑÉ¥¹ôÀÌØí¹ÝÍÑÉ¥¹µÀìÀÌØí¹ÍÝÉlÀÌØí¥tµÀìÅÕ½ÐìÅÕ½Ðì(%¹%)9áÐ()5Í  ½à À°ÅÕ½Ðí5ä¹ÜÍÑÉ¥¹¥ÌÅհѼèÅÕ½Ðì°ÀÌØí¹ÝÍÑÉ¥¹¤

My Projects: [topic="89413"]GoogleHack Search[/topic], [topic="67095"]Swiss File Knife GUI[/topic], [topic="69072"]Mouse Location Pointer[/topic], [topic="86040"]Standard Deviation Calculator[/topic]

• Moderators

I know this can be done in one line. Regex is kicking my ass though. Should look close to:

MsgBox(0,"",StringRegExpReplace($String,"(\s){3}", @CRLF))

You could probably mold this to do it:

http://www.autoitscript.com/forum/index.ph...st&p=382143

Common sense plays a role in the basics of understanding AutoIt... If you're lacking in that, do us all a favor, and step away from the computer.

Well I know you could use regex to split the sentence into groups of three words, but I thought it would be easier just to replace every third space with a carriage return.

#include<Array.au3>
  $string = "This is the example sentence I want to break down into chunks of say 3 words. Test"
  $re = StringRegExp($string, '((.*?\s+){3})|.*', 3)
  _ArrayDisplay($re)

Edit: Hmmh thought ((.*?\s+){3})|.* should also work but it doesn't

Edited by Xenobiologist

Scripts & functions Organize Includes Let Scite organize the include files

Yahtzee The game "Yahtzee" (Kniffel, DiceLion)

LoginWrapper Secure scripts by adding a query (authentication)

_RunOnlyOnThis UDF Make sure that a script can only be executed on ... (Windows / HD / ...)

Internet-Café Server/Client Application Open CD, Start Browser, Lock remote client, etc.

MultipleFuncsWithOneHotkey Start different funcs by hitting one hotkey different times

#include<Array.au3>
 $string = "This is the example sentence I want to break down into chunks of say 3 words. Test"
 $re = StringRegExp($string, '.*?\s+.*?\s+.*?\s|.*', 3)
 _ArrayDisplay($re)
Not bad. Leaves an empty element at the end of the array but it works.

Not bad. Leaves an empty element at the end of the array but it works.

Okay

#include<Array.au3>
$string = "This is the example sentence I want to break down into chunks of say 3 words."
$re = StringRegExp($string, '(?U).*\s+.*\s+.*\s|.+?', 3)
_ArrayDisplay($re)

_RunOnlyOnThis UDF Make sure that a script can only be executed on ... (Windows / HD / ...)

Internet-Café Server/Client Application Open CD, Start Browser, Lock remote client, etc.

MultipleFuncsWithOneHotkey Start different funcs by hitting one hotkey different times

Works well.

I like this. Nice job.

Okay

#include<Array.au3>
$string = "This is the example sentence I want to break down into chunks of say 3 words."
$re = StringRegExp($string, '(?U).*\s+.*\s+.*\s|.+?', 3)
_ArrayDisplay($re)

Yes that's a good one.. I've never fully understood the capabilities of regex, seems it's about time to get it.

Yes that's a good one.. I've never fully understood the capabilities of regex, seems it's about time to get it.

Yeah! Have fun and if you got some examples then post them. I like to create the right patterns :-)

I like to create the right patterns

I'll quote it forever. There's something satisfying about the stress that comes.. almost have it.. 10 minutes.. 20 minutes.. 4 hours.. 10 hours.. 5am ... WAH.. it worked just like it worked in our mind when we started.