Newbie needing general startup help

JimH

It's been a while since I worked regularly with Dos / Jscript / Vbscript or other scripting languages so I am pretty rusty, and the Autoit concepts are new to me.

I have been prowling around the Forum looking for samples that come close to what I want to do, but little luck so far.

I downloaded the Autoit V3 code to help me set up a fool-proof method so that a group of not-particularly-computer-literate people would be able to perform an automated backup task when closing down a working session on a laptop.

The task involves:

- capturing the current date [MMDDYYYY]

- looking for one or more files (in fixed hard drive folder locations) named YYMMDD.ext

- verifying that removable (flash) thumb drives are present in ports D: and E: (and prompting for user action if necessary)

- copying any YYMMDD.ext files to the D: and E: drives, again in fixed folder locations

- shutting down the laptop

Any pointers to code fragments that I can borrow/steal will be appreciated.

JimH

Doin' the Shift-Click Drag ....

There are many people who can really help you out on the forum. I could write up some simple things for you, definently since you said its hardcoded. But my scripting is "not as good" you can easily say..... So just sit back and wait for some good support. It wont take long at all :idiot:

You can easily do the MMDDYYYY with the macros. Like writing to a file would be like.

FileWrite ("d:/test.txt", @mon & "/" & @Mday & "/" & @year)

Edit: Larry is aways a little faster..

Edited by killaz219

There are many people who can really help you out on the forum. I could write up some simple things for you, definently since you said its hardcoded. But my scripting is "not as good" you can easily say..... So just sit back and wait for some good support. It wont take long at allĀ  :idiot:

You can easily do the MMDDYYYY with the macros. Like writing to a file would be like.

FileWrite ("d:/test.txt", @mon & "/" & @Mday & "/" & @year)

Edit: Larry is aways a little faster..

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

killaz219,

Thanks to both you and Larry for your replies ... I can make some progress now .. but will probably have to report back for additional help when I hit a bump in the road.

JimH

Assuming you don't work for FTD, Inc. ... I will help...

- Search forum for "_FileSearch"

Lar.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I am not sure about 'FTD, Inc' (Florist ?) but I certainly don't work for them, whoever they are.

I have been performing the forum search for "_Filesearch" and it seems that you people have really been going to town creating numerous variations on a theme.

Can you possibly recommend a bullet-proof 'Newbie' version that simply handles a specific file name in a specific folder, and gives a 'Found / Not Found' response?

TIA,

JimH

I have been performing the forum search for "_Filesearch" and it seems that you people have really been going to town creating numerous variations on a theme.

Can you possibly recommend a bullet-proof 'Newbie' version that simply handles a specific file name in a specific folder, and gives a 'Found / Not Found' response?

If the exact path and filenames are known check the builtin FileExists command.

I guess that 'FTD, Inc' are the stupids that fired Larry and called him the day it self they fired him for some computer advices!

About examples, every AutoIt command have a least one meaningful command in the help file. Read it. :idiot:

Edited by ezzetabi