Prevent Standby

ali

Anyone know how to make the script prevent standby while it is running?

Like in realplayer...if you're playing something and u hit standby...it'll tell u that the system has received a request to enter standby mode and also asks you if you want the system to enter standby mode. (see attachment)

Any idea how to have the autoit do this?

I'm using a laptop and if i shut it while playing music (not in realplayer) then it will go into standby mode...so i was thinking that maybe a script could be written in autoit preventing standby while it is running....

any help plz?

Edited by ali

Ok try this

Open display properties by right clicking ur desktop

------->select the screensaver tab

------->click the button labled power...

There should be a pull down menu with the title system standby

This value is most likly set to on lid closed

------------->Just set it to never !

Edited by nova

then don't shut it. what you are talking about deals with an internal switch.

Open display properties by right clicking ur desktop and select the screensaver tab click the power... button on the botton of this tab

There should be a pull down menu with the title system standby..... its probly set to on lid closed just set it to never !

is right if you are able to do that, if not disabled by the admin. Edited by beerman

no but the laptop has been set by admin to standby when it is shut....so i want to prevent this....wethr u move the mouse or not...it still goes into standby.

it is a laptop. when closing the top. either shuts it off or powers down. there is generally a switch located in the top of it or on the bezel that does that.

Ali, i'm almost positive i've already told you this. This is Something we need Administrative Rights to Modify. Power options are disabled for us.

...and Lord Nikon looked down at his subjects, Prostrating themselves before his feet, his armies marching in the street, and his harem, standing on the side awaiting his need of their "relaxation" services and declared, "It is good...""I am A+ Certified!!!" -Lord Nikon"Pain is weakness leaving the body." -The Marines

So find a program to do that.  AutoIt isnt it.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Opt("SendKeyDelay", 1000)
; Run Notepad.
Run("notepad.exe")
; Wait for Notepad become active.
WinWaitActive("Untitled - ")
; Run endless loop to keep script alive.
While 1
; Send some text and a carrige return to notepad on each pass.
    Send("I will not go to sleep.{ENTER}")
  Sleep(5000)
WEnd

:idiot:

-Scott

This is not an idle-standby situation. Duh, of course AutoIt could prevent an idle-standby. This is a case where closing the lid on a laptop presses a button which puts the computer in standby. I don't really think the laptop cares if the mouse/keyboard is being used.

Have any of you fully read and processed what the original poster is saying, besides beerman? He needs an application that will respond to the standby notification the OS sends out by saying the OS should not go into standby. AutoIt can not do this. Set your PC up so that when you press the power button, it goes into standby instead of powering off. Thats basically the situation that ali is faced with, except instead of pressing power, closing the lid presses a button. In this circumstance, the PC doesn't care about idle times or activity. It gets a standby request and it tries to fullfill it unless another application gets in the way and tells it not to.

...its, an idea...not sure it will work with the Laptop Restrictions tho...

...and Lord Nikon looked down at his subjects, Prostrating themselves before his feet, his armies marching in the street, and his harem, standing on the side awaiting his need of their "relaxation" services and declared, "It is good...""I am A+ Certified!!!" -Lord Nikon"Pain is weakness leaving the body." -The Marines