[Resolved] Way to speak full days, months, time rather than numbers?

#include <Date.au3>

$oSp = ObjCreate("SAPI.SpVoice")
$oSp.Speak("It's")
Sleep(50)
$oSp.Speak(@MON & @MDAY & @YEAR)
Sleep(50)
$oSp.Speak(@HOUR & @MIN & "a.m.")
I tried all sorts of combinations for the date and time syntax for this script that will run in a.m., but I just get a number-style of readout and nothing like this:

"It's Tuesday, February 19, 2008, nine-thirty a.m.".

I've looked through the "Macros" entry in the help file but I couldn't find any macro syntax that would give the long form of readout that's needed instead of the number one. Is there anything that will do what's needed rather than the above number style?

Thanks! :)

Edited by Diana (Cda)

#include <Date.au3>

$oSp.Speak("It's")
Sleep(50)
$oSp.Speak(@MON & @MDAY & @YEAR)
Sleep(50)
I tried all sorts of combinations for the date and time syntax for this script that will run in a.m., but I just get a number-style of readout and nothing like this:

"It's Tuesday, February 19, 2008, nine-thirty a.m.".

I've looked through the "Macros" entry in the help file but I couldn't find any macro syntax that would give the long form of readout that's needed instead of the number one. Is there anything that will do what's needed rather than the above number style?

Thanks! :)

hah I am having fun with this now

$oSp.Speak("Today's date is " & @MON &  " " & @MDAY & " " & @YEAR)

if @Hour >=12 then 
    $oSp.Speak("The time is " & @HOUR & " " & @MIN & "P M")
Else
    $oSp.Speak("The time is " & @HOUR & " " & @MIN & "a m")
EndIf

Converted for 12 hour clock

$oSp.Speak("Today's date is " & @MON &  " " & @MDAY & " " & @YEAR)

if @Hour >= 12 then 
    if @Hour >= 13 Then
            $oSp.Speak("The time is " & @HOUR-12 & " " & @MIN & "P M")
    Else
            $oSp.Speak("The time is " & @HOUR & " " & @MIN & "P M")
    EndIf
Else
    $oSp.Speak("The time is " & @HOUR & " " & @MIN & "A M")
EndIf
Edited by ReaImDown
[u][font="Century Gothic"]~я α и d γ ĵ . ċ . ѕ қ ϊ и и ε я~- My Programs -auto shutdownSleep funcdisallow programs[/font][/u]

sorry, I just read the title :)

if @mon = 1 then

$Mon = "January

elseif @Moh = 2 then

$Mon = "February"

..........ETC

Endif

then make it read $Month instead of @Mon

Edited by ReaImDown
[u][font="Century Gothic"]~я α и d γ ĵ . ċ . ѕ қ ϊ и и ε я~- My Programs -auto shutdownSleep funcdisallow programs[/font][/u]

sorry, I just read the title :)

if @mon = 1 then

$Mon = "January

elseif @Moh = 2 then

$Mon = "February"

..........ETC

Endif

then make it read $Month instead of @Mon

Better yet

$m_Array = StringSplit("January|February|March|April|May|June|July|August|September|October|November|December", "|")
$d_Array = StringSplit("Sunday|Monday|Tuesday|Wednesday|Thursday|Friday|Saturday", "|")
$oSp.Speak("It's")
Sleep(50)
$oSp.Speak($m_Array(@MON) & $d_Array(@MDAY) & @YEAR)
Sleep(50)

Edit: Watch for line wrap in $m_Array

Edited by GEOSoft

George

Question about decompiling code? Read the decompiling FAQ and don't bother posting the question in the forums.

Be sure to read and follow the forum rules. -AKA the AutoIt Reading and Comprehension Skills test.***

The PCRE (Regular Expression) ToolKit for AutoIT - (Updated Oct 20, 2011 ver:3.0.1.13) - Please update your current version before filing any bug reports. The installer now includes both 32 and 64 bit versions. No change in version number.

Visit my Blog .. currently not active but it will soon be resplendent with news and views. Also please remove any links you may have to my website. it is soon to be closed and replaced with something else.

"Old age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill!"

GeoSoft - You don't even need that first array:

_DateToMonth(@MON, 0)

What I really don't need is to #include Date.au3. :)

George

Question about decompiling code? Read the decompiling FAQ and don't bother posting the question in the forums.

Be sure to read and follow the forum rules. -AKA the AutoIt Reading and Comprehension Skills test.***

The PCRE (Regular Expression) ToolKit for AutoIT - (Updated Oct 20, 2011 ver:3.0.1.13) - Please update your current version before filing any bug reports. The installer now includes both 32 and 64 bit versions. No change in version number.

Visit my Blog .. currently not active but it will soon be resplendent with news and views. Also please remove any links you may have to my website. it is soon to be closed and replaced with something else.

$m_Array = StringSplit("January|February|March|April|May|June|July|August|September|October|November|December", "|")
$d_Array = StringSplit("Sunday|Monday|Tuesday|Wednesday|Thursday|Friday|Saturday", "|")
$oSp.Speak("It's")
Sleep(50)
Sleep(50)
Edit: Watch for line wrap in $m_Array
No problems with word-wrap. I get an error, though, right under the "$" right at the beginning, like so:
$oSp.Speak($m_Array(@MON) ...
$oSp.Speak(^ ERROR

Error:  Error in expression.

• Developers

No problems with word-wrap. I get an error, though, right under the "$" right at the beginning, like so:

$oSp.Speak($m_Array(@MON) ...
$oSp.Speak(^ ERROR

Error:  Error in expression.
Arrays use squared bracket like : $m_Array[@MON].

Jos

SciTE4AutoIt3 Full installer Download page   - Beta files       Read before posting     How to post scriptsource   Forum etiquette  Forum Rules 

Live for the present,
Dream of the future,
Learn from the past.
  :)

Arrays use squared bracket like : $m_Array[@MON].

Jos

:) xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx :)

George

Won't be GEOSoft much longer! :)

Don't go there. Jos already did enough.

George

$objSp  = ObjCreate("SAPI.SpVoice")
$arrMonth = StringSplit("January|February|March|April|May|June|July|August|September|October|November|December", "|")
$arrDay   = StringSplit("Sunday|Monday|Tuesday|Wednesday|Thursday|Friday|Saturday", "|")
$arrHour  = StringSplit("1|2|3|4|5|6|7|8|9|ten|eleven|twelve", "|")
$intHour  = @HOUR
$intMin   = @MIN
$strHour  = ""
$strMin   = ""
$strAMPM  = ""

If $intHour > 12 Then
    $strAMPM = "PM"
    $strHour = $intHour - 12
Else
    $strAMPM = "AM"
    $strHour = $intHour
EndIf
If $intMin > 9 Then
    $strMin = $intMin
Else
    $strMin = "o " & $intMin; An O, not a zero (i.e. "twelve oh eight pm")
EndIf

$strSpeech = "It's, " & $arrDay[@WDAY] & ", " & $arrMonth[@MON] & ", " & @MDAY & ", " & @YEAR & ", at " & $strHour & " " & $strMin & " " & $strAMPM
$objSp.Speak($strSpeech)

Putting a comma in the speech will insert the delay you're trying to achieve.

My UDFs: ExitCodes

$arrMonth = StringSplit("January|February|March|April|May|June|July|August|September|October|November|December", "|")
$arrDay   = StringSplit("Sunday|Monday|Tuesday|Wednesday|Thursday|Friday|Saturday", "|")
$intHour  = @HOUR
$intMin   = @MIN
$strHour  = ""
$strMin   = ""
$strAMPM  = ""

If $intHour > 12 Then
    $strAMPM = "PM"
    $strHour = $intHour - 12
Else
    $strAMPM = "AM"
    $strHour = $intHour
EndIf
If $intMin > 9 Then
    $strMin = $intMin
Else
EndIf

$strSpeech = "It's, " & $arrDay[@WDAY] & ", " & $arrMonth[@MON] & ", " & @MDAY & ", " & @YEAR & ", at " & $strHour & " " & $strMin & " " & $strAMPM
$objSp.Speak($strSpeech)

I forgot how to set the pause in SAPI. I know there is a Pause command for Agent Character speech but I couldn't find the same thing for SAPI. Thanks

George

Change this line:

to

$oSp.Speak($m_Array[@MON] & $d_Array[@MDAY] & @YEAR)

Changed to:
$oSp.Speak("It's")
Sleep(50)
Sleep(50)
This is neat; I'm learning all sorts of AI errors I never knew about <lol>. Now I get this one, whatever the heck it means!

-----------------------

$oSp.Speak($m_Array[@MON] & ^ERROR

Error: Array variable has incorrect number of subscripts or subscript dimension range exceeded.

-----------------------

Thanks. :)

Edited by Diana (Cda)

$intHour  = @HOUR
$intMin   = @MIN
$strHour  = ""
$strMin   = ""
$strAMPM  = ""

If $intHour > 12 Then
    $strAMPM = "PM"
    $strHour = $intHour - 12
Else
    $strAMPM = "AM"
    $strHour = $intHour
EndIf
If $intMin > 9 Then
    $strMin = $intMin
Else
EndIf

$objSp.Speak($strSpeech)

Ah, neat. Sometimes that works and sometimes it doesn't in some apps. That's a neat replacement for the Sleep() code I had, for sure.

I stumbled upon using punctuation as a pause effect in my tts reminder/scheduler freeware called PUAC though the commas and other punctuation stopped working in XP as a means to pause between words (lots of stuff no longer works in XP <g>).

Anywho, this is great. I only needed an a.m. script but this is much better. I probably can just block out the p.m. script for the current need using ";", I'm guessing. Will try that for this current a.m. need.

There's only one little thing left re easily understanding spoken time. I need the 24-hour clock format so that must stay. Even my wrist watch is set to display in that format, esp. since all the posted bus schedules around town display in 24-hour mode so I got into the 24-hour habit nearly 20 years ago. The only difficulty with it is the leading zero. It's kind of weird having to stop for a half moment to translate "zero six forty-six a.m." to just plain "six forty-six a.m.". One last request although you've done so much already, is there a way to get it to not read those zeros?

I have an excellent talking time freeware, but it doesn't read off the date and the highest frequency it can be set to run is every 15 minutes. This script would be an incredible workaround where I get the best of both worlds. I'll put code in it to have it repeat every 5 minutes during critical period in morning (hey, I know how to do that now!! <g>).

Ah, neat. Sometimes that works and sometimes it doesn't in some apps. That's a neat replacement for the Sleep() code I had, for sure.

I stumbled upon using punctuation as a pause effect in my tts reminder/scheduler freeware called PUAC though the commas and other punctuation stopped working in XP as a means to pause between words (lots of stuff no longer works in XP <g>).

Anywho, this is great. I only needed an a.m. script but this is much better. I probably can just block out the p.m. script for the current need using ";", I'm guessing. Will try that for this current a.m. need.

There's only one little thing left re easily understanding spoken time. I need the 24-hour clock format so that must stay. Even my wrist watch is set to display in that format, esp. since all the posted bus schedules around town display in 24-hour mode so I got into the 24-hour habit nearly 20 years ago. The only difficulty with it is the leading zero. It's kind of weird having to stop for a half moment to translate "zero six forty-six a.m." to just plain "six forty-six a.m.". One last request although you've done so much already, is there a way to get it to not read those zeros?

I have an excellent talking time freeware, but it doesn't read off the date and the highest frequency it can be set to run is every 15 minutes. This script would be an incredible workaround where I get the best of both worlds. I'll put code in it to have it repeat every 5 minutes during critical period in morning (hey, I know how to do that now!! <g>).

Change this line

to

If @HOUR = 0 Then
   $sHour = "zero"
Else
   $sHour = $arrHour[@Hour]
EndIf
$strSpeech = "It's, " & $arrDay[@WDAY] & ", " & $arrMonth[@MON] & ", " & @MDAY & ", " & @YEAR & ", at " & $sHour & " " & $strMin

replace

with

$arrHour  = StringSplit("1|2|3|4|5|6|7|8|9|ten|eleven|twelve|thirteen|fourteen|fifteen|sixteen|seventeen|eighteen|ninete
en|twenty|twenty one|twenty two|twenty three", "|")

and change the following

$intHour  = @HOUR
$intMin   = @MIN
$strHour  = ""
$strMin   = ""
$strAMPM  = ""

If $intHour > 12 Then
    $strAMPM = "PM"
    $strHour = $intHour - 12
Else
    $strAMPM = "AM"
    $strHour = $intHour
EndIf
If $intMin > 9 Then
    $strMin = $intMin
Else
EndIf

to

$intMin   = @MIN

If $intMin > 9 Then
    $strMin = $intMin
Else
EndIf

Edit: Again watch for line wrap

Edited by GEOSoft

George

this code...

it's ok for you?

#include<Date.au3>
$objsp = ObjCreate("SAPI.SpVoice")
$hour = @HOUR - 0
$min = @MIN - 0
$strampm = "AM"
If $hour >= 12 Then $strampm = "PM"
If $hour > 12 Then $hour -= 12
If $hour = 0 Then $hour += 12
If $min < 10 Then $min = "o " & $min
$strspeech = "It's, " & _DateDayOfWeek(@WDAY, 0) & ", " & _DateToMonth(@MON, 0) & ", " & @MDAY & ", " & @YEAR & ", at " & $hour & " " & $min & " " & $strampm
ConsoleWrite($strspeech & @CRLF)
$objsp.Speak($strspeech)
Edited by psandu.ro