Internet Explorer setting to always open maximized

MadBoy

Hopefully this will get useful for others as it did for me. My collegue found out which registry entry is responsible for Maximized option in IE and so I've scripted it.

To change the Internet Explorer setting to always open maximized you have to first 18 chars from the value as described below:

-> HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main", "Window_Placement", "REG_BINARY"

When IE window is not maximized the key value is similar to this: 2C0000000000000001000000FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF160000001D0000003603000075020000

When IE window is maximized the key value is similar to this: 2C0000000200000003000000FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF160000001D0000003603000075020000

The only thing that changes is first 18 chars. Simply replacing them works as descrbed.

NOTE: the values after FFFFF are changing constantly depending on user settings so it will vary for every computer/user.

NOTE on the script. The script returns 1 if failed to change the key and returns 0 if everything is okey.

Global $reg_read, $reg_write
Global $reg_value = "2C0000000200000003"

$reg_read = RegRead("HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main", "Window_Placement")
If $reg_read <> "" Then
    $reg_write = RegWrite("HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main", "Window_Placement", "REG_BINARY", $reg_value & StringTrimLeft($reg_read, 18))
    If $reg_write = 1 Then Exit(0)
EndIf
Exit(1)

Regards,

MadBoy

My little company: Evotec (PL version: Evotec)

The problem is that like so many things Micro$oft, it tends to change when unasked. So altering the registry must be done time and time again. This is why people have written dedicated software to deal with this, like IE Window Maximizer and AutoSizer.

Edit: Oh, and this is one of the reasons I use Firefox. :)

Edited by HeffeD

• 7 years later...