How to Emulate hardware connected

Hi,

I know this is a bit off topic but I was hoping someone here might be able to give me some ideas.

I have just installed a piece of software that is used with intereactive whiteboards to create resources(flip charts a bit like powerpoint).

While the laptop is connected to the whiteboard, by serial on com1, everything is normal, if the software is run without the whiteboard connected then a message is constantly shown on the screen to let you know the hardware has not been detected. This is not a security feature, just a reminder to let you know that the whiteboard must not be switched on.

I'm hoping that I can find a way to emulate the connection to the com port so that this watemark/message across the screen does not show as it is quite distracting.

Would anyone know where I could find information on how to go about this? I have been doing a bit of seraching with google but nearly everything I have found is about cracking dongles for games and software, which is not really what I am looking for. I'm assuming that the software just sends a signal and checks to see if it receives one back from the whiteboard.

First thought: Contact the manufacture of the software and get them to release a version that allows you to hide the message when the hardware is not installed.

Second thought: Kill process that is searching for whiteboard manually, or use ProcessClose()

Third: close program.

fourth: If you really want to fool a program into thinking that the hardware is there, you could try to use hardware emulation. I have never used a Serial device emulator before, and even if you find something to do it, you would still need to work out how to communicate with the software.

Kerros

Kerros===============================================================How to learn scripting: Figure out enough to be dangerous, then ask for assistance.

Have you thought of making a loopback plug for the serial port?

RS-232 Loopback

Edited by GEOSoft

George

Question about decompiling code? Read the decompiling FAQ and don't bother posting the question in the forums.

Be sure to read and follow the forum rules. -AKA the AutoIt Reading and Comprehension Skills test.***

The PCRE (Regular Expression) ToolKit for AutoIT - (Updated Oct 20, 2011 ver:3.0.1.13) - Please update your current version before filing any bug reports. The installer now includes both 32 and 64 bit versions. No change in version number.

Visit my Blog .. currently not active but it will soon be resplendent with news and views. Also please remove any links you may have to my website. it is soon to be closed and replaced with something else.

"Old age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill!"

First thought: Contact the manufacture of the software and get them to release a version that allows you to hide the message when the hardware is not installed.

Second thought: Kill process that is searching for whiteboard manually, or use ProcessClose()

Third: close program.

fourth: If you really want to fool a program into thinking that the hardware is there, you could try to use hardware emulation. I have never used a Serial device emulator before, and even if you find something to do it, you would still need to work out how to communicate with the software.

Kerros

The manufacture doesn't have a version without the message, I have already tried them. So I'm stuck trying to work it out for myself.

The white board can connect by either serial or usb. There is a small application that installs with the drivers that sits in the system tray, this is what determines if the board is connected or not. I assume that the software then checks with that to see if it should display the message or not.

I'm hoping that I can find a tutorial from someone that has a similar problem.

Thanks for the reply

I've just run the serial port monitoring software on a workstation that is not connected. I have the following results:

16 27/02/2008 14:42:55 IRP_MJ_CREATE DOWN STATUS_SUCCESS

17 27/02/2008 14:42:55 IRP_MJ_CREATE UP STATUS_ACCESS_DENIED

[27/02/2008 14:42:55]

17 IRP_MJ_CREATE - Opens a COM port (COM1)

STATUS_ACCESS_DENIED

If anyone knows anything about this I'd much appreciate some advice.

I hadn't thought about a loopback plug, I just assumed that the software would need to communicate with the board.

I've downloaded a free copy of serial port monitoring softare, hopefully I can work something out from that.

And it may well have to. I just threw that out for consideration. Sorry, but I have no other ideas at the moment.

George

Question about decompiling code? Read the decompiling FAQ and don't bother posting the question in the forums.

Be sure to read and follow the forum rules. -AKA the AutoIt Reading and Comprehension Skills test.***

The PCRE (Regular Expression) ToolKit for AutoIT - (Updated Oct 20, 2011 ver:3.0.1.13) - Please update your current version before filing any bug reports. The installer now includes both 32 and 64 bit versions. No change in version number.

Visit my Blog .. currently not active but it will soon be resplendent with news and views. Also please remove any links you may have to my website. it is soon to be closed and replaced with something else.

"Old age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill!"