Remote Communication with TeamSpeak

Hi Guys.

I'm looking for opinions about the best way to proceed with a concept.

Scenario:

My wife and I have identical PC's at home but they are a bit old. We frequently play a MMORGP that our systems barely keep up with, but the game play is currently acceptable under normal circumstances. We play with a group of friends online and many of them use TeamSpeak to communicate. We would like to as well, however, having TS running in conjunction with the game on either of our systems slows them down to an unacceptable level of play.

I do have another (even older... ack) system, set up not too far from ours (See the attached image to get an idea of the desk layouts). I am thinking of using it for running TS.

Woot! problem solved... or not. I can stick some extensions on the speakers and microphone jacks to get them near my system (hell I could even move the entire other system under my desk if I had to) but how do I trigger the Push-To-Talk feature in TeamSpeak on that other system? I want to use PTT because I don't want to have an open mic all the time, and even the best headsets get uncomfortable after an extended period of time, and an extended peiod of time is the norm for MMORPGs. (Push-To-Talk or PTT is a feature of TeamSpeak where you can assign any designated key to open your mic so that you can be heard). I would rather not have another keyboard on my desk just for this feature. My current configuration is to have one of the many extra buttons on my mouse for speaking, it is very convient that way.

Proposed Solution:

I'm thinking that I can use TCPConnect() to set up a "server" on the 3rd PC and have a little client on my PC that will detect the button push and send a signal to the "server" to trigger the PTT feature.

Any other/better ideas for solving my issue?

- Bonus Points for anyone who can figure a way to allow my wife to also use a mic

Thanks

-Spook

post-7657-1204129967_thumb.jpg

[u]Helpful tips:[/u]If you want better answers to your questions, take the time to reproduce your issue in a small "stand alone" example script whenever possible. Also, make sure you tell us 1) what you tried, 2) what you expected to happen, and 3) what happened instead.[u]Useful links:[/u]BrettF's update to LxP's "How to AutoIt" pdfValuater's Autoit 1-2-3 Download page for the latest versions of Autoit and SciTE[quote]<glyph> For example - if you came in here asking "how do I use a jackhammer" we might ask "why do you need to use a jackhammer"<glyph> If the answer to the latter question is "to knock my grandmother's head off to let out the evil spirits that gave her cancer", then maybe the problem is actually unrelated to jackhammers[/quote]

well, you could either make a client server script for pushing the button on the remote pc (client pushes button while the server is sending the command).

OR

you could just take a POS keyboard that you may have laying around, and rewire one of the keys to a small push button on a wire. Then no scripting is required.

up to you. I would not be the best guy to help with client/server configurations, as I have little experience with network programing, but I'm sure there are plenty of smart people here to help you with that sort of project.

I thought I should mention that all the PC's are on a local network... maybe that was obvious though

@danwilli: I see where you are going with the "wire in a button" solution, and that is an option, but its less preferable than using a button on my own mouse.

[u]Helpful tips:[/u]If you want better answers to your questions, take the time to reproduce your issue in a small "stand alone" example script whenever possible. Also, make sure you tell us 1) what you tried, 2) what you expected to happen, and 3) what happened instead.[u]Useful links:[/u]BrettF's update to LxP's "How to AutoIt" pdfValuater's Autoit 1-2-3 Download page for the latest versions of Autoit and SciTE[quote]<glyph> For example - if you came in here asking "how do I use a jackhammer" we might ask "why do you need to use a jackhammer"<glyph> If the answer to the latter question is "to knock my grandmother's head off to let out the evil spirits that gave her cancer", then maybe the problem is actually unrelated to jackhammers[/quote]