Update Excel File while already open

Excel makes it so you can't have multiple copies of the xls file opened at the same to write to.

What I need to do is to be able to have multiple people write to the same xls file potentially at the same time.

Is there any way to do this using Locodarwin's Excel UDF?

Thanks

Excel makes it so you can't have multiple copies of the xls file opened at the same to write to.

What I need to do is to be able to have multiple people write to the same xls file potentially at the same time.

Is there any way to do this using Locodarwin's Excel UDF?

Thanks

I recall there isn't any trick to make an xls file multi-usable. Microsoft might have some Sharepoint stuff to solve that problem but I guess that's not what you want to do.

How about using MS Access? That's usually the next step from spreadsheets.

Another solution would be a program that manipulates the spreadsheet data. That way it would be locked only milliseconds when editing data. The helper program could be made with AutoIt or Excel also.

Another solution would be a program that manipulates the spreadsheet data. That way it would be locked only milliseconds when editing data. The helper program could be made with AutoIt or Excel also.

This is what I wanted to do. Is there a way to have A3 detect when/if the xls file is opened for editing so that the script waits for the xls to be closed before continuing with an edit to the xls file?

This is what I wanted to do. Is there a way to have A3 detect when/if the xls file is opened for editing so that the script waits for the xls to be closed before continuing with an edit to the xls file?

The Workbook/sheet object has a property that tells that it's in readonly mode. When the A3 script detects readonly, it could possibly sleep a sec and then try to open the sheet again and re-check for editing availability.

The Workbook/sheet object has a property that tells that it's in readonly mode. When the A3 script detects readonly, it could possibly sleep a sec and then try to open the sheet again and re-check for editing availability.

I will try this, thanks. If I need more assistance with this, I will post again here.

The ExcelCOM_UDF has a function to open a workbook, however, it will open the workbook in read-only if another person has it already it open.

This is not what I would like to have happen.

I would like the A3 script to detect if the xls file is opened (read-only) and if it is opened, wait for it not to be opened then open it in write mode.

Is this possible and if so, please provide example.

Thanks