WinSetOnTop

Hi there. I've been looking for answers and digging the documentation but I might be real dumb because I can't get what I need to work correctly... So I guess I need some help.

Goal : very simple, having a "Select folder" window opening on request with a hotkey and having it on top of other windows...

My script :

note > "Rechercher un dossier" is the Title of this kind of window on WinXP french. (I just copy/pasted what Au3Info gave me anyway)

HotKeySet("{F6}", "selectdialog")

Func selectdialog()
    $var = FileSelectFolder("Select a folder.", "D:\",1)
    If @error = 1 Then Exit
        WinSetOnTop("Rechercher un dossier", "", 1)
    MsgBox(4096,"Result","Folder selected : "&$var)
EndFunc

Don't answer with "it can't be on top of a 3rd-party app if it has its own "on-top" attribute" .. I'm not that noob, it doesn't work even with an explorer window... a browser window...or any other..

Are those select folder windows different from common windows? Isn't it possible to put them ontop? How to do that?

Help much appreciated because I wasted too many hours on this already.

Thanks.

I am not sure of "Rechercher un dossier" as a title (i am english) but a loop would help for a start to keep the script alive.

While 1
    Sleep(1000)
WEnd

Func selectdialog()
    $var = FileSelectFolder("Select a folder.", "D:\",1)
    If @error = 1 Then Exit
    WinSetOnTop("Rechercher un dossier", "", 1)
    MsgBox(4096,"Result","Folder selected : "&$var)
EndFunc

:)

• Moderators

You can't set it on top that way because it pauses the script until you get a response.

The way you have it written, you would expect to get the messagebox below before you did anything int he dialog:

[/autoit]

Edit:

Added #NoTrayIcon

Edited by Jon

Common sense plays a role in the basics of understanding AutoIt... If you're lacking in that, do us all a favor, and step away from the computer.

• Moderators

Since it won't let me edit my post without garbling it up again (2 AutoIt code blocks will do that ;) )... I couldn't get my folder browser to say anything but what I hard coded there... I thought that $sDialogText would change the title of the dialog ... but it didn't for me.

Edit2:

:) I think I totally mis-read what you wanted to do!

Edited by SmOke_N

Common sense plays a role in the basics of understanding AutoIt... If you're lacking in that, do us all a favor, and step away from the computer.

Your basic problem is that FileSelectFolder() is a blocking function. The script is paused, so it can't modify it's own dialog (same problem with MsgBox, for example).

The work around is to kick off a separate process to do either the function or the modification. This demo launches the file selection as a separate process, and handles the WinSetOnTop() with it's own loop. In order for the processes to communicate the selection, a hidden GUI is created with an input control to catch the path:

HotKeySet("{ESC}", "_Quit")

Global $sInput = "<None>"

While 1
    Sleep(20)
WEnd

Func selectdialog()
    ; Create GUI to receive input
    Local $hGUI = GUICreate("Hidden Input GUI", 300, 100)
    Local $ctrlInput = GUICtrlCreateInput("", 10, 10, 280, 30)
    GUISetState(@SW_HIDE)

ShellExecute(@AutoItExe, ' /AutoIt3ExecuteLine  ' & _
            '"ControlSetText(''Hidden Input GUI'', '''', Number(' & $ctrlInput & '), FileSelectFolder(''Select a folder.'', '''', 1))"')

WinWait('Browse For Folder', 'Select a folder.', 5)
    While 1
        If WinExists('Browse For Folder', 'Select a folder.') Then
            WinSetOnTop('Browse For Folder', 'Select a folder.', 1)
        Else
            $sInput = ControlGetText("Hidden Input GUI", "", $ctrlInput)
            GUIDelete($hGUI)
            ExitLoop
        EndIf
        Sleep(250)
    WEnd

MsgBox(64, "Input", "$sInput = " & $sInput)
EndFunc   ;==>selectdialog

Func _Quit()
    Exit
EndFunc   ;==>_Quit

This works either from SciTE or compiled.

Interestingly, it also works by running @ScriptFullPath in place of @AutoItExe in SciTE, but not if compiled that way... Hmm...

Edit: Ouch! Totaly upstaged by SmOke_N with the same idea!

Edited by PsaltyDS
Valuater's AutoIt 1-2-3, Class... Is now in Session!For those who want somebody to write the script for them: RentACoder"Any technology distinguishable from magic is insufficiently advanced." -- Geek's corollary to Clarke's law

I love you guys.. well it's almost 6 am and I'm in zombie mode already but you understood what i was trying to do 100%. I'll take a deeper look at this tomorrow since I can't do anything with half a neuron working but I just tried your scripts and that's perfect. Thank you very much !

<3 AutoIt community I always had nice people to help here the few times I came.

off to Morpheus arms! :)

Mayb this:

Global $handle, $SetTimer
Dim $Folder

$handle = DllCallbackRegister("_WinOnTop", "int", "")
$SetTimer = DllCall("User32.dll", "int", "SetTimer", "hwnd", 0, "int", 0, "int", 100, "ptr", DllCallbackGetPtr($handle))
$SetTimer = $SetTimer[0]

$Folder = FileSelectFolder("Choose your folder", "")
If Not @error Then MsgBox(0, "Folder Name", $Folder)

Func _WinOnTop()
    If WinExists("Browse For Folder") Then
        WinSetOnTop("Browse For Folder", "", 1)
        DllCallbackFree($handle)
        DllCall("user32.dll", "int", "KillTimer", "hwnd", 0, "int", $SetTimer)
    EndIf
EndFunc

• Moderators

Mayb this:

Dim $Folder

$SetTimer = DllCall("User32.dll", "int", "SetTimer", "hwnd", 0, "int", 0, "int", 100, "ptr", DllCallbackGetPtr($handle))
$SetTimer = $SetTimer[0]

Func _WinOnTop()
    If WinExists("Browse For Folder") Then
        WinSetOnTop("Browse For Folder", "", 1)
        DllCallbackFree($handle)
    EndIf
EndFunc
I looked at this and said Unique!... but it doesn't work ;)

I looked at this and said Unique!... but it doesn't work :)

I figured out what was wrong. The window title is "Browse for Folder" not "Browse For Folder".

This works:

Dim $Folder

$SetTimer = $SetTimer[0]

Func _WinOnTop()
    If WinExists("Browse for Folder") Then
        ConsoleWrite("CalledBack"&@LF)
        WinSetOnTop("Browse for Folder", "", 1)
        DllCallbackFree($handle)
    EndIf
EndFunc

- The Kandie Man ;-)

Edit

Fixed changed param for testing.

Edited by The Kandie Man

"So man has sown the wind and reaped the world. Perhaps in the next few hours there will no remembrance of the past and no hope for the future that might have been." & _"All the works of man will be consumed in the great fire after which he was created." & _"And if there is a future for man, insensitive as he is, proud and defiant in his pursuit of power, let him resolve to live it lovingly, for he knows well how to do so." & _"Then he may say once more, 'Truly the light is sweet, and what a pleasant thing it is for the eyes to see the sun.'" - The Day the Earth Caught Fire

• Moderators

I figured out what was wrong. The window title is "Browse for Folder" not "Browse For Folder".

This works:

Dim $Folder

$SetTimer = $SetTimer[0]

Func _WinOnTop()
    If WinExists("Browse for Folder") Then
        ConsoleWrite("CalledBack"&@LF)
        WinSetOnTop("Browse for Folder", "", 1)
        DllCallbackFree($handle)
    EndIf
EndFunc

- The Kandie Man ;-)

Edit

Fixed changed param for testing.

Nice catch...

Nice work rasim :) ... I like it a lot.

beta 3.2.11.2

New dialog style (option 2) = Browse For Folder

Old dialog style (default) = Browse for Folder

Thanks, I just noticed the new WinTitleMatchMode Options.

Place Opt("WinTitleMatchMode",-1) at the top of the script to make the title match non case sensitive.

- The Kandie Man ;-)

"So man has sown the wind and reaped the world. Perhaps in the next few hours there will no remembrance of the past and no hope for the future that might have been." & _"All the works of man will be consumed in the great fire after which he was created." & _"And if there is a future for man, insensitive as he is, proud and defiant in his pursuit of power, let him resolve to live it lovingly, for he knows well how to do so." & _"Then he may say once more, 'Truly the light is sweet, and what a pleasant thing it is for the eyes to see the sun.'" - The Day the Earth Caught Fire

I looked at your solution rasim and all I gotta say is.. wow. :)

My level isn't high enough to code that under 15-20 hours but at least I could understand it and it does the trick as well as I wanted ! I didn't have that little case issue since I just copy/pasted the window title with Au3Info and it's.. in french anyway hehe.

Ty again!

Edited by Oldwilly

• 1 year later...

I konw it's an old thread, but here is a method that works better and faster (set WinWaitDelay option to 0, and instead of title search used text search):

Global $hCallback, $iSetTimer, $sFSF_Title

$sFolder = _FileSelectFolderEx("Choose your folder", "", 0, "", 0, 1)
If Not @error Then MsgBox(0, "Folder Name", $sFolder)

Func _FileSelectFolderEx($sTitle, $sRootDir, $iFlag=0, $sInitDir="", $hWnd=0, $iOnTop=0)
    If Not $iOnTop Then Return FileSelectFolder($sTitle, $sRootDir, $iFlag, $sInitDir, $hWnd)

Local $sOld_Opt_WWD = Opt("WinWaitDelay", 0)

$hCallback = DllCallbackRegister("__FSF_Callback_Proc", "int", "")
    $iSetTimer = DllCall("User32.dll", "int", "SetTimer", "hwnd", 0, "int", 0, "int", 100, "ptr", DllCallbackGetPtr($hCallback))
    $iSetTimer = $iSetTimer[0]

$sFSF_Title = $sTitle

Local $sRet = FileSelectFolder($sTitle, $sRootDir, $iFlag, $sInitDir, $hWnd)
    Local $iError = @error

Opt("WinWaitDelay", $sOld_Opt_WWD)

Return SetError($iError, 0, $sRet)
EndFunc

Func __FSF_Callback_Proc()
    If Not WinExists("", $sFSF_Title) Then Return

WinSetOnTop("", $sFSF_Title, 1)
    DllCallbackFree($hCallback)
    DllCall("User32.dll", "int", "KillTimer", "hwnd", 0, "int", $iSetTimer)

Dim $hCallback = 0, $iSetTimer = 0, $sFSF_Title = ""
EndFunc

Spoiler

Using OS: Win 7 Professional, Using AutoIt Ver(s): 3.3.6.1 / 3.3.8.1

AutoIt_Rus_Community.png AutoIt Russian Community

My Work...

Spoiler

AutoIt_Icon_small.pngProjects: ATT - Application Translate Tool {new}| BlockIt - Block files & folders {new}| SIP - Selected Image Preview {new}| SISCABMAN - SciTE Abbreviations Manager {new}| AutoIt Path Switcher | AutoIt Menu for Opera! | YouTube Download Center! | Desktop Icons Restorator | Math Tasks | KeyBoard & Mouse Cleaner | CaptureIt - Capture Images Utility | CheckFileSize Program

AutoIt_Icon_small.pngUDFs: OnAutoItErrorRegister - Handle AutoIt critical errors {new}| AutoIt Syntax Highlight {new}| Opera Library! | Winamp Library | GetFolderToMenu | Custom_InputBox()! | _FileRun UDF | _CheckInput() UDF | _GUIInputSetOnlyNumbers() UDF | _FileGetValidName() UDF | _GUICtrlCreateRadioCBox UDF | _GuiCreateGrid() | _PathSplitByRegExp() | _GUICtrlListView_MoveItems - UDF | GUICtrlSetOnHover_UDF! | _ControlTab UDF! | _MouseSetOnEvent() UDF! | _ProcessListEx - UDF | GUICtrl_SetResizing - UDF! | Mod. for _IniString UDFs | _StringStripChars UDF | _ColorIsDarkShade UDF | _ColorConvertValue UDF | _GUICtrlTab_CoverBackground | CUI_App_UDF | _IncludeScripts UDF | _AutoIt3ExecuteCode | _DragList UDF | Mod. for _ListView_Progress | _ListView_SysLink | _GenerateRandomNumbers | _BlockInputEx | _IsPressedEx | OnAutoItExit Handler | _GUICtrlCreateTFLabel UDF | WinControlSetEvent UDF | Mod. for _DirGetSizeEx UDF

AutoIt_Icon_small.pngExamples: 
ScreenSaver Demo - Matrix included | Gui Drag Without pause the script | _WinAttach()! | Turn Off/On Monitor | ComboBox Handler Example | Mod. for "Thinking Box" | Cool "About" Box | TasksBar Imitation Demo

Like the Projects/UDFs/Examples? Please rate the topic (up-right corner of the post header: Rating AutoIt_Rating.gif)

* === My topics === *

==================================================
My_Userbar.gif

AutoIt is simple, subtle, elegant. © AutoIt Team

Or this simple method:

$sFolder = _FileSelectFolderEx("Choose your folder", "")
If Not @error Then MsgBox(0, "Folder Name", $sFolder)

Func _FileSelectFolderEx($sTitle, $sRootDir, $iFlag=0, $sInitDir="")
    Local $h_Parent = GUICreate("", 200, 200, 0, 0)
    WinSetOnTop($h_Parent, "", 1)

Return FileSelectFolder($sTitle, $sRootDir, $iFlag, $sInitDir, $h_Parent)
EndFunc

Spoiler

Using OS: Win 7 Professional, Using AutoIt Ver(s): 3.3.6.1 / 3.3.8.1

AutoIt_Rus_Community.png AutoIt Russian Community

My Work...

Spoiler

AutoIt_Icon_small.pngProjects: ATT - Application Translate Tool {new}| BlockIt - Block files & folders {new}| SIP - Selected Image Preview {new}| SISCABMAN - SciTE Abbreviations Manager {new}| AutoIt Path Switcher | AutoIt Menu for Opera! | YouTube Download Center! | Desktop Icons Restorator | Math Tasks | KeyBoard & Mouse Cleaner | CaptureIt - Capture Images Utility | CheckFileSize Program

AutoIt_Icon_small.pngUDFs: OnAutoItErrorRegister - Handle AutoIt critical errors {new}| AutoIt Syntax Highlight {new}| Opera Library! | Winamp Library | GetFolderToMenu | Custom_InputBox()! | _FileRun UDF | _CheckInput() UDF | _GUIInputSetOnlyNumbers() UDF | _FileGetValidName() UDF | _GUICtrlCreateRadioCBox UDF | _GuiCreateGrid() | _PathSplitByRegExp() | _GUICtrlListView_MoveItems - UDF | GUICtrlSetOnHover_UDF! | _ControlTab UDF! | _MouseSetOnEvent() UDF! | _ProcessListEx - UDF | GUICtrl_SetResizing - UDF! | Mod. for _IniString UDFs | _StringStripChars UDF | _ColorIsDarkShade UDF | _ColorConvertValue UDF | _GUICtrlTab_CoverBackground | CUI_App_UDF | _IncludeScripts UDF | _AutoIt3ExecuteCode | _DragList UDF | Mod. for _ListView_Progress | _ListView_SysLink | _GenerateRandomNumbers | _BlockInputEx | _IsPressedEx | OnAutoItExit Handler | _GUICtrlCreateTFLabel UDF | WinControlSetEvent UDF | Mod. for _DirGetSizeEx UDF

AutoIt_Icon_small.pngExamples: 
ScreenSaver Demo - Matrix included | Gui Drag Without pause the script | _WinAttach()! | Turn Off/On Monitor | ComboBox Handler Example | Mod. for "Thinking Box" | Cool "About" Box | TasksBar Imitation Demo

Like the Projects/UDFs/Examples? Please rate the topic (up-right corner of the post header: Rating AutoIt_Rating.gif)

* === My topics === *

My_Userbar.gif

AutoIt is simple, subtle, elegant. © AutoIt Team