Display Brightness

I've searched multiple times on Google to see if there was a way to change the brightness of a monitor through a script, and I've found no suitable answers. Anyone ever tried this? Anyone know how to change the brightness of a monitor through a script?

I have Windows XP Home Edition and my computer is a Dell Inpirion E1705.

does your PC have software controls in place to manage this? If not, then you may be out of luck. If so, then you may be able to automate them by scripthing the controls that the software has. A second route is to see if the software controls supports command line.

I've searched multiple times on Google to see if there was a way to change the brightness of a monitor through a script, and I've found no suitable answers. Anyone ever tried this? Anyone know how to change the brightness of a monitor through a script?

I think monitor brightness would only be software controllable if the monitor came with utility. Then scripting it would require that utility to expose an interface, or you would have to work with GUI for it. In addition, that would be highly specific the make/model of the monitor (not the computer, unless its a laptop).

:)

Valuater's AutoIt 1-2-3, Class... Is now in Session!For those who want somebody to write the script for them: RentACoder"Any technology distinguishable from magic is insufficiently advanced." -- Geek's corollary to Clarke's law

There is a WmiMonitorBrightnessMethods Class, but it's only available on Vista/Server 2008 :)

http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/a...538(VS.85).aspx

Edited by ResNullius

The default way to change the brightness is through FN + Up/Down.

"FN + Up/Down" ...?

You mean this is built into a laptop's BIOS then?

:)

Valuater's AutoIt 1-2-3, Class... Is now in Session!For those who want somebody to write the script for them: RentACoder"Any technology distinguishable from magic is insufficiently advanced." -- Geek's corollary to Clarke's law

The default way to change the brightness is through FN + Up/Down.

"default way"???

On your laptop maybe Justin. On mine it's FN+F6/F7.

The placement of these things are left up to the discretion of the laptop manufacturer.

Given that (and also I don't believe there's a standard key/scan code for the FN button) make scripting something emulating those keystrokes unreliable for all but personal/machine specific use.

Edited by ResNullius