Help with automating DCOM permissions

abb

I'm writing a tool that performs a series of DCOM configuration tasks and have had some difficulty retrieving and setting the system level Default Authentication Level and Default Impersonation Level. I have utilized dcomperm.exe in the script to retrieve and set various parameters based on an AppID but this does not appear to be possible with dcomperm.exe on the system (read My Computer) level.

I have been able however to get and set the system level Default Authentication and Impersonation Level via the registry but it seems that the manipulated keys (HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Ole:LegacyAuthenticationLevel and LegacyImpersonationLevel) are not always present on all systems. I am working with Windows XP SP2 for the time being.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

ABB

Well I've found the solution hidden here: http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/m...741(VS.85).aspx

It seems that if the registry values mentioned in my previous post do not exist, the values of Connect and Identify are inherited (from where I don't know). However, I have decided to use the @error logic such that if RegRead returns @error -1 then the current values are inherited as above.